This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#234778 by Starfish Scott
Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:23 pm
You are very scary right now. You sound like a Lynard/Dane gestalt and play Like Clifford. LOL

Like I said a million times, "play your music and forget the rest".

#234818 by Barry David Butler
Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:09 pm
Find a Keyboard Player who can do on the keys.
Barry [email protected]
Lots of young kids DON'T want to play bass as they don't understand that it is the MOST important instrument in the band....it's the heart beat and SOUL.
Barry
#237347 by Country-Bass-Vocals
Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:59 am
I'm sitting here wondering why I'm sitting here. Blues and rock bassist with lead and harmony vocals out of Fort Worth TX. Pro equipment and transportation. Four and Five string fretted, four string unlined fretless and four string unlined fretless Electronic Upright Bass (Ergo EUB-4). All basses are equipped with black nylon strings, the EUB has Kevlar-core black nylons. Amps: Full Stack - 700W Hartke bi-amped head with Seismic 1x15 and 2x10 cabs / Half Stack - Ampeg Micro VR 120/200W head with Ampeg ST210 cab / Combo - Ashdown Electric Blue 185-15. Bass effects pedal board, Audix OM-7 vocal mic, wired/wireless guitar setup, power conditioners.

So... Who needs a blues rock bassist in the FTW area???

PS: Check http://www.reverbnation.com/johncaruana for audio and video.
#237349 by schmedidiah
Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:06 pm
So happy to see this is the title of a popular thread here. It's my all-time favorite post on craigslist. Scratch that. My all-time favorite post on craigslist is where the bass players list all the faults of their abusers.
#237354 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:41 pm
Blues-On-Bass wrote:I'm sitting here wondering why I'm sitting here. Blues and rock bassist with lead and harmony vocals out of Fort Worth TX. Pro equipment and transportation. Four and Five string fretted, four string unlined fretless and four string unlined fretless Electronic Upright Bass (Ergo EUB-4). All basses are equipped with black nylon strings, the EUB has Kevlar-core black nylons. Amps: Full Stack - 700W Hartke bi-amped head with Seismic 1x15 and 2x10 cabs / Half Stack - Ampeg Micro VR 120/200W head with Ampeg ST210 cab / Combo - Ashdown Electric Blue 185-15. Bass effects pedal board, Audix OM-7 vocal mic, wired/wireless guitar setup, power conditioners.

So... Who needs a blues rock bassist in the FTW area???

Use the search feature in the profiles. Good luck, its tough finding the right guys.
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#237355 by Planetguy
Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:04 pm
Blues-On-Bass wrote:I'm sitting here wondering why I'm sitting here. Blues and rock bassist with lead and harmony vocals out of Fort Worth TX. Pro equipment and transportation. Four and Five string fretted, four string unlined fretless and four string unlined fretless Electronic Upright Bass (Ergo EUB-4).

greetings from a fellow fretless bass player. well, i also play fretted and upright too, but you get the idea.

i'm curious why you choose to mention and think it noteworthy that you play "unlined" fingerboards. i'm not trying to give you a hard time....just curious as that isn't anything i've found particularly relevant to mention.... whether a f-board be lined or not.

is it because it's deemed more manly by some to play unlined? since obviously... lined or unlined sound exactly the same.

me, i play a custom made zebra wood P body with a '66 Fender P neck and '66 P p/u's.... and an early '80's Japanese FENDER '60's style J bass. both lined. my '38 KAY C-1 is of course unlined.

you can hear a cpl tunes w me on the fretless P on my profile page ....."Go Fourth" and "Peace and Love".

"Sacred Ground" has the old KAY upright. http://www.bandmix.com/planetguy/

good luck w the band hunt.
#237592 by Country-Bass-Vocals
Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:58 am
IMHO, I would feel like I'd be "cheating" playing a lined fretless. For me, unlined is way more challenging and way more rewarding. When I'm singing, I don't get to look at the fretboard so getting the intonation correct takes a lot of practice. I see these gorgeous women playing cello for ELO and think if they can do it, why can't I? At almost 67 years old, I'm still up for a new challenge and unlined represents that challenge for me.

Played the Hard Rock Cafe in Dallas a few months ago. Even the veterans there had never seen an EUB like the Ergo before. We did an Everly Brothers song in two part harmony...used the EUB. Came out great...very old school...got a standing "O". Again, very rewarding. Give it a try sometime...

The band search is so incredibly frustrating. Been here 4 years and still nothing permanent. In Jersey, I had put together and led a phenomenal 13-piece blues band...FIVE HORNS!!! Listen to the songs on my profile page...you'll get the idea. Best band I ever had...ever...and I started on drums in 1959 at age 11...played all around NYC in my youth.

But when the time is right, it will all fall into place. I've got faith in The Universe.

JC
#237595 by Planetguy
Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:27 pm
"challenging"? ha...i'm 'challenged' enough as it is. i didn't mean to sound judgmental, but it really is all about what SOUNDS good to me.... and much less about what looks cool. it just struck me unusual seeing you mention the distinction that you play "unlined" as i had never seen anyone choose to mention that before.

i don't spend a lot of time looking at my left hand on any bass i play, fretted, fretless, or upright. it just so happens that the two fretless bass gtrs i have....well, my J-Bass is lined and the zebra wood P had the frets filed down leaving the 'cleats' as markers. would i look any cooler if they were blank 'boards???? pffft. not much of a concern to me.

