This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#154074 by DrumChick_404
Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:30 am
LOL - you guys are funny! Yes us girls just wanna have fun - my band Stonewall Siren is actually going to cover She Bop, we just need that bassist darn it! :lol:

Depending on the bassist, wings might have to be substituted for "babes".

#154098 by Jahva
Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:04 pm
[quote="DrumChick_404"]LOL - you guys are funny! Yes us girls just wanna have fun - my band Stonewall Siren is actually going to cover She Bop, we just need that bassist darn it! :lol:

She Bop :shock: ... now that's the real fun song :lol:
That song was one of the reasons the PMRC created the "Parental Adivisory" sticker.

#154264 by DrumChick_404
Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:22 pm
Oh I thought it was because of Dee Snyders tight leather pants. :lol:

#154306 by Jahva
Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:44 pm
DrumChick_404 wrote:Oh I thought it was because of Dee Snyders tight leather pants. :lol:

I like your 3rd cut Demon angel.. I thought you were about to take a "DRUM SOLO"!
You guys(gals) have that dirty Detroit/NY punky street feel. 8) . Good luck finding your bassist.

#154317 by DrumChick_404
Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:55 pm
Thank you for the compliment - that song began with the drums, and I think the guitarist, vocalist and I have a really good blend when we all contribute to songs. That's not the first time I was told we sound "dirty" - guess I'll tell the girls we need to "clean up" ha!

That's really cool that you play all the instruments in your recordings, you're equally good at all!

#154749 by MikeTalbot
Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:23 pm
Cadillac

FYI - Dave Ellefson is back playing bass with Megadeth. With Chris Broderick on guitar - arguably the best lineup Mustaine has ever put together.

Talbot

#154888 by Ric3xrt
Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:02 pm
its good music that alures this bass player.......what traps me is when I get to write my own lines, and do not have to deal with " I wrote the song and you the bass player play it as written...

#154899 by MikeTalbot
Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:40 am
Ric

So true. I've been playing around lately and finding I just don't feel like being told what to do. Somebody who wants a minimalist, in the pocket bass player are not really looking for me. I figure a band that needs what I have will know it when they play with me. And vice versa.

Its worked that way for me so far. One of my favorite bands was one I worked with in LA. They did have two important suggestions which I embraced willingly - one was to put a Marshall head on my SVT (they provided it) and the other was the introduction they gave me to flamenco boots! Boy - did I feel cool in those boots.

They told me you own the bass business! Music to my ears if you'll forgive that.

Talbot

#154922 by PaperDog
Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:21 am
MikeTalbot wrote:Ric

So true. I've been playing around lately and finding I just don't feel like being told what to do. Somebody who wants a minimalist, in the pocket bass player are not really looking for me. I figure a band that needs what I have will know it when they play with me. And vice versa.

Its worked that way for me so far. One of my favorite bands was one I worked with in LA. They did have two important suggestions which I embraced willingly - one was to put a Marshall head on my SVT (they provided it) and the other was the introduction they gave me to flamenco boots! Boy - did I feel cool in those boots.

They told me you own the bass business! Music to my ears if you'll forgive that.

Talbot


This is precisely what I mean... If a bassist comes on board...I'm like... Here's this song , please breathe your life into it... The way I see it, if you got past the audition phase... You pretty much showed me that you have the right sense of judgement... So if we create a song, I'm relying on you to think up and create the bass part (seeing as you are the bassist) Is that the wrong perspective or am I within reason?

#154958 by MikeTalbot
Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:04 pm
Dog

That's how it has worked for me in my best bands.

I have a pretty open attitude - in several bands I wrote most of the songs but as bass player I was just letting the birds out of the cage and the guitar players would give it wings. I had fundamental structures but they owned the guitar business and that was fine with me.

So I sort of expect the same sort of freedom to find my way in a song.

It's always a surprise when you present a song to a band and they take it to the next level. Usually a pretty happy surprise.

Talbot

#154962 by Ric3xrt
Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:41 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:Dog

That's how it has worked for me in my best bands.

I have a pretty open attitude - in several bands I wrote most of the songs but as bass player I was just letting the birds out of the cage and the guitar players would give it wings. I had fundamental structures but they owned the guitar business and that was fine with me.

So I sort of expect the same sort of freedom to find my way in a song.

It's always a surprise when you present a song to a band and they take it to the next level. Usually a pretty happy surprise.

Talbot





when someone brings me a song, I try and find out if they have an Idea of what they think the bass line should be like, most of the time, they'll not have a clue,If I had a dime for everytime I've heard" it should thump" "have growl" but when they have an idea, I try and respect thier vision of the song, but more often then not, I write something different then what they"heard" and everyone is happy.
Good collaboration will always lead to good muisc....thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

#155057 by A Persuasive Reason
Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:47 am
MikeTalbot wrote:I've been playing around lately and finding I just don't feel like being told what to do. Somebody who wants a minimalist, in the pocket bass player are not really looking for me. I figure a band that needs what I have will know it when they play with me.


It also helps to be the bass player/sound engineer which is my situation. They know not to push my buttons or I'll push their shiny mute button on their channel... :-)

Then again, my 2 guitar players in my cover/working band are very exploratory and get bored easy with the same songs, they want flavor. We play a whole range of stuff from The Beatles, Tom Petty, John Mayer, Muse, Tonic, Pink Floyd, 311, Boston, The Police, etc.... I'll be darn if I ever play the same bass line twice. Some of those songs beg for jams, others are so boring to play that I see how melodic and over the top I can play without actually sounding like it's over the top, but complimentary. When I'm on the edge, thats usually when one of them looks over, grins, and eggs me to keep going.


Then again, it's a cover band... Why not have some fun?

#155063 by PaperDog
Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:23 am
Ric3xrt wrote:
MikeTalbot wrote:Dog

That's how it has worked for me in my best bands.

I have a pretty open attitude - in several bands I wrote most of the songs but as bass player I was just letting the birds out of the cage and the guitar players would give it wings. I had fundamental structures but they owned the guitar business and that was fine with me.

So I sort of expect the same sort of freedom to find my way in a song.

It's always a surprise when you present a song to a band and they take it to the next level. Usually a pretty happy surprise.

Talbot


when someone brings me a song, I try and find out if they have an Idea of what they think the bass line should be like, most of the time, they'll not have a clue,If I had a dime for everytime I've heard" it should thump" "have growl" but when they have an idea, I try and respect thier vision of the song, but more often then not, I write something different then what they"heard" and everyone is happy.
Good collaboration will always lead to good muisc....thats my story and I'm sticking to it.



Its a tough call. I cant tell you specifically how the bass should go in a song , per se... But I can tell you how the song would need to be represented... So Obviously, I'm not gonna suggest that you do a hard thump & funk line on a slow, cool blues... . Like wise, I aint gonna ask you to 'Lawrence Welk' it on a hot latin dance number ( "Okee boysss, Letsa now geta funky...enna one, enna two, enna tree...pore") So basically, As an Artist I'd depend on you to not only create the right lines, but create the best possible ones, germain to the particular song and its immediate theme, subtheme, etc. Now here's the cool part... The genius in it is thumping where nobody expected it and so on... Holy Crap... That would be the sh*t... When I think of Flea, and how well he nails it for the songs that the Peppers lay on him... (Man that dude gets the Heisman trophy of short order bass- creation cooking in my universe.)

8)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests