This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#163206 by BarefootBassist
Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:12 am

Growing up, my parents had one of those Magnus Electric Chord Organs in the house, and from when I was very tiny I would pick out stuff note by note. When I was about 10, I saw a red guitar in the store & they bought it for me for my birthday (hey, it was only $10). Eventually figured out how to play it, didn't have lessons but learned to read music in school and eventually learned how to compose chords and read chord charts. Still was never serious about it, but when my dad died I threw myself into it more as a way to alleviate what I was feeling. There was never any conscious decision to pick up an instrument, it just kind of happened.

:?

#164505 by AyrTrayn
Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:11 pm
Travy Remmert

He played drums with our elementary school choir (Up with people show) in San Antonio Texas he was a year older than me. From then on I sang, studied Piano, Trumpet, French Horn, Drums, Guitar

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sanant ... =139442674

#165259 by ratmando
Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:37 pm
Up with People- flashback for me!

I started playing tambourine when my parents got sick of me saying "I would rather be in the Partridge Family". SO that's one start.. then at 11 I was given a guitar after listening to Arlo Guthrie and Bob Dylan at full volume every night on my "Happy Clown suitcase record player". When the kids in my grade school were learning dodge ball, I was trying to teach myself all of the parts in the vocals of Queen and Sgt Peppers records.

I couldn't imagine not being involved in music- in volved, and in love are just twists of the same words.

#166017 by PapaMidnight
Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:44 pm
I lived in Va. When I was like 13 walking home from a friends house I hear bluegrass Music as i turn the corner up on the porch the whole family is playing Different instruments .Man I gotta try this .. Plus growing up in the 70's when FM stations played real rock Black Dog Zep... Wheeew Jeff Beck wired that sealed the deal for me... Oh ya Girls i was shy but with that guitar in my hands I was the Man..

#168236 by TraceyLynn
Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:22 am
:roll: Well...me and this dude were playing music for tips on the Venice Beach, CA boardwalk. We made a good team for awhile...he played guitar, I sing. But I just knew he was gonna ditch me in the streets there in California. I figured I better learn to play before I got stuck out with no way to make money. He did tell me to kick rocks once we got to Bakersfield, which is no place to get stuck in the streets...lmao...good thing I had my guitar for protection :))

#168237 by PaperDog
Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:56 am
TraceyLynn wrote::roll: Well...me and this dude were playing music for tips on the Venice Beach, CA boardwalk. We made a good team for awhile...he played guitar, I sing. But I just knew he was gonna ditch me in the streets there in California. I figured I better learn to play before I got stuck out with no way to make money. He did tell me to kick rocks once we got to Bakersfield, which is no place to get stuck in the streets...lmao...good thing I had my guitar for protection :))

Bakersfield? Damn... of all the places...

#168386 by gbheil
Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:45 pm
The number one reason.

I found it extremely difficult to make guitar noises without one. :wink:

#168970 by XhaDoW-6
Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:43 pm
About 6 years ago Hey short white kid With no 1 to jam with Through one of his guitars at me and said these words.......... learn how to play this and from there the metal core black guy was born

#168992 by MikeG9699
Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:58 pm
My older brother was a guitarist and I remember seeing him on stage when I was a kid. I would watch the crowd going crazy when he broke into one of his solos and I wanted to be just like him. He was my teacher but passed suddenly about 6 years ago.

#169009 by jw123
Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:16 pm
Mike sorry about your brother, I think youve shared that on here before.

The good thing is you are continuing on musically, Im sure your brother is proud of that!

Rock On Young Man!

#169019 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:54 pm
Beatles, 1963, Ed Sullivan show. I was 7 years old and thought "I want to do that!"

#169046 by Lynard Dylan
Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:29 am
I picked up a crank-up Snoopy guitar,
and busted over my little brother's head.
It broke the guitar, this was way before Pete
Towensend every gained any fame from
busting guitars.

#169070 by MikeG9699
Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:56 pm
JW, thanks brother. He was one hell of a guitar player. I hope to be as good as he was one of these days!

#169123 by gbheil
Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:21 am
MikeG9699 wrote:JW, thanks brother. He was one hell of a guitar player. I hope to be as good as he was one of these days!

I'd bet he's proud of you a plenty right now.