This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#208708 by Cajundaddy
Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:47 am
RAPA wrote::arrow: 8) With Blues - If you can't see it - you can't play it. Don't matter how technical you get. Too many people today think they know how to play Blues with high tech gear and chords that require Einstein to figure out. Ain't so Jack. Keep it simple and play from the heart.

Bingo!

#213142 by Jay1086
Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:52 pm
Don't listen to any of these people, Tyler, for they know not whereof they speak. No one has suggested any specific CDs to listen to.

I'll suggest the one I always suggest to guys who want to start learning to play blues. It's a good one. It's called "Fathers and Sons," look around for it. It's essentially a Muddy Waters session, with Paul Butterfield on harmonica, Mike Bloomfield on guitar, Duck Dunn on bass, Sam Lay on drums and the great Otis Spann on piano. The great thing about this record is the way it was recorded, crisp and clean, so you can hear every lick.

Muddy Waters remains the master of electric blues, Chicago blues. Get to know his work, and the musicians he worked with.

Good luck, my friend.

#213150 by MikeTalbot
Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:35 pm
Jay - or should I say, "Neighbor." (I'm living near Lilburn these days)

I remember that 'fathers and sons.' What a great line up.

I believe anyone with initiative and persistence can learn to play blues. If he has any situational awareness life will surely fill in the 'soul' element of it - you don't have to pick cotton to play the blues.

As it says in the Book, "Sufficient unto each day is the evil (or trouble) there of."

I remember my brother and I picking grapefruit to get our gear out of hock and ending up drinking the money. Played our gig with cheapo guitars. No big deal but little things like that give you 'mileage.'

Talbot

#213174 by Jay1086
Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:29 am
One more thing. Eric Clapton is NOT a blues guitar player. Stevie Ray Vaughn was a genius, but he wasn't a blues guitar player. You need to go back to find the real blues guitar players, and I mean Robert Johnson, Skip James, acoustic Muddy Waters, and then get into guys like Earl Hooker, Otis Rush, Magic Slim, and, yes, Buddy Guy.

Yeah man, call me neighbor. Come on by whenever you feel like it, and we'll do some blues playing.

#213176 by Cajundaddy
Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:33 am
Oh come on now Jay you can't come in here without any of your own music tracks posted and suggest that this or that isn't real blues. If you want to go there you will have to get real specific about what characteristics make Muddy real and SRV not real. Buddy Guy authentic, and Clapton "not real blues". I think you will find that line is excruciatingly difficult to draw in objective terms.

I am from your era and have been gigging the blues live since 1969. My blues pool certainly includes Muddy, Mike Bloomfield, and the many great players that worked with The Paul Butterfield Blues Band over the years. I also cut my teeth on BB, Blind Lemon, Big Bil Broonzy, and Robert Johnson. I got a lotta room for blues players who are willing to lay it all on the table for you, then and now.

#213224 by Starfish Scott
Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:48 pm
The only thing I know about blues players in general is that the good ones make you hurt a little when you listen to them play, like the last shot of whiskey on a bad night of drinking. (It hurts to drink it, but you don't leave it on the bar because it was just that good.)

#213247 by Jahva
Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:51 pm
Jay
I love the Miss. Delta players! John Hurt is one of my all-time favorites. Granted he had more of the Gospel in him then some of the others but he is still considered the Blues.
But his sound and style is a lot different than Muddy.
So I ask you Jay, does John Hurt get your approval... To me there is more than one style when it comes to conveying the Blues.

And that's all I got to say bout that! :P

#213266 by PaperDog
Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:25 pm
jay527317 wrote:One more thing. Eric Clapton is NOT a blues guitar player. Stevie Ray Vaughn was a genius, but he wasn't a blues guitar player. You need to go back to find the real blues guitar players, and I mean Robert Johnson, Skip James, acoustic Muddy Waters, and then get into guys like Earl Hooker, Otis Rush, Magic Slim, and, yes, Buddy Guy.

Yeah man, call me neighbor. Come on by whenever you feel like it, and we'll do some blues playing.

I'm calling bullshit on you. First off, every last one of the old schools blues players you listed will tell you that the real key to blues is 'Life". Clapton has had enough of life that he can play and sing the blues.
You think Albert King would have given Stevie Ray Vaughn the time of day, if he thought Vaughn didn't have a life clue? (I will admit hes more of a texas boogie and shuffle man... )
FINALLY: It ain't about being a Blues Guitar player... Blues is about "EXPRESSING"and aspect of life with either your guitar, your harp or a damn kazoo if that's all you got...

Its nice to be able to rip through scales and what not...John Mayer can do that...He aint lived life, so he dont count yet.

#213297 by MikeTalbot
Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:18 pm
Scott

That was a damn good metaphor! It actually happened to me last night. I'd been playing and drinking for several hours and when I decided to go to bed I realized there was still some whiskey in my glass... :oops:

BTW Ever hear J. Winter do 'Boney Maroni?" I was working that up to jam with my brother when I head up to MD next week. Lot of fun. Took me two drinks to get the fingering down! 8)

Talbot

#213389 by E J Bell
Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:15 pm
Try this it works great for me. Play as if You were talking to someone.
Well like arguing with Your Girlfriend.
Or think of Crying and Begging Your Sweet Thing not to leave You.
Put what would be Your Voice and Thoughts into your Guitar Playing/Solos.
Playing with a lot of Feeling and Heart with Soul can be easy if You have it in You.
Sure there are common Licks and Scales etc. You can learn, BUT, You need to add a Big Piece of Yourself to be great at Playing Blues. IMHO.
Good Luck Dude.

#219623 by zar535135
Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:36 pm
IMO...When it comes to Blues..You either feel it or you don't. If you don't feel it or have it, people will know, Its not about showing-off you technique,Its about what you have endured. It will reflect in your playing and timing and style, or lack there of.