This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#280179 by Mike_krunch
Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:54 pm
OK I'm fairly new to this sight and I have some Bitching to do, 1st off in order to get on this forum you need to start Another login and then they charge you more??? WTF!! Ok now here is a serious complaint about the musicians on here.
-1st pick an instrument I don't care if you know a few notes on a washboard what instrument DO YOU PLAY. Dont list 15 f**k things which one are you looking to play in a band. I search for vocalist and I get drummers, I look for drummers and I get guitarst, reason being people list Oh I play a little bit of drums too. Who cares.
-2nd don't start a page and then tell me to email you somewhere else, WTF??? are you looking for a band or NOT, this should be simple.
-3rd If you say you worship a certain style of band or musician and then I message you because you fit the bill , don't ignore me. State what you want and for god sakes at least return a message
-4th what your influences are and what you play and what you are looking to play are not always the same thing. Again state WTF you are looking for.
#280353 by Mordgeld
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:54 pm
Eh, my 2 cents...

1st - Agree...I don't list it if I don't actually do it for real in a band or project.
2nd - I think that there are certain restrictions on who can contact whom based on whether they pay or not. BM will mess up outside URLs and emails if posted up obviously. It is not clear what the restrictions are and people just want to get on with communication. Maybe I misunderstand your point.
3rd - People who respond are the exception.
4th - People are generally horrible about filling out the info. If profiles would age out for people who gave up already and haven't logged in for months, that might clean things up.
#280374 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:54 pm
You do need to start a new log-in for this forum, but it can be the same as your profile log-in. And you don't pay ANYTHING for this forum, and don't have to be a premium member to use it. Premium service allows your to private message any other members. It also used to allow you to upload more MP3 music, seems that they have increased the amount non-premium members can upload now.
People who show an email address in their profiles are doing that because they know that most people don't pay for premium membership and need a way to contact them.
If someone doesn't respond to a PM, it may because 1) they turned off email notifications and don't check back here; 2) they're just rude ( a lot of musicians are, if you hadn't figured that out yet). Always check the profile to see when it was last accessed - if it's over a month, don't bother with them!
#280380 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:31 pm
Mike_krunch wrote:OK I'm fairly new to this sight and I have some Bitching to do, 1st off in order to get on this forum you need to start Another login and then they charge you more??? WTF!! Ok now here is a serious complaint about the musicians on here.
-1st pick an instrument I don't care if you know a few notes on a washboard what instrument DO YOU PLAY. Dont list 15 f**k things which one are you looking to play in a band. I search for vocalist and I get drummers, I look for drummers and I get guitarst, reason being people list Oh I play a little bit of drums too. Who cares.
-2nd don't start a page and then tell me to email you somewhere else, WTF??? are you looking for a band or NOT, this should be simple.
-3rd If you say you worship a certain style of band or musician and then I message you because you fit the bill , don't ignore me. State what you want and for god sakes at least return a message
-4th what your influences are and what you play and what you are looking to play are not always the same thing. Again state WTF you are looking for.

Just took a look at your profile - you say you are searching for someone for a 'short term project'. That could be the real turnoff for a lot of people. Putting effort and time into rehearsals without any long-term goals isn't worth it to many people, unless they are getting paid for rehearsal time, too.
#280625 by Mike_krunch
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:20 pm
george1146561 wrote:
GuitarMikeB wrote:Just took a look at your profile - you say you are searching for someone for a 'short term project'. That could be the real turnoff for a lot of people. Putting effort and time into rehearsals without any long-term goals isn't worth it to many people, unless they are getting paid for rehearsal time, too.

It's also for a genre of music from yesterday. I like that kind of music, but I'm older than dirt. From your profile, you can't tell if this is a paid gig or a "fun" hobby level project. Not that there's anything wrong with fun, hobby level projects. But if that's what it is, say so. If it's a professional project, say so. I also notice that you're in LA. That could explain a lot about your responses or lack thereof.
Mordgeld wrote:Eh, my 2 cents...

1st - Agree...I don't list it if I don't actually do it for real in a band or project.
2nd - I think that there are certain restrictions on who can contact whom based on whether they pay or not. BM will mess up outside URLs and emails if posted up obviously. It is not clear what the restrictions are and people just want to get on with communication. Maybe I misunderstand your point.
4th - People are generally horrible about filling out the info. If profiles would age out for people who gave up already and haven't logged in for months, that might clean things up.

