This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#158266 by poppy121
Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:48 pm
:D I have the answer you are all looking for If you want to find us goto A truck stop those of us that survived have been hiding driving trucks But don't tell lmao

#158700 by mrc7218
Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:53 pm
Bass player here ... checking in

#158722 by Lynard Dylan
Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:31 am
Who care's.

#158924 by Donald Ray
Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:16 am
Hell

I am seriously looking for one right now to join Us

Memphis here ...Please send a email
#159117 by orion50
Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:08 am
I am looking for a plug & play opportunity with a state wide, regional or opening act group. I have a day job, but my schedule is very flexible so I can travel. I'd very much welcome any referrals or an opportunity to audition. I have a profile on Bandmix under AlgebraBlue (Orlando). Thanks, Mike.

#159314 by WillingToRelocate
Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:45 am
<---- Available for Touring Project

#159425 by Michael Oliver
Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:09 am
This is a very amusing thread. You'll find good bass players at any successful, money making gig.

#159432 by MikeTalbot
Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:05 am
Michael

I can assure you, that based upon my own experience, you can also find bass players at cheesy, miserable gigs! :wink:

Talbot

#159622 by Spectre1966
Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:53 pm
What Mike says....

#161182 by Official Denial
Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:57 pm
You'll find that MOST bass players were at one time a guitar player. It isn't uncommon for a guitar player to change over to find work. Try asking guitar players if they would like to try out for that position. You might be delighted with the results. NOTE: avoid guitar players with an ego on this as they become insulted when asked to change over. Some more humble guitar players change over more easily due to the fact that to them it's about the enjoyment of making music, not stroking their ego.

#161201 by AirViking
Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:15 am
Michael Oliver wrote:This is a very amusing thread. You'll find good bass players at any successful, money making gig.

What about people who just switched from guitar to bass?

You CAN be good at both, but chances are you're not.
Usually my biggest problem (along with what I wrote months ago) is that a guitarist has no idea what the bass does. They play all these galloping rhythms and other, just very, untalented and uninteresting progressions. It's a real shame when I get to a possible new band that tells me they play live, and they aren't well rehearsed or the stuff they play is just generic or won't take them/me anywhere.

I don't think all people know this but, 99.8 percent of every band ever hasn't done anything, and just because your friends like it doesn't mean anyone else will.

#161217 by Lynard Dylan
Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:03 pm
Hasn't done anything?

#161219 by AirViking
Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:41 pm
Lynard Dylan wrote:Hasn't done anything?

That was me being cynical.

What I mean is: I had an endorsement from horizon before they were bought (plus that band is broken up now), another one I was in were working on a record deal, and that same band was signed up for a tour before our guitarist became too much to deal with, and I moved back home from the airforce.

I wouldn't consider that having done anything yet. That band was doomed to be a local/regional band because we weren't good enough, we didn't have a good enough product. I still haven't made as much as I have paid for my equipment.

Touring nationally or worldwide is an achievement, a 6 figure record deal is an achievement. Until then, I will only work as hard as I can for those goals, and until then I haven't done anything.

#161261 by MikeTalbot
Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:39 pm
Mr. Viking

You haven't done anything? How silly! Give yourself a break - life ain't about winnin' - you always lose in the end. life is about showing up.

When you're playing at all, you're winning. The rest is gravy.

Talbot

#161289 by PierceG
Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:15 am
Da*n straight, Talbot.

Even, "Doing something," doesn't always make you better than everyone else in the end except for having different memories. To illustrate what I mean, I've seen the following bands play for crowds of 300 or less in the last five years:

Stephen Pearcy (Ratt lead singer)
Night Ranger
Firehouse
...and others

I'm not saying that's what those bands regularly draw, but I know a bar owner who has an outdoor venue and puts summer concerts together and he's always (no offense to him) making terrible decisions. Locally, he's just not going to have the drawing power for these bands to make money off of what he's paying to have them...even with the liquor sales. I think he broke even on Firehouse.

The funny thing is, he did midget wrestling with no cover charge and absolutely killed on the profits that night!

I'm done rambling now...[/list]