This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#153504 by CheyanneW
Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:14 am
violetrock wrote:As a classically trained female vocalist who loves Nightwish & Kamelot, it's always been really tempting to pursue a symphonic metal project. Unfortunately, there seems to be no interest for that sort of thing, which is a real shame. Plus the whole "beautiful classical vocals + death growls" is just very very overdone at this point.

Oh good, I'm not alone in noticing the void in the DC/MD/VA area then :) I've been looking for a Kamelot/Epica type band for a couple of years now, with no luck (hence my joining here and other similar sites). Jaxx used to bring in the bands but it seems to be dying out here, so it's getting pretty miserable here in NoVa.

(I also apologize for bumping a dead thread, lol)

#153516 by MikeTalbot
Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:11 am
If you can do material like Epica you should be working. Years ago I left Maryland because in that area, there was just no way to get anywhere doing anything beyond mediocre - it's all how well you do at being mediocre - at best, it doesn't matter. At worse you end up drinking...

Sounds like it hasn't changed.

Unfortunately, to do really cool work, you have to be where the people who do that stuff are.

Except when you're actually putting out good product with good people this music thing is a hassle and a half. But were I young and single - I'd be back in LA pretty damn quick. Square jobs are a hassle too plus they suck.

Talbot

#153608 by Zas
Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:02 am
I am intending to start something symphonic. please take a look at my profile. if you like what you hearlet me know thank you.

#155110 by A Persuasive Reason
Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:27 pm
Hmmm. Looks like I need to post here. I see references to Epica and similar.

Yup, I got turned onto the whole Eastern Europe girl fronted Symphonic/Gothic/Progressive metal a few years ago. I've been a Dream Theater fan since 90.

Right now, all I gots is me, Jessica, and my studio, but looking for guitar and keys with some creative talent. I don't even care if you live in the same city if you have means to record tracks and collaborate long distance.

If you got some spare time, a DAW, and some creative input, I've got a smile...

BTW - Seen Epica live twice. Once in Atlanta, and once in San Francisco. Great show.

#155136 by Daniel Towsley
Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:09 am
Progressive is nice .. for me I find doing a little of everything to be fun. Currently sampling some industrial bands for sounds. Ones I put up here are Amon Amarth, Blutengel, & Six Feet Under. Would do more but just don't feel its worth it to pay. When I can just do on Youtube and link for free =). Need to most likely record a more industrial one with my vocals. I have a few others not on Youtube mainly ones by the band Satyricon , "K.I.N.G" & "Black Bird On A Tombstone". Though I am figuring overall to find a band willing to explore more into industrial, possibly progressive. Hoping to find a band that will want to play and work with me in growing =)

#155150 by A Persuasive Reason
Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:05 pm
Ahhh Blutengel. I just found out about them say 7 months or so ago. My guitar player in my cover band, Brendon McDonnell, did production and mastering on their latest CD here in Bonita at Orange Glow. They sent him all kinds of Blutengel gear... shirts, hats, a coffee mug, and other stuff.

Not sure where the album was actually recorded, but Orange Glow use to have a partnership with Jose Brill and Hard Six Entertainment out of Germany, so I believe that's how they ended up with the job.

Now they have some kind of partnership with Universal Europe, but it's more dance and other genres... Regardless, it's a huge studio less than 4 miles from my house and I get session work out of it, and occasionally trade favors... Plus they let me drop by and hang out in studio A when they have sessions. I get to learn a lot.

You can check the studio out here:
http://www.orangeglowmusic.com/

#155155 by Jahva
Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:42 pm
TJ,
Very cool looking facilities!

I'm a novice with Pro-tools just getting my feet wet, do you do your own mastering?
Your recording quality is excellent. 8)

#155157 by A Persuasive Reason
Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:48 pm
Yes. The songs you hear on my profile were recorded entirely in my home studio. However I am running a Pro-Tools HD|2 accel system, so it's a few steps up from the typical home studio.

Those songs are 'quick mastered'. Generally I will setup a new session in pro tools just for mastering. For these, since they are still in progress, I just used a few of my mastering tricks and plugins in the multi track session. Since I'm running HD and an 8 core Mac pro, I've got the horsepower to do this. I don't spend too much time on it either. I wait and do the detail work in the final mastering stage.
#155750 by -Scourge-
Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:50 pm
Vidar Volsung wrote:I have noticed that their isn't a lot of metal people on this site. Isn't their anyone here who wants to be part of a symphonic/folk/melodic death metal group?

i joined specifically for that reason alone. having a lot of trouble finding any band members. im looking for any genre of symphonic based metal. power metal, black, melodic death, anything anyone wants to play. harder still is finding them locally. im in tampa.

#160102 by HelioDude
Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:52 am
My own band, Heliosaga, is doing a form of symphonic power metal that incorporates other elements like folk, gothic and thrash. We are looking for a singer. You all are definitely right in saying that there definitely aren't a lot of people on bandmix advertising for symphonic metal. Even so, we opened an account and paid for the membership to be able to contact a the few we found.

#162776 by Starfish Scott
Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:48 am
This thread is a lost home for weirdos and men who wear makeup.

#162779 by MikeTalbot
Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:54 am
Scott

And your point? I put my makeup on with a guitar or bass! :D

Talbot