This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#227049 by Starfish Scott
Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:17 pm
For MY personal tastes, I like a groove player.

Yeah, I want the bassist to be a frustrated guitarist that keeps a beat, can play like a guitarist and yet knows how to use "the thunder".

If they are "BUSY", I don't mind. Just keep the groove, the beat and MELODICALLY go on about what you do.

I thoroughly detest POPPING AND SLAPPING.

People that play with a pick are ok by me.
People that play with only their hands are ok by me.

Just don't hold a "percussion court" during a tune, via slapping and popping or people will want to "SLAP AND POP YOU"..

A good bassist need not hide in plain view.
Just be sure about what you are playing and try not to change the melody because you got carried away.

Be creative, be inspiring and be part of the whole, not individual within a group. I think all music should be done cohesively or not at all.

Q: You know what you have when you have when you have a group of players not playing together?

A: Chaos and/or noise.

Avoid the noise..embrace the music.

#227061 by MikeTalbot
Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:32 am
Well Scott - Exactly! I'll take your comments and insert them in my resume - it will save me time putting the words together! :wink:

I don't give a sh*t if folks think I overplay. Just means they are bitches (not really but still...).

What does cause me a problem, and I understand that it will - is my way of learning a new song. (eg original that I didn't write) I tend to throw everything at it but the kitchen sink and then keep what works. Takes three or four run throughs typically.

Most guys start with little and build on it. Quite sensible actually.

But my way is my way - it's bass akwards for sure - but it works and no one has ever complained about the end product. (they have however, wanted to strangle me while getting there!)

Poppin' and slappin'? Not today. probably not tomorrow either! :D

Talbot

#227073 by Starfish Scott
Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:00 am
If you have trouble with an original tune, piece it out.

Phrasing is not only what you play, but what you don't play.

Once your get your pieces together, connect it.

Read, write, review, recite/rehearse...repeat.

Just get a recording before hand you can study a little.

Trying to absorb an original tune right off the bat is like trying to swallow a hard boiled ostrich egg whole. (It's a really big mouthful to work on, let alone if you can swallow it without chewing..)

When I play bass, I overplay at times. But they don't say sh*t because I fill melodically and often without the part I am overplaying, it simply wouldn't feel the same. So I get the dirty looks and the lectures after the fact, I just ignore them or exhale loudly while rolling my eyes. lol

I get threatened with this or that and I just say, "anytime you want me to leave, just say the word". (So most of my lectures come as I get handed whatever money I made that night and completely ignore my cohorts unless it's a truly relevant bitch. I.E. You missed that one part on the coda.)

Use whatever you want, damn sure I am not using it...and someone may as well benefit from it.

Re:

#265549 by schmedidiah
Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:30 pm
BassBastard wrote:
Dregonfly wrote:
I agree that you can find different instruments to fit into a certain range, BUT not that the bass is replaceable.
I used to get tuba music in concert band when there wasn't string bass music. I'd transpose it to fit my range and could do things the tuba player next to me couldn't, like slur with a bow, get a sharper sticcato, play with more levels of soft and loud (the tuba just seemed to have 2 volumes to me.) Each instrument has its' own quirks that fit into an individual song (even if not the whole set list.) I would miss watching a bassist if they were cut completely out of a band.

I was first Tuba and Sousaphone from 8th grade through the end of highschool, and was accepted into the Blue Devils drum and bugle corps back in the 90's on marching "tuba" (Bass Bugle anyone)
If the tuba player you were sitting next to only had two volumes he needed to get kicked in the nuts a few times. (Or motivated to learn dynamics in what ever way works.... you know)

Our band went to state and marched in New Orleans. I played bass and Piano in Jazz combo and Big Band too, and on some of the old time New Orleans style jazz tunes, I would switch to tuba for that feel you can not duplicate. There are some mexican bands that have tuba instead of bass that are simply AMAZING the way they hold up the bottom end. On the river walk in San Antonio, some of the tuba players on the barges along the river walk would blow you away (No pun intended) They can put nuance and grace notes in that inspired me to stick with tuba through high school.

So, look for a mexican mariachi tuba player next time you need tuba.

Bassbastard! Yer in PHX. Let's jam! 8)
#265581 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:30 pm
Schmed - you did see how old this thread is, right?
#265604 by schmedidiah
Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:40 am
Yer funny. What's it matter? It's a relevant discussion about music. I can fire off 3 threads about Hillary's email right now if you want!
#265612 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:33 pm
schmedidiah wrote:Yer funny. What's it matter? It's a relevant discussion about music. I can fire off 3 threads about Hillary's email right now if you want!

Just that the guy you are trying to talk to posted in this thread 4 years ago, and hasn't posted in the forums since ... DUH :mrgreen:
#265615 by Planetguy
Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:45 pm
schmedidiah wrote:Yer funny. What's it matter? It's a relevant discussion about music. I can fire off 3 threads about Hillary's email right now if you want!

:lol: :lol: :lol: what....ONLY three???!!!!! c'mon, schmed....that's exactly what's so
sorely missing and what we need more of here at BM! :lol: :lol:
#265633 by RGMixProject
Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:48 pm
Based on how old this thread is....What do I look for in a bass player? If he is still alive and can move his fingers.
#266493 by rick1074770
Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:20 am
The ability to get along with egomaniacal self aggrandizing guitarists, and drummers who smoke too much pot and bring their grouchy girlfriends to band practice.
#271594 by RGMixProject
Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:55 pm
leslie1166267 wrote:Dexterity, accurate and colorful. I play progressive Jazz , progressive Rock and Stanley clarke is one of my influencers over the years.

I still love this song today by Mr Clarke

Let Me know You

Thank you
Stanley Clarke - Bass
Greg Phillinganes - Fender Rhodes
Michael Sembello - Guitar
Rick Schlosser - Drms
Paulinho Da Costa - percussion strings

For a great song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtq6nEh1Iic
#271595 by Planetguy
Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:15 pm
RGMixProject wrote:
leslie1166267 wrote:Dexterity, accurate and colorful. I play progressive Jazz , progressive Rock and Stanley clarke is one of my influencers over the years.

I still love this song today by Mr Clarke

Let Me know You

Thank you
Stanley Clarke - Bass
Greg Phillinganes - Fender Rhodes
Michael Sembello - Guitar
Rick Schlosser - Drms
Paulinho Da Costa - percussion strings

For a great song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtq6nEh1Iic

that's a little into the time when i bailed on Stanley. he'd gotten a little too slick, overproduced, and the tunes struck me as being a little more dumbed down for the "hot tub" fans of "jazzy" music.

but man, it was good hearing him play piccolo bass! been awhile...say what you will about his playing, approach, and choices of music he's put out...the man had/has some killer tones on 4 string, tenor, piccolo, and acoustic. it amazes me how many people are to this day unaware of SC's acoustic playing.

ok, you bassplayers here....raise your hand if back in the day you ever invested in a set of piccolo bass strings to mess w after hearing SC play piccolo (raises hand).

oh, and that SC album cover for the tune you posted......on the medium length list of bad album covers.
#271597 by DainNobody
Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:45 pm
I dug his thing with Keith Richards.. The New Barbarians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTsiqckkHck