This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#217555 by st123
Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:48 pm
time, feel, groove, big pocket.....like steve rodby, marcus miller, mike poracro....sense of swing and ability to make the bass sing like richard bona or jaco. all in all a great musician who plays w/ their ears first and then their fingers. my 2 cent as a drummer.......

#217849 by ThunderG0D
Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:30 pm
I look in the mirror :D

#218728 by VocalsBass
Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:30 pm
Dynamics, Funk, Simplicity, are a few of the basics.

#219002 by barbararoller
Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:49 am
Any Bass players want to jam in Brooklyn tomorrow? :D

#219003 by Crip2nite
Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:11 pm
They have to work tomorrow....Better off never asking anyone to rehearse on weekday or weekday nights... as for fri. sat. or sun. Go on NY Craigslist and inquire.... You'll NEVER find a NY bassist here :roll:

#219023 by Starfish Scott
Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:30 pm
A good bassist is very hard to find. Just slightly behind trying to find keys players. Now I have another keys player, (for now) but the bassist thing is unbelievably bad.

I'm thinking of doing the doors thing, where one attempts to have the bass line done by the keys player.

(gulp feels like Russian roulette) lol

#219038 by jimmydanger
Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:56 pm
Don't rehearse on a weeknight? Pfft. Both of my bands rehearse during the week. I won't rehearse on a weekend night, those are reserved for gigs (or fun).

#219044 by Deadguitars
Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:14 pm
Most know the tunes.
Many times we get guys that dont know much of the material ( they think they do ) and its just a colossal waste of time.

#219071 by Starfish Scott
Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:22 am
Deadguitars wrote:Most know the tunes.
Many times we get guys that dont know much of the material ( they think they do ) and its just a colossal waste of time.

Well Dead your playing that genre of music that's a little confusing, you know? If you are a deadhead, you probably have at least heard the tunes.

If not, it's a snowball's chance in hell.
#220137 by RandallPink
Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:39 pm
AyrTrayn wrote:
I think it's a myth guitar players make good Bass players, but Bass Players make good lead players.

I've never heard anyone say guitar players make good bass players. Always the other way around. And I believe that to be true. I have found that guitar players do not make good bass players.
#227000 by NewConstellations
Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:44 pm
Don't jam a thousand notes down people's throats - people don't listen to music to hear the bass player showing off.

Priorities may shift depending on what you're playing, but generally

- Get in tight with the drummer. Kick drum and bass hitting together is one of music's most beautiful sounds.
- Outline the harmonic shape of the chords.
- Complement / counterpoint the vocal melody.
- Produce a pleasing tone on your instrument.
- Know when you should be staying back (probably most of the time), and when there's space for you to step forward and fill up the void (which you can still do without being jerkoffy about it).
- Really need to draw attention to yourself? Drop out. People will notice you when you come back.

#227014 by Planetguy
Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:15 pm
edrezin wrote:A great bassist is never heard, only felt. (and man does that piss most of them off)

Speaking of... our bass player just took a new job and we are screwed. Anyone want to jam in Modesto CA? Yep, that sucks even more. So far the lack of bass players in the 209 is amazing.

to that i respectfully say....bullshit. and for the record it doesn't piss me off. just strikes me as kinda ignorant.

John Entwhistle, Jack Casidy, Jack Bruce, Paul McCartney, Phil Lesh, Sting, John Paul Jones, James Jamerson, Bob Babbit....i could go on and on.

and that's in the rock/pop genre, and not even talking about great reggae players like "Family Man" Barret or Robbie Shakespeare. and we don't even need to start mentioning jazz bassists!

the above bassists made huge contributions....'feel' yes, but they also played w great amounts of personality and their lines were often melodic and memorable as well. often they provide the hook.

can bassplayers overplay and pull the rug out from under everything? you betcha. and nobody wants that. but the same can be said for ANY instrument.

the key is picking your spots and playing w personality while STILL supporting the song. it CAN be done, and when it is done well it lifts the band and the song(s) to higher levels.