This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#144420 by Piss Finger
Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:15 am
Kruliosis wrote:That's another thing I don't get. Why is it that so many people tend to shy away because they find the music too challenging? Anybody I've seen who's ever wanted to get something down, will eventually do it...simply because they have the desire. Another thing I don't get are all these guys who won't give people the time of day because they think they're too good. These two opposites are pretty much the norm in CA. The worst and latest trendy epidemic are the flakes. You would not believe how flaky these people are.

So true. If you want to play something bad enough you will find a way to learn the material. That's where it is so helpful to play with a variety of players. I firmly believe the next guy will always have some kind of insight to technique or approach that I had never thought of. Sometimes the smallest and seemingly meaningless techniques create an "a-haa!" moment for someone else. I know I've experienced that with songs that gave me fits for months or years. That's also a very good reason to always remain humble because no matter how good you may be there is always someone else better. Plus when you are humble no one thinks you're a complete prick! LOL! Seriously though, humility is always a good thing IMHO because there is ALWAYS opportunity to be a better musician no matter how long you've played.... and not to spark a philosophical/religious debate, we only have these gifts because God gave them to us. I don't think they are meant to glorify us as some ego-maniacal superstar. Just my humble opinion... YMMV.

#144465 by Krul
Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Hey, you're right on there...music is God's gift to us. I sometimes fear not being humble because the gift could easily be taken away. It must hurt to have a big ego and have your ability to create good music erased from your hands. Seen it happen...makes me wonder.

#144930 by Krul
Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:02 am
Last drummer who contacted me was around 50. Time will tell if we ever play together. I never hear from him...like most 20 year olds. :P

#144957 by Piss Finger
Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:09 pm
Well, I'm glad you are getting some responses at least. I'm not even getting that. Oh well.... I think I may just invest in some more equipment and start recording everything myself. It seems that's the only way I'll ever get anywhere in this town! :roll:

#144999 by Krul
Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:28 am
I didn't start getting any responses until over a year ago! :shock: Now I'm getting them pretty frequently. I thought about doing it all myself too. Out of 15 people I've only met one in person so far. Seems like everytime I'm about to schedule a jam somebody flakes. Oh, how I love Craigslist! :lol:

Got a couple of guys in tow. I got an audition for a band tomorrow as a bassist, and I'm still trying to get people together with me as a guitarist. It's been unbelievable difficult. Definitely not how things used to be!

#145222 by drag57
Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:13 pm
kruliosis your april 7th posting was dead accurate!

#146399 by PaperDog
Wed May 11, 2011 6:38 am
Colorado aint the only place that's dry like that... Most of America is pretty tapped out.

As far as the age thing... I absolutely won't mess with kids...Simply cause I don't wanna be the dedicated driver, or some soccer dad. Missing practice cause its past their bed time... ANd wouldn't it be kinda hard sneaking a 16 year old into a bar to play... ?
Now in a studio, if the kid is prodigious talent, A session here and there is okay... beyond that... no way...

As for being fat...I put on some pounds...Age I think... I have no grand delusions about my role amidst the 'Beautiful people". I love my musical activity and am content with that.. The reality is that packaging is everything ...I can't be packaged, in my condition, so I have to accept that (Or change my condition) :shock:
#158837 by thejavamen
Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:03 am
Hey DFW Bluesman, it looks like it's been awhile since you've been on here. Are you playing anywhere yet? We need a lead guitarist. Apparently I cannot send a message to you through the regular band mix channels. However, my contact info is on my band profile. Check it out and let me know if you want to jam. Would like to gig with you. Let's do something about this Denver scene.
Lyndon 8)
720-519-6701

#160485 by Wazatron
Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:25 am
:) Yep - that's why I moved from Denver to Seattle. I feel ya!

#163955 by AyrTrayn
Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:35 am
I have to pile on here and say Memphis Tennessee is the same way. Paperdog nails it. You really have to go out to the open mics, coffee houses, or by word of mouth, just to meet folks.
Just for fun, create the most ridiculous band idea, post it to craigslist and start counting the many responses that you don't dare answer. :o

#164070 by Zagan
Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:08 am
I was at this place where this guy had invited a bunch of musicians trying to
get a band started. So I plug in and start to play with a drummer and bass
player. We are playing some Van Halen and stuff rockin' out. Then this other
guitarist shows up with a brand new Les Paul and Marshall Stack. He
gets it all set up and puts his guitar on and just stands there with his
arms folded, nose in the air watching us play.

So I politely ask him if he wants play or not and he says "I'm a professional
and all this stuff you guys are playing is beneath me."
I was like "REALLY?" So I said "OK then...let's hear the awesome stuff you play
then and we will try our best to keep up.

He just stands there and shakes his head like he's expecting us to worship him or somethin.

So I told him "I bet you can't even tune that thing...Get the F$%*
outta here and go sell that stuff to someone that knows how to use it!"
He packed it all up without a word and left.

Maybe it sounds a bit harsh, but to me when I haul all my stuff out to play
I'm all in and it don't matter if I'm sick as a dog or half dead...I'm gonna
rock the joint or die trying. So when this guy tells me I'm "beneath him"
I called him on it. Really I kinda wish he was all that cuz I coulda picked
up some new licks man...lol.

#164071 by Zagan
Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:42 am
PaperDog wrote:Colorado aint the only place that's dry like that... Most of America is pretty tapped out.

As far as the age thing... I absolutely won't mess with kids...Simply cause I don't wanna be the dedicated driver, or some soccer dad. Missing practice cause its past their bed time... ANd wouldn't it be kinda hard sneaking a 16 year old into a bar to play... ?
Now in a studio, if the kid is prodigious talent, A session here and there is okay... beyond that... no way...

As for being fat...I put on some pounds...Age I think... I have no grand delusions about my role amidst the 'Beautiful people". I love my musical activity and am content with that.. The reality is that packaging is everything ...I can't be packaged, in my condition, so I have to accept that (Or change my condition)

Hey man I hear ya. I'm 50, been playing guitar for over 30 years and since I moved out here to Twin Falls, ID I have had my profile up for 3 years now and noone has called. So I'm sitting here gettin fat cuz I'm not moving my equipment around like I used to everyday. All I do is piss off my rapp lovin' upstairs neighbors a few times a day...while it's fun to hear their pathetic pounding on the floor when I finish playing some DIO with my 500 watt stereo amp to 1.5 and drown out their music...I'd really like to play somewhere else...maybe get it up to 2 or 3 even :shock:

God someone call before I die of boredom or a coronary ffs. :roll:

#167715 by BarefootBassist
Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:17 am
The worst and latest trendy epidemic are the flakes. You would not believe how flaky these people are.

Quoted for truth. Had an ad out on craigslist that we kept tweaking and refreshing, and despite open communication (phone call, e-mails) up to the last minute regarding audition time and location and receiving confirmation.... less than a third actually bothered showing up.

And then some of the responses... we posted a partial set list as an example, then had some guy e-mail stating he would sing for us on the condition we become a Judas Priest tribute band... and we didn't even list Judas Priest in our influences!
#167734 by DrummerJames
Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:24 pm
I'm a 53 year old drummer, overweight and wear glasses. No one calls me either! Your not alone brothers and sisters!