This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#264007 by J-HALEY
Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:55 pm
I like both songs! I especially like the interwoven guitar parts in Mother's Down. Congrats on well written songs!
#264036 by Jahva
Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:34 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:At least Admin created a forum section for all that non-music crap, so its not mixed into the general section of the forum any more. I actually used a lot of the fodder as basis for new lyrics - expect occasional ripping guitar on my 5th album (#4 is in process right now).

Yeah I see that Mike... good idea... they must've listened to all of us that use to bitch about it on the main page... :lol:
It does make sense though... everyone has a place or places to hang out share their chit and what not!
Post some tunes if you want an ear full of someone else ear! :P
#264037 by Jahva
Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:37 am
J-HALEY wrote:I like both songs! I especially like the interwoven guitar parts in Mother's Down. Congrats on well written songs!

Thanks J-man! I like how it came out... was partly inspired by some of the angst I use to see here. 8)
#264248 by Jahva
Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:28 am
Spit shined this today... first mix.
Another song my son played the drums on, 8)
Call it a love song... I guess... sounds like it fell out of the 80's but I liked some of the 80's so.... yeah.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/153 ... inlove.wav
#264250 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:28 am
Hey Jahva, just getting around to listening to your tunes here.
Always like your acoustic tunes, Be My Side is very good - I'd like to mess with the mix a little, bring out the lead guitar parts at the end of each chorus a little more, as they kind of get buried in the multiple guitar parts. I think some harmony vocals on the choruses would be good too.

Good guitar work on Mothers Down, the drums are a little too up-front - I see from reading on in the thread that your son is doing the drums. I seem to remember (or mis-remember?) you used to do your drums on the keyboard?

On the latest one (Falling In Love?) I noticed there's kid of a lack of low end - I can hear the kick and the bass but no real low component to them, instead everything is very much in the midrange, including guitars and vocals, and because of that the vocal gets buried in the ix a little at times. I think a little 'EQ carving' would help - also look at boosting the low end up to balance everything, too. Is it possible you turned down the bass stuff due to your mixing room enhancing them too much?
#264251 by Jahva
Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:57 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:Hey Jahva, just getting around to listening to your tunes here.
Always like your acoustic tunes, Be My Side is very good - I'd like to mess with the mix a little, bring out the lead guitar parts at the end of each chorus a little more, as they kind of get buried in the multiple guitar parts. I think some harmony vocals on the choruses would be good too.

Good guitar work on Mothers Down, the drums are a little too up-front - I see from reading on in the thread that your son is doing the drums. I seem to remember (or mis-remember?) you used to do your drums on the keyboard?

On the latest one (Falling In Love?) I noticed there's kid of a lack of low end - I can hear the kick and the bass but no real low component to them, instead everything is very much in the midrange, including guitars and vocals, and because of that the vocal gets buried in the ix a little at times. I think a little 'EQ carving' would help - also look at boosting the low end up to balance everything, too. Is it possible you turned down the bass stuff due to your mixing room enhancing them too much?

Hey Mike ,
Thanks... I'll give your thoughts a go on the mixes.

We bought a new/old house last December and my new recording room needs a lot of work but I have a space to work in so...
But I haven't done any wall treatment yet... the house takes most of my disposable income these days... but will eventually get around to it.

"By my side" was written for one of those monthly challenges... there were restrictions so it kept me in check... but I'll try the mix ideas you said.

The drums on the other two are my sons elec. kit. It has one output for the whole kit so you have to get it right from the start.... they were really just demo'd/sketched out because we had planned on going into a studio and record 5 songs... didn't spend much time on the quality or balance just plug in and go. :P
Long story short...He dislocated his shoulder and is out of commission for the next several months so like I said spit shined them up for the time being.

Thanks again.
#264253 by schmedidiah
Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:37 am
I like the mix. Nice rawkus edgy vibe goin on. 8)

I got some beats for ya.
#264254 by Jahva
Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:42 am
Jookeyman wrote:Good tight rock stuff, J!!
Your son knows how to kick out the jams.
Only wish the guitars were a few dbs higher in the mix or the drums a few lower.

I just uploaded an old/new tune to Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/jookeyman/lost-desert-ride It's definitely not rock. In fact I don't know what it is! :lol: You tell me.
I took an old song I have published, changed the time signature from 6/8 to 4/4, dropped the 2nd guitar and bass, changed the B section a little and added bongos.

Just got to this one Jook... gave it 3 or 4 listens
The dissonant phrases do remind me of Zep a bit especially with the percussion sounds... sorry just what i hear but it's over-all pretty interesting. Has a quirky feel to it...
Couldn't tell you what "genre " to try and fit it in... eclectic would be my default! 8)
#264610 by Jahva
Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:06 am
A new tune... (simple new tune) I'm feeling it's finished for this monthly challenge I participate in from time to time...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/153 ... 20bars.wav

Kind of a reflective tune remembering being 14-15 years old before the world tells you to grow up!
At least as I can remember... :? Funny how simple life was... first beer first smoke first girls and you didn't have to worry about some freaks on the internet trying to lure you to some place... and yeah you could leave doors unlocked at night. :P

Riding on handle bars
Remember riding on the handle bars and hanging on for life
was so long ago you know those days we left behind
Playing ball against the wall you could see the city lights
sneaking into to someones pool in the middle of the night

Time will steal your youth away and change your frame of mind
How bittersweet the memories waiting to arrive
They said we had to grow up... we said it's not our time
We survived the good and bad those moments in our life

On Friday night we'd make our way no responsibilities
Dreaming about tomorrows possibilities
But life is full of troubles trials and tribulations
Holding on to what we are becomes some consolation

How bittersweet the memories are waiting to arrive

I remember... remember my first beer
And I remember... I kissed a girl wrote a song for her... that she'd never hear

And to those who didn't make it left us long ago
You'll always be a part of me no matter where you go
Life is just a moment frozen in our mind
Those memories are still in me in me they reside

How bittersweet the memories are waiting to arrive

Yeah we survived the good and bad those moments in our life
#264803 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:10 pm
Just listened to this new one, Jahva, good song. MIxwise - bring the lead vocal up a bit in volume with a little less reverb.
#265017 by Jahva
Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:30 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Just listened to this new one, Jahva, good song. MIxwise - bring the lead vocal up a bit in volume with a little less reverb.

Thanks Mike... it's still in progress... I just had to get it to this point for the monthly thing!
#265025 by schmedidiah
Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:04 am
I liked it too. It just wouldn't play on my tablet. Making some ungodly squealing noise. Almost sounded like my stuff. :lol: