This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#276488 by GuitarMikeB
Thu May 11, 2017 12:54 pm
The days of almost every middle class home having a piano and the kids 'forced' to take piano lessons are long past us, which is probably a bad thing.
For those at the beginning stages of their musical learning, a guitar seems the easy way to start. 'Guitar Hero' and its like have made a game of it (all show, no actual skill). You can carry a guitar with you to a party or a beach and just sit down and play. A keyboard is another matter - the small cheap ones pretty much suck, the speakers built-in produce low volume from battery power. So you need an amp. A stand to put the keyboard on. Just plain inconvenient.
No, there's nothing like the sound of a nice grand piano in a nice room, but today's ADHD kids are content with earbud-quality MP3s.

As to having to produce 'all the various instrument sounds'. Yes, it can be done with a guitar with MIDI pickup and some kind of tone-producing device/computer hookup, but until a few years ago, these were powerfully inadequate and did not produce great sounds, and frankly its still easier to do with a keyboard - but the ability means there will eventually be even less need for a keys player! New stompbox pedals that produce - very well - Hammond B3 and other keyboard sounds are not available, so I think that more and more you will see fewer indie/rock bands with a keyboard player.

Volume? Always been an issue with the drummer the usual culprit (no volume control on acoustic drums, and its hard to play 'soft' enough, even with modern brush-style sticks). With more and more guitarists using small combo amps - either miked or DIed to the PA, guitarists can also be a volume problem because the amp is on the floor and they can't hear themselves, so they turn it up! The simple answer, of course, is an amp stand. I have one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... -amp-stand
#276492 by Vampier
Thu May 11, 2017 4:44 pm
I agree with you Mike. Also I do not consider "Nerds" real Musicians or Keyboardists. I real Keyboardist can just like a good guitarist take a piece of "beat" equipment and make it sound way better than anyone else. A technical knowledge is of course desirable but more importantly is ability, good ears and sensitive fingers along with a dedication that far transcends "money". The best Bands are comrades drawn together by the music they do and create with a loyalty to one another which have virtually nothing to do with materialism. To perform upon a stage you must have people who are not hiding in holes like rabbits and who are actually enjoying what they do not because of the "money" they recieve but because of the LOVE of what they are doing . Many keyboardists with too large of egos wind up being like the Slum Lords in Real Estate. Just my take on it all. The best ones have Classical Training not degrees in Electronics. Europeans dominate and until the muslims totally destroy Europe, they will continue to... in my opinion.
#276493 by Wes_634-5789
Thu May 11, 2017 4:56 pm
The best Bands are comrades drawn together by the music they do and create with a loyalty to one another which have virtually nothing to do with materialism.

And that, in a nutshell, is why The Eagles suck. :)

The best ones have Classical Training not degrees in Electronics

And also why Boston never had any hits.
#276494 by Vampier
Thu May 11, 2017 5:32 pm
Wes ! I thank you for proving my points. Ta. Nice shirt by the way.
#276497 by GuitarMikeB
Thu May 11, 2017 7:59 pm
Wes_634-5789 wrote:
The best ones have Classical Training not degrees in Electronics

And also why Boston never had any hits.

Well, for a start, they didn't have any keyboards, and for a finish, they had 1 early #1 single, and 2 albums that hit #1 on the Billboard album charts. I think they did alright for themselves with several platinum-selling albums. But success doesn't necessarily breed happiness - RIP Brad Delp.
#276522 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sat May 13, 2017 6:31 pm
Where are they?

(Good) Keyboard players don't need a band to have a good paying gig, and they make more if they don't have to split it. So the answer is that they're working too much to audition for a non-working band (especially rock which is not challenging to play), so it is going to take a little more to attract them. If you find one that actually wants to be in a rock band, he's probably drinking his kid's medical prescription and jerking off in the bathroom between sets.

As our only keyboardist in the thread has said, "Show me the money!". Then you can have any keyboard player you want and, as a side benefit, it's only temporary.
#276535 by Displaced Pianist
Sun May 14, 2017 1:51 pm
Was reading thru this thread--haven't posted in a while--and thought maybe I could be a 2nd pianist to post. What Ted says rings mostly true, 'cept maybe the part about drinking the kid's medication, etc.--but then, I wouldn't know 'bout that part. Ironically, I've never played in a "rock" band.

I'm not all about the money, but when you ask a total stranger to haul around a considerable amount of gear, play what you want the way you want and generally flesh out your fantasy and meet you specific needs...what are you offering in return? After all, you're asking someone to come work for you; were you expecting they would do so for free? I get my share of offers like this, and have actually been told, 'Hey, the piano is a lot like playing the maracas or a tambourine--no talent required. You should be happy we'll let you take up space on our stage.' O....K. Play w/ yourself. While I'm not all about the $$, it's like Michael Stanley once said: "money's still the way they keep score." You want me to do a job I really don't like, let's discuss my salary. Oh, you don't have any money?

Given folks who have musical interests similar to mine--or who at least know the meaning of 'compromise'--it's a different story. Money is the last thing I'm thinking about. But I've come to accept that isn't gonna happen where I live. So I do the occasional piano bar gig or lay down tracks (for which I get paid) for someone else's music. In either of those cases, I seldom need to bring my own rig, and the less I need to haul, the better.

So I guess I'd ask: would you be willing to haul around your couch (it's a fair comparison) and put it in a place you don't like just to satisfy the fantasy of a total stranger? If not, would it be fair to say "[list instrument here] players are all prima donnas who "think it's all about them"?
#276536 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sun May 14, 2017 2:23 pm
Displaced Pianist wrote:would it be fair to say "[list instrument here] players are all prima donnas who "think it's all about them"?

Yes, yes, it would

What Ted says rings mostly true, 'cept maybe the part about drinking the kid's medication, etc.--but then, I wouldn't know 'bout that part. Ironically, I've never played in a "rock" band.

Actually that really happened. It was in a country band; made of rock players who needed a paying job.

#276562 by GuitarMikeB
Mon May 15, 2017 8:41 pm
These days you don't need to 'haul around a couch'. There are very good portable Hammond organs now, and ways to get the whole whirlin' Leslie sound. And look at 'do it all' keyboards like Nords.
I had to help keyboard players with B3's and the old wood Leslie cab that weighed 200 lbs. No fun at all.
#276582 by Displaced Pianist
Tue May 16, 2017 1:38 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:These days you don't need to 'haul around a couch'. There are very good portable Hammond organs now, and ways to get the whole whirlin' Leslie sound. And look at 'do it all' keyboards like Nords.
I had to help keyboard players with B3's and the old wood Leslie cab that weighed 200 lbs. No fun at all.

My base unit is a Roland (~90 lbs.); fully weighted keys, touch/velocity sensitive and great action--a true digital piano. Then I have the Korg (~75 lbs.)--a "do it all" unit--which I use mostly for MIDI, sequencer, certain effects, etc.; much better tonal qualities. It's lighter, but the keys aren't weighted, so I can't use it as a base unit. Then there are the amps--a Peavy (~160 lbs.) or the Roland (~140 lbs.); they're both on castors, but still need to be lifted. So let's see...that's well over 300 lbs. (don't forget the road cases and the misc. stuff) I need to haul each time I play. And of course, I can't just toss my rig in a trunk; it requires either an SUV or mini van, at the least. Did I mention I'm disabled?

Sure, they've made great strides in terms of technologically advanced equipment. I was over @ Sm'Ash not long ago and played one of the new Korgs; it had everything, a really great unit (altho it was still pretty hefty; anything w/ weighted keys typically is) all for only $4500 (I was just a tad short). So should I buy all new stuff to better facilitate the fantasies of total strangers? Or should I just ask anyone who wants me to play what equipment they want me to buy? After all, money is no object when you can subjugate yourself to total strangers.

Or maybe I should just play what I have, and if I ever do run into some folks who have similar musical interests, maybe then I'll consider whether I want to buy some new stuff. Until then, think I'll put more $$ into my Z28.
#276584 by Vampier
Tue May 16, 2017 5:42 pm
This Thread is becoming quite excellent. Yod, the points you make are most logical and generally applicable. Displaced Pianist ... you most definately "sound' like the real thing. The points you make are very obvious ... one would think ... but. Your gear pretty much says it all regarding what kind of a Keyboardist you are ... a real one.

As usual when discussing any of these "musical" subjects ... there are a great variety of Musos on here from all walks of Life and what they relate is all relevant within their personal realms. Some are more "open minded" and others have more real world experience in that they travel like Frigate birds ... case in point ... Yod. Once again I point out that all they have to state is relevant and specific to their own experiences and current "realms" ... be it the neighbourhood Bar Gig or Touring \ Traveling.

This Thread has made it quite obvious to me the reason I have not been able to "connect" with any Musos on here regarding actually "working" together. For me this is merely affirmation. My supreme accomplishments are having made a few good friends and as a result of the "interchanges" ... reinforcing my convictions and objectives. For these things I am grateful.

I believe that I approach MUSIC from a Personal and Spiritual direction which is unique compared to most of the others here who dwell very much in the materialistic World. This is merely my Path and not theirs. I have no problem accepting any of this. But this being said I in NO WAY WILL CHANGE MY COURSE.

For me MUSIC is but the Bridge between the physical existence I endure to the Spiritual existence I aspire to. I wish to travel the Last of my Path with others who feel much the same and understand the opportunity which exists. I am no Christian nor Satanist. I do believe that after our physical Death there is further existence ... at least for some. I believe in a Creator. I believe this World is in fact Ending. I also believe that it is impossible for me to comprehend, figure out and understand completely. Perhaps I will learn more before I perish ... either way I am at peace with myself and at WAR with Evil.

The Keyboards are in my opinion, possess the most potential in being one of the most "Spiritual" of all instruments ... much like the Voice. Need I say more.
#276590 by mystr0
Tue May 16, 2017 7:42 pm
We are what makes music great. We are more than musicians...we set the tone. I can give you more than one example of keyboard majesty in todays music industry...especially on the road. We aren't as hard to find as we used to be, we just aren't as accepted as our predecessors.
#276626 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed May 17, 2017 9:01 pm
thememphizmonkz wrote:We are what makes music great. We are more than musicians...we set the tone. I can give you more than one example of keyboard majesty in todays music industry...especially on the road.

what a bunch of horse hockey. Keyboards are background support to guitars in 90% of rock.

As they should be...

We aren't as hard to find as we used to be, we just aren't as accepted as our predecessors.

A sane one who is worth putting up with is nearly impossible to find...but if you did...they will always be a lone ranger who wants more than the band is being paid.

#276644 by Vampier
Thu May 18, 2017 2:51 am
Wow ... for being in "Memphis" either physically or mentally or both ... you have a wicked funny EGOOOOO it seems. We all have egos of course but guitarists predominate and always have and most probably always will in Rock. Yod is correct I believe.

What I seek is a Genuine Diamond amongst a great many fake and artificial ones regarding a Keyboardist. I do not even care if they are a "Diamond in the Rough". Rare and not just hard to find ... not your average common Keyboardist. A Realist however much like what has already been stated so well previously by a serious one I believe.

One of the things i most admire about Yod is that with respect to all he is and does ... he does not suffer from Ego and is most genuine.
#276646 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu May 18, 2017 9:14 am
Aw thanks. We've all got egos and mine can be rather large at times, but I try to keep it hidden as much as possible.

Memphis is right in one respect. Keyboards do fill in the gaps of a production like nothing else will. Every guitar album you can think of has keyboard support, but the days of a featured rock keyboardist at the "star" position went with Emerson, Lake, & Palmer. He also just exhibited the real problem with a keyboard player. They think too highly of themselves.

Too much keyboard gives an album (or song) a cluttered feeling, so you need a keyboardist who knows how to lay back, just doing a few chord pads or melodic motifs in a rock band. There are exceptions of course, but that's the gist of it.