At one point I did advertise that this would be a paid project, rehearsals gigs etc. but it seemed that didn't work either. I did change from short term project to Side Project. And yes a lot has to do with being in LA. Thanks for your input.
#280626 by Mike_krunch
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:21 pm
Mike_krunch wrote:
george1146561 wrote:
GuitarMikeB wrote:Just took a look at your profile - you say you are searching for someone for a 'short term project'. That could be the real turnoff for a lot of people. Putting effort and time into rehearsals without any long-term goals isn't worth it to many people, unless they are getting paid for rehearsal time, too.

It's also for a genre of music from yesterday. I like that kind of music, but I'm older than dirt. From your profile, you can't tell if this is a paid gig or a "fun" hobby level project. Not that there's anything wrong with fun, hobby level projects. But if that's what it is, say so. If it's a professional project, say so. I also notice that you're in LA. That could explain a lot about your responses or lack thereof.
Mordgeld wrote:Eh, my 2 cents...

At one point I did advertise that this would be a paid project, rehearsals gigs etc. but it seemed that didn't work either. I did change from short term project to Side Project. And yes a lot has to do with being in LA. Thanks for your input.

#280628 by Mike_krunch
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:35 pm
george1146561 wrote:
Mike_krunch wrote: -1st pick an instrument I don't care if you know a few notes on a washboard what instrument DO YOU PLAY. Dont list 15 f**k things which one are you looking to play in a band. I search for vocalist and I get drummers, I look for drummers and I get guitarst, reason being people list Oh I play a little bit of drums too. Who cares.

The thing is, there are a lot of really versatile musicians who can play multiple instruments. Sure, there are people who are really crappy on several instruments. But there are others who can make entire albums on their own playing every instrument needed. One of the best bass players I ever worked with was primarily a drummer. However, his background was as a classical music percussionist, so he could play a trap set, but also tympani, glockenspiels, marimbas, and any other instrument you played by banging on it. He knew notes and music theory, and could sight read and play anything you put in front of him. I list several instruments, because I am equally as inept on six string, 12 string, and bass. And, I also sing. I have some news for you. There are a lot of singers who also play guitars or bass. Not too many sing and play sax at the same time, for obvious reasons.

Mike_krunch wrote:-2nd don't start a page and then tell me to email you somewhere else, WTF??? are you looking for a band or NOT, this should be simple.

Many people I know check into to Bandmix once every month or two, whether they need to or not. They check their regular e-mail daily.

Mike_krunch wrote: -3rd If you say you worship a certain style of band or musician and then I message you because you fit the bill , don't ignore me. State what you want and for god sakes at least return a message

See the response to #2, above. If you only contact through Bandmix, and the person you're contacting only checks in every month or two, they won't see your message. Or, maybe you reached out to someone who didn't take you seriously because you came across as a doofus in how you communicated.

Mike_krunch wrote: -4th what your influences are and what you play and what you are looking to play are not always the same thing. Again state WTF you are looking for.

Well, if you expect others to communicate articulately, and there's every reason why you should, then you should also be equally as precise about what you are looking for. I have to be honest, over the past five decades, I've found myself in musical projects that I had never thought I'd want to be involved in until I tried them. I suspect that a lot of people are similar to me in having a broad range of openness about what we're willing to take a shot at.

I never thought I'd want to be in an acoustic guitar cover duo, until I was messing around with a guy from my church and discovered it was fun. We worked on a few songs and played a few open mics. I enjoyed it, but I never would have advertised that was what I was looking for. I replied to a Craigslist ad for a position as a rhythm guitarist at a church a little over a decade ago. Turns out is wasn't at all what I expected, but it worked out well and I stuck with it until I got transferred to another city.

If you're going to whine about not finding what you want, perhaps you might share with us what it is that you're specifically looking for? Maybe you're looking for something that just ain't out there. I remember a Craigslist ad that a guy used to run almost daily looking for people to join a project to create a progressive medieval heavy metal Christian band. I don't think anyone could even figure out what that was. Was he talking Blackmore's Night through Marshall stacks with lots of synths and Gregorian chant vocals? Or amplified lutes instead of guitars? What he said he was looking for was so vague, no one could figure out what he wanted, and he came across as being more than a little bit bizarre and possibly hard to work with. He didn't seem to have any success, and apparently gave up.

