This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#281155 by Cajundaddy
Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:42 pm
Planetguy wrote:
george1146561 wrote:
I've encountered too many assholes who refuse to work with anyone who plays an Epiphone or Squier instead of a Gibson or Fender. Or jerks who sneer down their noses at anyone who plays a stock, straight from the factory guitar with no expensive and/or extensive mods. Or the idiots who look at gear specs and ignore the actual playing of a potential bandmate.

I'm 61 yrs old and have played in countless bands, auditioned, and auditioned many along the way, and in general have been around fellow musicians since H.S.

Happy to say I haven't run into anyone like that. Not doubting that you have or that they do in fact exist....just relating my exp.

Too often what I have encountered (and what i think is much more commonplace) is dealing w those have have only 50% of what I need from a bandmate.

Being BOTH a capable musician AND someone I can stand to be in a room with. Too often it's a super nice guy/gal who lacks the requisite musical skills. Or .....it's a capable player who's a jerk.

Finding someone who has that whole pkg together...THAT'S always been the challenge. On that score I'm super lucky to be playing w four groups....all very capable and talented musicians. and all fine upstanding human beings....smart, funny, easy to get along with responsible adults. 8)

This^^
Growing a circle of musician friends is a lifelong process and I value these relationships. I primarily play in one band with occasional side projects here and there and we do rotate in sub players when a regular is not available. Most of us have well-worn instruments that we know well, but no one is using a touring rig to play city concerts and car shows. While there are no Steve Vai or Neil Peart players, everyone has enough skill to do what we want to do.

Competent tools and talent, show up on time, understand the language of music so you can communicate effectively with other players, and be free from the grip of substance abuse. These are the experienced musicians that are always working.
#281158 by Cajundaddy
Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:22 pm
Ok Mike Krunch I just checked out your profile to see what other musicians are seeing.

What I liked:
Solid guitar chops, pretty high production values, and a band that sounds tight.

What I didn't like:
Very low paid gig potential. If I were a booking agent, could I get you regular paid gigs around SoCal? Not likely. Original Metal music usually means pay-to-play for 30 minute showcases with no audience except the other bands and their friends. Few paid gigs and no record company with interest enough to support the project, so everything will have to be funded out of pocket. As a musician your project looks like a lot of work and rehearsal with little or nothing to come from it. If I were a solid gigging drummer or skilled lead vocalist I would keep looking. JMHO

Maybe take a long look at this from other musicians point of view. What is in it for them?
#281167 by Cajundaddy
Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:42 am
george1146561 wrote:
Cajundaddy wrote:Maybe take a long look at this from other musicians point of view. What is in it for them?

I make no secret of the fact that I make music to please myself. I knew early on that I'd never make a living as a musician, or as an actor. Those two activities feed and nurture my spirit, even though I have to do other work to keep a roof over my head, etc. I am not ashamed of that. I always knew that it might come to pass that I'd end up in a band with a really, really great songwriter/frontman and I could ride his coattails to a good living, or that a sitcom pilot that I was in could get picked up and suddenly I'd be making big bucks. But such an occurrence would be like hitting the lottery, and not something I could count on.

So, if I consider a musical project, the first, last, and only thing I ask myself is would I be making the kind of music that gives me satisfaction for performing. So, if I get an invitation to join a band or project making music that I want to make, I don't really give a damn if it's not all that popular, or if I'll never make much money or get to play for big crowds.

YMMV

And you also play mostly solo. Nothing wrong with playing only the music you love to thin audiences if it is what you want to do. The problem comes when trying to attract other musicians to play only the music you love to thin audiences for little or no money. They might want to play only the music they love and everyone loves something a bit different. So as Mike K clearly explains, it's pretty hard to attract talented players this way.

I did this with a band for a year playing pretty intense 70s jazz fusion stuff like Weather Report, The Yellowjackets, RTF, etc. We thought this music was the bees knees and we were going to be the next fusion sensation. It was a lot of work and we woodshedded furiously and sounded pretty good. No paid gigs ever :cry: . The band moved on to other things but we kept in touch.

The reality is we all wanted to gig live, not spend eternity in the rehearsal studio. In order to do this we needed to play music we liked that a LOT of other people liked too. This attracted paying gigs, and regular paying gigs attracted talented players who shared our love to play live music to an audience. We do this for fun, and for us "fun" requires an audience. Getting paid to play keeps the band happy and keeps the promotional ball rolling with no $$ out of pocket to enjoy ourselves making music. This musician model won't work for everyone but it does work for us and most of the bands we know that play live often.

Do the music you love but when it comes to band mates always remember: What's in it for them?
#281207 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:25 pm
^^^What Cajundaddy said^^^ X2
#281316 by schmedidiah
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:38 pm
Obese Want Canolie wrote:I did not ask for any metal , and why you asshats keep on with all this metal is beyond me. There are umpteen other kinds of music out there pick one and play / discuss it. There that was easy.

Metal rules your dumb troll ass wee willie! :twisted:
#281458 by zar535135
Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:52 pm
Nothing wrong with a Musician listing the instruments they are capable of playing. Being versatile increases their opportunities.
My issue with Band mix, is that unless you are a premium member there is no way to contact/message people, so short of posting in the Forums, it's useless.
Your post sounds more like whining than a legitimate complaint...
#281460 by schmedidiah
Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:52 pm
zar535135 wrote: so short of posting in the Forums, it's useless.
stick around and do that. Please.
zar535135 wrote: Your post sounds more like whining than a legitimate complaint...

I've been on here almost daily for over 3 years and the complaints are so common it should be a sticky thread at the top of the menu. But that would mean admin admits this place is far from working at all, much less perfectly :roll:
#281461 by zar535135
Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:53 pm
I joined a number of yrs ago and after immediately having to deal with the "Bad Attitudes" of some of the "veteran" members, I realized this site was pretty much good for nothing.
As I stated before, unless you're a Premium member, there is very little to nothing to offer to the remaining visitors. I'm good for an occasional visit a few times a year
#281465 by schmedidiah
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:57 am
zar535135 wrote:I joined a number of yrs ago and after immediately having to deal with the "Bad Attitudes" of some of the "veteran" members

F 'em! :twisted: