This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#206306 by poprockdude
Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:53 pm
What are some other good quality websites like this one? One where I can create music profiles, but one where I don't have to pay to contact someone and of course, one that contains a forum with a private messaging feature. Being able to create more personal profiles as opposed to profiles that read like resumes would also be helpful as well.

In order to find at least one guy around my age in Baton Rouge who enjoys playing some of the same artists and songs I enjoy, and who is essentially just looking for a friend to hang out with, I'm going to need use more sites similar to this, but also connect with more guys who enjoy the music I like.

Also through ANY of these sites, it would also help to learn about bands, and solo projects in Baton Rouge that happen to play covers of the artists and songs I enjoy, and make connections through them, whether it's directly, by becoming friends with at least one of the band members, or simply mingling with the audience that attends their shows.

The reason why I'm asking this question as opposed to looking it up on Google is because I want to talk to the person about his experience using the website he's reccommending, and find out if said website will work for me.

#206308 by RGMixProject
Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:18 pm
Lets just say you have a band and you are about to do a four hour gig.

What would your songs be per set.

This would be very helpful from you to help us dig a little deeper into what you are looking for.

Set one

Set Two

Set Three

Set Four

#206314 by poprockdude
Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:25 pm
Unlike most people, I'm not interested in putting together a band or pursuing a music career. I'm looking for ONE person. One guy who plays keyboard and happens to have a passion for pop and soft rock music. And also unlike most of you guys, I'm looking for someone who is still learning, but has advanced skills rather than someone who is already out there playing music and doing gigs. Someone who is also looking for that special friend to just invite over and do whatever with, in addition to playing some great pop and soft rock songs and helping each other learn some new skills.

Please, help me learn about some sites similar to this one where I'll have a better chance of finding said individuals. And don't be disruptive in my own topics. Relax.

#206317 by Jahva
Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:17 pm
:shock: This site brings you nothing but misery... why would you want to find sites "like this one" :roll:
And what's the point in asking on a site that seems to be filled with people that are serious about what they're doing... When all you want is a friend to hang out with blah blah blah etc... etc...
If someone had an answer for you it would have surfaced by now.
Hate to break it to you Cliff, there is NO LINE of people waiting to respond to you. You've exhausted it already.
You feel the advice that has been presented to you doesn't quite cut the mustard for ya!
Do your own research. Try Google... that's the best advice you're going to get.

jeez.... and I thought I was an anomaly here. :P

#206318 by poprockdude
Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:21 pm
Jahva wrote::shock: This site brings you nothing but misery... why would you want to find sites "like this one" :roll:
And what's the point in asking on a site that seems to be filled with people that are serious about what they're doing... When all you want is a friend to hang out with blah blah blah etc... etc...
If someone had an answer for you it would have surfaced by now.
Hate to break it to you Cliff, there is NO LINE of people waiting to respond to you. You've exhausted it already.
You feel the advice that has been presented to you doesn't quite cut the mustard for ya!
Do your own research. Try Google... that's the best advice you're going to get.

jeez.... and I thought I was an anomaly here. :P

I have tried Google. The information I need CANNOT be found there. It can ONLY be found by talking to people and learning from their experiences. Some of these places that I'm looking for may not even be in the database of a well-known search engine like Google. For example, around 2011, I created a message board on Forumotion.com, but opted NOT to have it searchable using Google. Learn to think outside the box, and learn NOT to get so uptight. Why can't you guys just relax? And also respond with intelligence, and wisdom and patience.

And why is it that I keep running into a bunch of assholes? People who are WAY too sensitive and who get way too upset with me when I tell a given person that his suggestion will not work, instead of agreeing with me and helping me find something that will work? Or people who will try to convince me to try the given suggestion after I point out the flaws in the suggestion?

Also what happened to those individuals who are nice enough to talk with me about the suggestion and how to make effective use of it instead of just reccommending the suggestion and leaving it at that?

