This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#153725 by metal machine 81
Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:16 pm
bass player seeks band in central FL. bored, experienced and well rounded. looking for anything from a gig/stage ready group to a jam project. tired of jamming to cd's or solo dicking off. been out of bands for about5 years now and kinda ready to resume that whole emergeance/low flying whatever. ready to play some damn music anyhow.

#155350 by stupidscreenname
Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:45 pm
well damnit all, then why cant this bassist find a good band. Where the hall have all the good bands gone!

#156016 by Myths of Light
Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:45 am
nazz315430 wrote:It is very strange. I have been trying to put a band together and couldn't get a single bass player. I went onto craigslist and found 8 there, and already got replies. So hopefully i will have a bass player soon.

My guitarist is actually a bass player as well, a solid pocket player. However, he is also a very accomplished guitarist and we wanted the harmonies. So he took the time to find us a bass player on Craigslist and sent fliers out with me to local music stores. It's nice to have musicians that put the effort forth to actually keep the band going, not just play their instruments and think they've done their job.

Short point: Craigslist has shown the most promise of bass players coming out to try out. Recommended to anyone looking for any kind of player, if you're desperate enough to put an add on Craigslist, then you're probably a serious musician.
#156018 by Myths of Light
Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:52 am
metal machine 81 wrote:bass player seeks band in central FL. bored, experienced and well rounded. looking for anything from a gig/stage ready group to a jam project. tired of jamming to cd's or solo dicking off. been out of bands for about5 years now and kinda ready to resume that whole emergeance/low flying whatever. ready to play some damn music anyhow.

Hey man if you're not in a project yet, Diminished Faith is still in search of a bass player. We get together at a rehearsal space in Orlando, FL. Let me know if you're interested.

You can contact us at [email protected] or Facebook Diminished Faith.

#156030 by BruceWard
Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:54 pm
I'm an experienced bass player...just moved to Orlando from Charlotte and looking for my next opportunity.

edit- i'm in my 40's so would prefer to stick with a band that is similar in age :wink:

Any rock/modern rock/cover/tribute band in the Orlando area looking for a rock solid bassist...look me up!

#156108 by minionv2
Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:20 am
i don't know , they are hard to come by these days , guitarist are a dime a dozen , but a great bassist is priceless , i am looking for one my self so the second guitarist can get back to doing what he dose best, playing guitar , if you don't have a strong rhythm section even the best guitarist can't play to his full potential , you know you have a great bassist when you forget he is even there ...

#156123 by MikeTalbot
Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:16 pm
"you know you have a great bassist when you forget he is even there ..."

That's one school of thought. I've never felt it was my job to make guitar players look good and feel comfortable nor do I give a darn about playing 'in the pocket.' There are folks who do that and do it well.

I'm not one of them though. My hero was Entwhistle and my genre is heavy metal / hard rock usually three piece. I've had to earn my money!

Just agreed to disagree with a local band who were looking for the guy you described - but have found a drummer who is as indifferent to that stuff as I am. So for now, I'm covering bass and guitar both until we get some stuff recorded and decide wether to hunt down a bass man or guitarist. (would love to find someone like me who does both)

Talbot

#156495 by Lord_Hearteater
Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:32 pm
We exist; we just might not be interested in 95% of the projects out there, and perhaps some of us are already involved with the other 5%.

Most bands treat the bassist as an afterthought; a second-class citizen. Seldom is the bassist given equal creative footing, or a turn in the spotlight. That latter part goes with the territory, however.

We're also not likely to be interested in being a part of "the next big wave in HR/HM," which has not had anything new to say in a quarter-century, or more. Your atonal, jackhammer beat, screamo crap is not likely to stand the test of time, or get re-arranged into elevator music for your golden years. Why do you think that some classic warhorse songs still get played as much as they do? Genuine songwriting has become somewhat of a lost art; it's all production now. The 32-bar form is veritably extinct, if one looks at the pop charts as an indicator, but there are plenty of reasons why songs written within that form have been withstanding the tests of time for over 2 centuries. Today's self-styled songwriters might actually have something to learn from the past, but the arbiters of taste have made such activities "uncool' for too many, with music suffering, as an outcome.

There are some in this thread who seem to "get it," in terms of the value of a good bassist, but it remains to be seen whether they, as individuals, or their projects, are actually walking the talk. My inner cynic is tired of the honeyfuggling, and sides with "probably not."

Some who call themselves bassists are also to blame. If you are a 1-trick pony, stylistically, then you're not a bassist; you are a bass-player. If you can hang in multiple genres and bands, read various forms of music, have chops on additional instruments, and have a good attitude, you are probably a great bassist, playing your fair share of gigs, and not likely to be spending much time in Bandmix. I've been a member for well over 2 years, and my forum post count speaks for itself, in illustrating this point.

#156526 by MikeTalbot
Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:58 pm
LH

I write the songs the way they pop into my head. I do cross genres a bit and have a new tune for Outlaw Country / HR that I have some hopes for - but mostly I'm a loud offensive HM type of player / composer.

And no offense, but I'd be heart broken to hear my stuff being played in an elevator!

Talbot

#156529 by jyarddog
Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:30 pm
Pardon an old geezer's ignorance but what the hell is HM and HR? Bring me up to speed.

there's a pizza, a 6 pack and a raise in pay if ya clue me in! :) Bob

#156570 by Starfish Scott
Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:26 pm
HR = hard rock

HM = heavy metal

YES

#158188 by Rock 1
Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:15 am
I am so glad to hear someone else has noticed this problem, having a guitar player switch to Base does not do it it's like having a glass of water at happy hour it might quench your thirst but it is not what you want
a true Base player is the thread that binds the rhythm to the melody converted guitar players generally play the melody in a very low octave
I have had the honor of working with two GREAT base players and let me tell you when you don't have one you miss them

#158261 by Tim Bolger
Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:15 pm
nazz315430 wrote:I wish i could fins a bass player on long island. we are in the process of trying to get a band together and cant get a reply from a single bass player.
we are looking to do rock, classic rock, and if anything original comes up, then we will play that too. Open to any and every idea musically.

Reply:

I might be interested in jamming sometime. I live in Brooklyn and I've been in a few gigging bands in the past even though i'm 24. Just send me an email at [email protected], if you're interested.