This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#163233 by gbheil
Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:33 pm
Good point Talbot.

Good equipment is not necessary expensive nor is expensive equipment necessary good.

I spent a fair chunk of change for my ES-339 ... but it fits me like a glove.
It was also about a third the price of the custom shop LP that was hanging beside it.
What a thing of beauty it was ... but it did not sound near as sweet to my ear as the ES-339.

#163647 by Guitar12121212121212
Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:52 pm
I have some inexpensive pieces and some expensive pieces... it isn't about the price tag, it is about the sound!

With that being said, my favorite guitar happens to be one of the expensive ones... but that may just be by chance.

Check us out...we are a kids rock and roll band in Chicago. You can see some of my equiptment that I use on stage here:

http://www.bandfinder.com/CrazyCurtandtheFireballs

#163946 by AyrTrayn
Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:40 am
Counting is everything
Feeling the rhythm the pulse
I use a BOSS TU-80 metronome/tuner it has a variety of rhythms and time signatures.
A great book would be Mark Levine jazz Theory

Ivan

#163982 by Tennessee Jedi
Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:23 pm
Big Fan of Japanese guitars from the '70's
Great quality built to last
Me and my '77 Musician - re-habbed into a Jerry Garcia guitar

#164067 by Marcus Curtis
Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:42 am
Jacobb1007 wrote:
RhythmMan-2 wrote:The acoustic guitar is my instrument, and the dreadnaught is my preference; fuller, better all-around sound.

I love the dreadnought acoustics. although it's pretty cheap, my favorite is the Taylor Big Baby Dreadnought haha, it's a little smaller than full scale but it plays soooo nice

I think each acoustic guitar is different. It does not matter what the brand is. You can have good and bad guitar with any brand. You got to play it to determine if it is right for you. This is why mail order does not work for me when it comes to acoustic guitars. At least this has been my experience.

My best acoustic guitar is a Takamine. This is the best guitar I ever played. Throughout my life I have played and owned plenty of brands. This guitar has cool tube technology. When it is plugged in it runs the signal through a tube. This guitar is powered by 4 double a batteries. It sounds amazing whether it is plugged in or you just mic it. The price tag for this guitar was pretty high. It set me back over 1600.00.

My problem is I need more than 1 acoustic. I play with a lot of alternate tunings and open tunings. I need one for D type tunings and one for G type tunings and one for C type tunings. 1 for standard/alternate tunings. So the investment can get kind of high. Because of this kind of cost structure I only have 4 acoustic guitars. I need about 3 more

#164216 by Black57
Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:26 am
sanshouheil wrote:A great sword does not make a great swordsman.

A great swordsman with a crap sword is f@#ked.

You are limited by the equipment you use ...

I agree, you can only be as good as your "stuff" allows you to be. If you can sound great on a piece of crap, why are you playing on crap?

#164279 by RhythmMan-2
Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:11 am
Black57 wrote: If you can sound great on a piece of crap, why are you playing on crap?

Money.

#164283 by PaperDog
Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:03 am
RhythmMan-2 wrote:
Black57 wrote: If you can sound great on a piece of crap, why are you playing on crap?

Money.

Back when I was walking barefoot in the snow, uphill, both ways... to school... all I had was a cigar box, some telephone wire and some cheap pot-metal strips...and an AA battery . I took what I had with that and went on to build a really cool clock... One day that Clock was was five minutes off (behind), which in turn made me late for an appointment I had with the barber... When I got to the barber shop, I had to wait for one extra guy to get his hair cut. That delayed my haircut, which in turn delayed the errand I had to run at the store.... When I got to the store, They had 'just" sold out of my favorite chocolates (missed it by 5 minutes) ...But, The store manager told me there was a chocolate shoppe next door. I went to the chocolate shoppe next door, where I met the most ragingly beautiful woman I ever set eyes on...(I fell in love on the spot..). I asked her out and she accepted...That night she invited me in... and well, the rest, I cant tell..