Blues-On-Bass wrote:Played the Hard Rock Cafe in Dallas a few months ago. Even the veterans there had never seen an EUB like the Ergo before. We did an Everly Brothers song in two part harmony...used the EUB. Came out great...very old school...got a standing "O". Again, very rewarding. Give it a try sometime...

i've played a few EUBs and remain unimpressed. i think they're a compromise of both uprights and bass gtrs and fall short of both. yeah....i suppose they do hold some visual appeal and novelty interest to some, but soundwise they do little for me.

i had one of the more expensive Czech NRS EUB's for a few days w an eye towards purchase(unlined but w plenty of position markers on the side of the f-brd). i got it cos i was playing a lot of acoustic bass in a Gypsy Jazz trio and thought i could get a pretty close vibe w it while not having to cart around the big boy. not so much so.

whatta pain in the ass! attatching it to the stand.... and carrying the case that w bass and hardware weighed much more than my old Kay!. but what really helped me decide to send it back was that it couldn't cop a very good acoustic vibe. way too much sustain and mwaaaah even on the arco setting. and playing arco on it? points off.

i did think the "electric" side of it's tone was kinda cool but after spending some time playing it awhile, i put it down and plugged in my zebra wood fretless P and aha! THERE was my "electric" tone. so, back it (the NRS) went.

i feel for you, bro... sucks not being able to hook up w a good situation.

btw....like you, i too cut my teeth playing clubs in NYC and up in the Catskills in my youth.

straight ahead, keep keeping on. 8)
#237656 by Country-Bass-Vocals
Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:01 am
Ah...The Catskills. The Jewish Riviera. All the great comics honed their chops on that circuit. Dirty Dancing captured that scene really well.

I played a lot in NYC and surrounds in the 60's. Remember getting $5 each per night lugging a full trap kit around. One time, we drove out to Long Island with a trailer hooked to my father's Chrysler 300 Land Yacht and picked up someone's Hammond B-freaking-3 with its Leslie for a gig in WESTCHESTER!!! Swapped off with the keys guy to get my hands on it and did Like a Rolling Stone...Al Cooper's licks. Luckily, my mom played piano and I could practice a song or two.

I'm almost 67 and I just love to play out on stage. Will keep doing it until my fingers fall from my knuckles. At my age, I have at least eliminated the memory challenge... I chart out every song, put them into PowerPoint, arrange the slides in set order for the night and play the slideshow on a laptop on a music stand. Words and music...don't even have to worry about screwing up. Actually, it's just backup...don't need it that often.

But with my 13-piece blues band in Jersey (FIVE horns), we output a split signal to two x 27" computer monitors in front of the band. Virtually no mistakes. Everyone could see the arrangements and whose solo was next. Technology at work.

Anyway... Hoping to find something sooner rather than later. Music at http://www.reverbnation.com/johncaruana.

JC
#237701 by Planetguy
Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:25 am
stratman66 wrote:I have been considering buying a bass and amp just so I can be in a band. i don't like playing bass, but I want to be in a band.

if you don't enjoy playing bass... no, if you don't LOVE playing bass.....do yourself and any future bandmates a favor....don't do it. if you can't approach playing bass with the right attitude of teamwork and support and if you're not gonna be happy being a supportive player, then stick to gtr.

a lot of people don't realize that even within the "confines" of being supportive and making everyone else in the band comfortable...there's still enormous room for being creative, playing with personality, and oh yeah....filling the dance floor, making things flow, and making everyone's butt move if you're doing it right.

bass...it's the power behind the throne. 8)
#237707 by schmedidiah
Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:45 am
stratman66 wrote:I have been considering buying a bass and amp just so I can be in a band. i don't like playing bass, but I want to be in a band.

It's not the worst thing ever (talking to Planet Guy). Could discover that he loves it.
How many have moved over from that slot (guitar) to this slot (bass)?
Paul McCartney comes to mind. I've been playing bass since a year after I started playing guitar.
Every band I've been in I was on bass, but my main instrument is guitar.
I agree that there are some real stinkers out there on thunder stick, but most get it. It is a very powerful position.
I say go for it, if you have the right attitude. Maybe an attitude adjustment is in order. You made this choice. The band, I'm guessing, didn't put a gun to your head and tell you you're on bass, did they?
#237725 by guitarman66
Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:16 pm
Maybe I shouldn't have said I don't like playing bass. Although I prefer guitar, I could definately have a good time playing bass, it would be great just to be in a band, but, I would still be hoping to get a position as a guitar player. At the same time, If I was enjoying it enough, I could just stick with it. At this point I just want to play music.
#237728 by schmedidiah
Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:03 pm
I can definitely identify with that. I only want to play with folks who are up for trading the guitars and bass for a while. It helps break up the monotony and helps the creative process. At least, that's the way I feel. But I do recommend every guitarist at least try it once. That way, they would be less likely to go on cl and trash bass players like it's the cold war all over again. :roll: