This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#145981 by drag57
Wed May 04, 2011 3:35 pm
was it a band,was it a movie,was it you admiring someone that made you want to start playing.the fact of the matter is that we all love this, what`s your story.

#145983 by Crunchysoundbite
Wed May 04, 2011 4:03 pm
I found that I was good with my hands early in life. I was good at detail and hand eye coordination.I loved listening to music as I did my work. Put the 2 together and you come up with a pipe dream! :lol:

#145991 by drag57
Wed May 04, 2011 5:43 pm
yeah!

#146050 by gbheil
Thu May 05, 2011 2:04 am
Always been drawn to music but was more into athletics hunting and such in my youth.

As a teen I played bass in a garage band with some friends.
Nothing serious, just fun you know.

In 2005 my friend Ray whom I'd met through one of my Kung Fu brothers, came to my MMA gym and asked if I'd be interested in playing guitar for him.
I went and bought a guitar the next day.

#146062 by Black57
Thu May 05, 2011 5:05 am
In the fifth grade we were encouraged to study an instrument. Afterall, anything is better than the flutaphone, which is what we played in the 4th grade. I chose the flute because...well...because it was a "girl's" instrument. I can't believe that I hafta fuss at parents who choose the flute for their daughters or discourage their sons from the flute for the same reason. I made the decision to be a musician after watching Elton John on T.V., in the early 70s. :roll:

#146066 by Jahva
Thu May 05, 2011 12:21 pm
When i was 8 my cousin gave me her collection of Beatle 45's an LP's (wish i still had them)
Then i watched Yellow submarine and A Hard day's night... that pretty much did for me.
Patti Boyd may have had something to do with it as well. :wink:

#146079 by drag57
Thu May 05, 2011 2:40 pm
i have several friends that have said that the beatles did it for them.

#146104 by ZXYZ
Fri May 06, 2011 12:46 am
5KVJOHN wrote:i have several friends that have said that the beatles did it for them.

Yeah, they did it for me. 1962 or 3. I was 7 or 8 . I got my 1st plastic Eminee guitar for Christmas then . Whatta thrill ! It did get me started on my life of debauchery tho :mrgreen:

#146230 by Drumsinhisheart
Sun May 08, 2011 1:03 pm
Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 1964.

#146411 by Mike Nobody
Wed May 11, 2011 2:31 pm
ImageImage

Tough question. I've always played instruments when available, like my grandmother's piano, the band instruments at her church, keyboards, harmonica, etc. I sang in bands during the 80's because all I could afford was a cheap microphone.

I remember when I was 12 trying to decide whether to save up money for pursuing guitar or bass. I built my first guitar from scrap wood. I found the second in someone's garbage. My dad bought me a cheap Mexican one at a flea market for my third. I later cannibalized the best parts from it and the garbage find to make a Frankenstein guitar. I kind of decided to go for BOTH guitar and bass by the late 1980's. I bought a 70's Gibson Ripper for $75 dollars at a music store. Someone added a P-Bass P/U in the middle. 1960's Guild Thunderbass Head for $100 and a Crate 4x12 cab w/tweeter. The beauty of that amp was it had inputs for BOTH guitar and bass. Later, I tried 70's Hagstrom and Fender Tele Deluxe guitars. Got a brand spanking new Fender Strat "Floyd Rose Classic" in the 90's. Got an AMAZINGLY good deal on a Rickenbacker 4001 bass about the same time. I think I only paid $175 for it! I eventually had to sell all my music gear and most of my record collection a couple years ago, to stave off homelessness. I have gradually been rebuilding my arsenal, even adding trumpet and drums.

#146433 by MikeTalbot
Thu May 12, 2011 12:24 am
Miz Friday - your profile pic almost made me forget I'm married! :wink:

But to the question at hand:
For me this music thing was tied to two things: I despised the thought of devoting my life to working boring jobs, and Keith Richard. The guy was cool and I figured out a huge thing watching him play.

to wit - it ain't about making some chord or the other. to paraphrase Marshal Suvorov - the left hand is a bitch - the right hand is a soldier! It's all about rythm. What we do with the pick matters more than just pushing fat fingers over a few strings.

Plus Kieth was cool. (and Talbot is shallow)

Talbot

#146441 by NowForming
Thu May 12, 2011 6:11 am
punk rock music.
the energy and the feeling u got when you walked into a show small tightly packed in. Thats what music is all about!