Now, This story was just pulled out of my ass, which is currently adorned with 99 cent pair of Fruit of the Loom Underwear. Basically, I'm working with what i got...and if you felt even the slightest bit amused, then money aint the answer. : ) :lol: 8)

#164291 by Lynard Dylan
Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:59 pm
:lol: 8)

#164348 by RhythmMan-2
Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:46 am
Regarding the quality of our instruments, let me make an analogy.
This is a true story.
In feudal Japan, a swordsman named Miyamoto Musashi was acclaimed as the greatest swordsman in Japan.
He had a chip on his shoulder, and went from town to town, challenging the greatest swordsman to a duel; the loser was killed.
He was undefeated.
Keep in mind that many of the swordsmen were samurai & martial arts instructors . . .
After killing 40 men, he grew weary of it, and stopped challenging anyone.
But, as a point of pride, other swordsmen - hearing of his reputation - started coming up to him and challenging him.
He reluctantly agreed, but after killing a few dozen more of the best swordsmen on earth, he stopped dueling with a steel sword.
. . . instead he carried a student's wooden practice sword.
And continued killing some of the best swordsmen on earth, with a WOODEN SWORD.
He was never beaten, and died an old man.
True story.
He wrote a book which some of you might have read, "A Book of 5 Rings."
Last edited by RhythmMan-2 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#164368 by PaperDog
Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:26 am
RhythmMan-2 wrote:Regarding the quality of our instruments, let me make an analogy.
This is a true story.
In feudal Japan, a swordsman named Miyamoto Musashi was acclaimed as the greatest swordsman in Japan.
He had a chip on his shoulder, and went from town to town, challenging the greatest swordsman to a duel; the loser was killed.
He was undefeated.
Keep in mind that many of the swordsmen were samurai & martial arts instructors . . .
After killing 40 men, he grew weary of it, and stopped challenging anyone.
But, as a point of pride, other swordsmen - hearing of his reputation - started coming up to him and challenging him.
He reluctantly agreed, but after killing a few dozen more of the best swordsmen on earth, he stopped dueling with a steel sword.
. . . instead he carried a student's wooden practice sword.
And continued killing the some of the best swordsmen on earth, with a WOODEN SWORD.
He was never beated, and died an old man.
True story.
He wrote a book which some of you might have read, "A Book of 5 Rings."

LOL! Man..he clearly needed some challenge..

#164490 by MikeTalbot
Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:05 am
R-man

I read 5 rings - years ago. A pal was a martial arts guy and also recommended a book called, I think, the 47 Ronin.

Good stuff, the warrior ethic.

But the guy you describe is like a French (Napoleonic) sword master who challenged (and killed) many swordsman from the French Cavalry.

To me that was disgraceful and violates the warrior ethic - fight and kill the enemy - not your own guys. And not to make a name or satisfy some egotistical ambition to be the best - like some silly gunfighter! A true warrior is a defender - not an aggressor.

Talbot

#164492 by AyrTrayn
Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:01 am
I prefer cheaper guitars, kind of a quirk of mine. It's not quite the same as Race cars. More like guns at close range they're all pretty effective.

#164573 by RhythmMan-2
Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:53 am
Mike T, that's a different swordsman; this one was in Japan: Miyamoto Musashi.
I bought my copy of the book in 1974, and I've read it 3 times.
It was translated from the original Japanese by Victor Harris.
Musashi was the one who studied under a master who would wake him at all hours of the night, and beat the hell out of him with a wooden practice sword.
The master snuck up on him around the house, and beat him without mercy, week after week after month after month.
Many of you have probably heard the story.
Eventually Musashi learned to block. Musashi was a master at blocking.
He was born in 1584.
He killed his first man in mortal combat when he was 13.
What is prettty cool about the book "Go Rin No Sho" (Book of 5 Rings), is he wrote it in allegory, so that his descriptions of swordfighting also easily applied to other situations in life.
Thus there is some truly wonderful philosophy in the book.

#164574 by RhythmMan-2
Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:55 am
Oops! Let's talk music!
Sorry 'bout my last (off-topic) post.
So - what do you guys think about traditional Japanese music?
Last edited by RhythmMan-2 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.