This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#265117 by MikeTalbot
Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:06 am
Jahva

You must be eatin' your spinach brother - that's some good stuff. "Mother's Down?" Love it.

Talbot
#265165 by Jahva
Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:51 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:Jahva

You must be eatin' your spinach brother - that's some good stuff. "Mother's Down?" Love it.

Talbot

Preciate that Mike.. Glad you liked it.
it needs some work but the premise is there.

How you been brother? Well I hope! What you working on these days? Are you performing? Get your DAW/software up and running?
Dem Bulldawgs looked pretty good against UNC! I believe Kirby's going to get them where Richt couldn't.
#265173 by MikeTalbot
Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:29 pm
Jahva

I hit a rough patch of road health wise. I'm on leave from my band (which is nice since I told them to feel free to replace me). Haven't been recording and only written two songs this year.

However, even in weakened state I keep busy. My z-poc musical has been converted into a series of novels of which two are already published and available as E-Books or paperback on Amazon: "Red Dirt Zombies: The Battle for Roswell GA" and "RDZ II: Grace Before battle." Working on Number III now plus a non fic called "African Days Hollywood Nights."

Working hard to pull my heath back together so I can get back to playing regularly. Some progress - I hit the Strat pretty hard the last couple days.

Good to see you back.

Cheers
Talbot
#265225 by Jahva
Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:53 am
MikeTalbot wrote:Jahva

I hit a rough patch of road health wise. I'm on leave from my band (which is nice since I told them to feel free to replace me). Haven't been recording and only written two songs this year.

However, even in weakened state I keep busy. My z-poc musical has been converted into a series of novels of which two are already published and available as E-Books or paperback on Amazon: "Red Dirt Zombies: The Battle for Roswell GA" and "RDZ II: Grace Before battle." Working on Number III now plus a non fic called "African Days Hollywood Nights."

Working hard to pull my heath back together so I can get back to playing regularly. Some progress - I hit the Strat pretty hard the last couple days.

Good to see you back.

Cheers
Talbot

Hope your doing better Mike... I hit a bad spot as well... changed my diet and a few other things and feel much better these days. One of the tunes I wrote during that stretch was called "Out of time" was about the world as much as personal how F'd up things seem to get...

Did your band do any recordings/videos while you were gigging... if you've got something to post I'll give a listen.

So you published your Zombie idea... Well so small feat there... Congrats on that!
People never tire of the living dead... self included! Still love horror after all these years.

As for that Fender...come on now Guitars are to be played not collect dust... pick that baby up every day!
Besides not many things feel that good in ones hands and it's already paid for! :P :P
#270211 by Jahva
Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:12 am
Hey you jazzbo aficionado's could use a little help here... if you wouldn't mind telling me what this elementary level key would be so I can play around with the notes in the scale to come up with some melody. Just something I'm messing around with and it won't be easy on the ears but it is simple and short.
Don't even know if it really qualifies as "Jazz" don't care I like enough to continue to work on it.

I'm not trying to really learn jazz playing but my 3 chord songs might benefit if I can intertwine a little more color in my progressions...
Yaay :mrgreen:

That aside hope you're all well and good and well...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15367559/JTF.wav
#270251 by Planetguy
Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:41 pm
that's a great little bit! i don't think i understand your question though.....are needing to identify the key that it's in?

it's in G Major and besides that move when you go to the Em7.....i hear the bulk of of the tune being what us jazzbos would refer to as a ii V I progression in G.....ii is Am7, V is D7, and the I is your GMaj7.

now, if you want some extra credit jazz cred, here's a little device you can employ. 8)

when it comes to rest on the GMaj7 (and only there) instead of the obvious choice of a G Maj scale....run a D Maj scale over that to build your lines.

the difference is the "C" note found in the G Maj scale is now moved up a half step to C# (that's a #11)....and it's a decidedly "jazzy" sound!

note that you do not want to use that over your Am7 or D7 chords as would clash there and not be reflective of those chords....but over GMaj and Em7 it's pretty cool and too outside!

very nice and tasty, and i like some of the little melody bits in there. :D
#270260 by Jahva
Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:05 am
Thanks PG for the info.
I'm kind of disappointed... thought I was onto something a little more... Was hoping there was some magical scale to make me sound like I know what I'm doing... :mrgreen: but I can work with that.
I'm going to try the D major scale in some spots.
So it's ii V I
There are some really interesting chord builds in jazz for sure. Just wash rinse repeat getting my fingers to remember where to go and get the notes to ring clean.
Just sticking my toes in the water and I appreciate your help!
8)
#270305 by Planetguy
Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:52 pm
You're most welcome, Jahva. I'm happy to have been of some help because besides being a fine musician and writer, you're one of the classy guys around here.

Never any drama, no picking fights, never starting threads to talk $hit about someone, and best of all.....you know how to play in tune! :lol:

Good luck experimenting w the scale subs. If you get anything you're happy with...please share. 8)
#270382 by Jahva
Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:33 pm
Jookeyman wrote:I found a cool move earlier this year when I was writing a jazz chart for 'All My Loving' by the Beatles.
I simply dropped the last chord of each line 1/2 step (after the +5). I ended up w/ the +5maj7 resolving into the major chord which was really cool. The maj7 moved up 1/2 step landed on the root. The +5 dropped 1/2 step and landed on the 5th of the root!! I later wrote out 'The Unseen Hand' using this move and used it to build tension in Vic Tracy's 'Lime & Pineapple Juice'.

Sorry Jook I don't speak this language... but if you have a track I'll give a listen 8)

Thanks Yod
#270420 by schmedidiah
Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:27 am
I thought knew the basics of music theory. No clue what you're saying, Jook. Maybe pick a key and give us the chords?
#270431 by schmedidiah
Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:39 pm
Jookeyman wrote:Let me see if I can find the chart, Schmed. I may have thrown that stuff away after the last band broke up.
I hope I didn't. Might use some of it later!! Let me go look for it.

ETA: OK, don't trust anyone over 55. I got that screwed up. Bad memory, dude. No maj7 here.
Dd+5 > F#7. The A jumps to Bd, the F drops to E. A really cool move!!
I can't remember if this is the original Beatles chart or I changed it. I know I was playing w/ it.
Let me check the original chart. OK- original chart is C+5 > E so I did rearrange it.

I think you have d instead of b marking flat chords.
When I see + in a chord, I'm immediately thinking augmented chord. Am I right on that, or why is the +5 there? Still confused.