I have listed exactly what I am looking for. I guess I'm just frustrated because this is why I lost interest in playing in the first place. I love playing, writing, expressing and the creative aspect and performing is pure sex. But damn after awhile it's like have a super hot chick who just gets on your nerves. I guess now that I'm older I don't want to spend/waste my time on people. I don't get and never understood musicians. They claim this is what they want to do for the rest of their life and yet don't have a demo or decent equipment. Still bumming rides. still don't have any cash. But I think more importantly we are all in the together. I wish there was a little more common courtesy. If I take the time to look you up, read your profile, listen to your tracks maybe even do a google search etc and you can't even return a message, just seems unprofessional to me. I have had 2 people say, thank you for the compliment but I am not interested at this time. Or something of that nature. IDK, for me $20 a month to have this page up is not a financial burden on me. I wan't to be able to message you here and not flip back and forth. I get it, they don't wanna pay, but then these are the same people who claim music is their life. Perhaps I made the biggest mistake by growing up and/or thinking people-musicians have changed. Thanks for the response and input though. I have taken the suggestions into consideration and made some updates to my profile. Good looking out. Thank you.
#280629 by Mike_krunch
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:38 pm
BTW I'll try laying off the Whine and just stick to Beer. Thanks again guys.
#280647 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:41 pm
I think what you may find (but LA could be different) is that past a certain age, most musicians are no longer trying to make a living at it, but want to have fun (making a little money too makes it even more fun) - if it looks like too much work, then they don't want to bother. I've met guys who 'just want to jam' and if they get 'beer money', they're happy with it. Others who don't want to do the homework necessary to be a gigging band - 'rehearsal' is a 4-letter word to them, and frankly when I hear the 'bands' these guys play in, they sound like sh*t most of the time.
Now the younger musicians look at anyone over the age of 55 (or sometimes younger than that) as 'too old to be serious', or 'too serious to be fun'. I'm playing with 2 guys now that are more than 10 years younger than me - but I look (a little) younger than I am, and they didn't ask my age before I auditioned!
#281110 by Vampier
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:04 pm
I believe that what most seek is professionalism ... even if they do not admit it up front. This raises the questions ... Too young to be professional ? Too old to be professional ? A brain, a personality, reliability, honesty, responsibility, morality, capability and courtesy ... good luck finding these. Most can not even spell simple words correctly or use grammar in their "First" language. This is not ironclad but ... if you do not present yourself or what you want in a decent manner ... how can you expect to find anyone ?

It is frustrating but that goes with the turf. Understand this, accept this and proceed or not. BM in my opinion does an excellent job when compared to the other such SITES. All this said I can understand what many say and I firmly believe that the most formidable obstacle is not BM. not the ads but it is the state of the general population. Society has been purposefully fragmented for several generations now and this means the results of all this are becoming manifest. The gene pool is degenerating ... this affects everything including the capabilities and competence of "available musos. Each new generation is worse, more retarded and less competent. Of course there are exceptions always but their numbers are also decreasing proportionately.

Then there are the crumbling vestiges of "economics" and this translates into virtually every aspect of all of our lives. I have my own solutions but they are not for most and more "purist" and "all encompassing" for the vast majority.

The standard processes of existence are changing rapidly and this means that the conservative solution is losing out to possibly more and more radical ones. In short it is fast becoming a mad house of circus like so called "Artists" who are usually quite lacking in basic speech, memory, understanding, talent, honesty, loyalty and most of all COMMITMENT. I truly wish I could be more "positive" but I can not. Good Luck to everyone however and stick to your original objectives ... do not change things "thinking" you will attract more. Be who and what you are and HONEST about what you seek. Perhaps you will find someone better suited. Society is becoming more stupid, rude and retarded in general so EVERYTHING therefore is influenced by this .... like IQ's.
#281124 by Planetguy
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:35 pm
george1146561 wrote:
I've encountered too many assholes who refuse to work with anyone who plays an Epiphone or Squier instead of a Gibson or Fender. Or jerks who sneer down their noses at anyone who plays a stock, straight from the factory guitar with no expensive and/or extensive mods. Or the idiots who look at gear specs and ignore the actual playing of a potential bandmate.

I'm 61 yrs old and have played in countless bands, auditioned, and auditioned many along the way, and in general have been around fellow musicians since H.S.

Happy to say I haven't run into anyone like that. Not doubting that you have or that they do in fact exist....just relating my exp.

Too often what I have encountered (and what i think is much more commonplace) is dealing w those have have only 50% of what I need from a bandmate.

Being BOTH a capable musician AND someone I can stand to be in a room with. Too often it's a super nice guy/gal who lacks the requisite musical skills. Or .....it's a capable player who's a jerk.

Finding someone who has that whole pkg together...THAT'S always been the challenge. On that score I'm super lucky to be playing w four groups....all very capable and talented musicians. and all fine upstanding human beings....smart, funny, easy to get along with responsible adults. 8)