Also why do I sometimes run into people who give out a suggestion that they themselves have no experience in using? Like that time earlier last year when someone reccommended I try a Facebook group, and found out that the guy doesn't use Facebook much himself?
Last edited by poprockdude on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#206319 by MikeTalbot
Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:32 pm
Jahva

You're not an anomaly my friend. Just a slightly saner fellow working hard on music and avoiding the nastier discussions.

Talbot

#206321 by Jahva
Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:34 pm
poprockdude wrote:... by talking to like-minded individuals.

They're not here.
And taking the same path just leads to the same results.

No one here has an answer to meet your requirements. Like I said you've exhausted the advice and line of people that have tried to assist you.

#206322 by poprockdude
Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:36 pm
Jahva wrote:
poprockdude wrote:... by talking to like-minded individuals.

They're not here.
And taking the same path just leads to the same results.

No one here has an answer to meet your requirements. Like I said you've exhausted the advice and line of people that have tried to assist you.

But why did they give up so easily? Why didn't they listen to me when I actually stated that I tried their suggestion or pointed out the flaws in that person's suggestion instead of judging me and making rude observations about me or trying to push me to try the given suggestion?

Also when I offered some suggestions of my own, why were those ignored?

Come on, Jahva. Talk to me. I need a lot more places to work with, and that's been one of the main problems in my search. Instead of having 10 different places to advertize what I'm about, I've been going back and forth between the 3 different places, and whenever I think I've found something that shows promise, it either ends up folding, or it ends up being filled with assholes, or it's a website that has an ugly user interface, or something.

#206323 by poprockdude
Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:46 pm
Also what is up with some people responding way too quickly to my questions and responding while busy rushing around doing stuff, and instead responding while relaxed, and when they aren't busy rushing around.

#206324 by Jahva
Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:47 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:Jahva

You're not an anomaly my friend. Just a slightly saner fellow working hard on music and avoiding the nastier discussions.

Talbot

Mike... don't know bout saner... life has enough disagreements I simply don't go looking for them.
I have no interest in trying to get someone to believe or see things the way I do. Especially adults who have lived 30 40 50 plus years. It's foolish to me.

I'd rather just give you the respect of your views and leave it at that. If some find that a bit Pollyanna... don't matter to me.
That's how I see things. Besides I'm here for the music and the lessons. :wink:
Last edited by Jahva on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#206326 by poprockdude
Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:50 pm
Also I don't understand why, but almost everybody I've talked to on Craigslist from about 2008 to now, suggested I use Bandmix, but no one can't find anything better?

Also no matter where I would pose a question, whether it was on Baton Rouge Rocks, Bandmix, and even through the musician discussion board on Craigslist. Why did I run into people who just threw out a random reccommendation instead of actually taking the time to talk with me and share their experiences, so I could find out if that place appeals to the audience I've been trying to reach?

#206328 by poprockdude
Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:09 pm
I miss the days of Myspace, when I used to get lots of friend requests, and when most of those people were willing to work with me and share their experiences, not to mention getting friend requests from local bands in my area, and when I had access to a good classifieds section, that is before they relegated it to an ap, and also before they got rid of the forums and stuff.

#206329 by poprockdude
Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:11 pm
I have a Facebook page, but since I haven't been able to advertise anywhere local with moderate traffic, I haven't gotten any good friend requests since January of 2012.
Last edited by poprockdude on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#206337 by Cajundaddy
Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:38 pm

#206346 by poprockdude
Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:45 pm
And also back then, the friend requests were just totally sent out on a whim rather than the person being willing to take some time to form a bond, and take some time to talk before accepting his friend request.

This not only happened on Facebook, but also through Myspace.

Also another annoying thing I found about a lot of the people that requested me as a friend is that they would have friend counts in the hundreds or thousands, rather than someone who is more reserved, and only adds people he hangs out with regularly. In other words, a much much lower friend count, like 20 or 10.