This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#282448 by Guitarman57
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:48 pm
This is my first post on the forums, though I've been a Bandmix member for a while. Are there any snowbird musicians out there that are looking to keep busy in the business? At this point in my life, I'm retired and split my time between two homes. In the winter, that means Central Florida, and in the summer, that means New York's Capital District. It would be cool to hook up with some folks that are of a similar mindset and situation. That might even mean that it's a different bunch of folks in each location, and that would be fine. Folks of my age and experience tend to pull stuff together quickly and if it's the same bunch of folks each summer or winter, that would seem to make it easier to do so. I get the whole "dedicated to the band" thing and "we need someone permanent", but I would think there's a lot of talent available out there that given the right set of circumstances, could be out there making music and perhaps even a couple bucks in the process. It could be an acoustic duo or trio, a cover band, or even one that does a mix of cover and original material. I CAN'T be the only one out here that doesn't want to stop playing just because I'm retired and hate the cold! :D
#283235 by schmedidiah
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:58 am
Number one. This forum has pretty much dozens of visitors a day and about a dozen regular posters. You're looking for something very specific. Definitely too specific for here and even the profiles in Bandmix at large where you actually search for musicians to play with.
I would try Craigslist and use Google to search in Craigslist even. Keywords, names of locations you're looking into, instruments, genres, everything. Also consider starting a Facebook group dedicated to this subject. There are exciting things going on in that area right now. Good luck!
#283251 by Displaced Pianist
Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:31 pm
I get what you're after here, and on some level it sounds like a fun thing to do, but perhaps my experience will be of some value to you. I live in Tampa, and rent out rooms in a unit I own--easy extra income. At one point, a couple of friends suggested a guy who I thought was looking to rent, and he got in touch w/ me. He was a sax player from Ohio and was looking for an arrangement similar to what you outline, specifically mentioning the 'snowbird' thing--he didn't like cold weather. But there were a few gotchas.

First, he wanted the keys to the place, and wanted to be able to come and go (between Ohio and Florida) whenever he pleased, for as short or long as he liked, w/ no prior notice; I would need to give up any idea of renting the space. In exchange, I would have the privilege of hosting a musician--something I could apparently brag about to my friends? There would be no payment of rent (after all, I would have the privilege of hosting a musician), nor would I be able to run any background check. He didn't have a job (there or here), but told me the clubs down here would be happy to trumpet his arrival, find a suitable crew of musicians to support his grandeur (if he liked my chops, maybe he would throw me a bone every now and then), advertise his gigs extensively and hand him the entire gate proceeds (the clubs would pay his supporting crew). Btw, I checked, and he was largely unknown in Ohio...or anywhere else. He was gonna come down and show us rubes what jazz was all about, for which (he said) we would surely pay him handsomely. And I would get to see to all of his needs, including food, lodging, cleaning, etc. Lucky me!

I declined this magnanimous offer, of course, and he then asked me to find him a place to stay and make all the arrangements for his arrival. I wondered if he wanted me to book--and pay for--a first-class flight to Tampa and get him a rental car (in my name and on my credit card, of course), but didn't bother to ask. Instead, I mentioned google.

YMMV, and maybe you won't encounter anyone like this--sure hope not, anyway. I'm just tossing it out as something to consider. Good luck.
#283261 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:39 pm
I auditioned for a Neil Young tribute band about 1-1/2 years ago, turned out the guy trying to organize this venture did his summers in Florida (and was back in New England in the winter because he was a hockey photographer). Doesn't really sound like a viable venture, as it's 2 groups of people, one for 3-4 months a year, the other for 8-9 months. Unless you happen to find a group of players all willing to be doing the same back-and-forth.
#284525 by pman_drums
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:25 pm
I live in Charlotte, NC and am NOT retired. I am available to travel to Florida on Short notice for about $150.00. The last time I was in Florida was a couple of years ago for the Sarasota Blues Festival one of the Sponsors was Blind Pig records. I didn't need to bring a backline, it was provided for me. If I were looking for an ideal situation where I could go to Florida and play music, depending on the city, I would have a roof over my head. I could probably rent a drum kit or borrow one which would save me the 12 hour drive one way to bring it.

But, I am open to the possibilities and the excuse for playing with other talented musicians in Florida on short notice, as long as the gig makes sense.
Hit me back all of my contact info is on the Bandmix site.

PMAN