This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#101048 by jsantos
Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:45 pm
Chippy wrote:What Key do you generally start with and why? Mine seems to be 'A' all the way. I've no Idea why but someone in the past said I have perfect C?

Of course it doesn't matter much if your not good with 'C' so what is your Key?

The Key of A is very different from the key of C. Unless, you are referring to yourself favoring A minor which is found in the key of C. People who use progressions using Em, Dm, Am and Bm (a great portion of western music) can be in the Key of C and they don't even know it. You can say guitarists have it easier with playing in different keys. The guitar is patterned for fingerings that can transpose to any key. For example, changing from an Am barre Chord to a Gm Barre Chord just involves sliding your hand two frets down without changing any finger positions. This can also be said for sclaes and modes (same fingerings just different root note). If your band leader wanted to change from a C maj key on a I-IV-V to a G maj key, the guitarist has only to change their beginning position (but same patterns through out). Dont be alarmed when a guitarist says "I can play any key".
#101279 by Chippy
Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:26 pm
Thanks Santos.
Sorry I didn't reply earlier. You know I probably am with hindsight. I like moody stuff with rises and falls so your description kinda fits that Santos.

LOL! Thanks I will no longer be scared. Are you still doing the on line live thing?
Thanks again Santos.

Chippy.

jsantos wrote:
Chippy wrote:What Key do you generally start with and why? Mine seems to be 'A' all the way. I've no Idea why but someone in the past said I have perfect C?

Of course it doesn't matter much if your not good with 'C' so what is your Key?

The Key of A is very different from the key of C. Unless, you are referring to yourself favoring A minor which is found in the key of C. People who use progressions using Em, Dm, Am and Bm (a great portion of western music) can be in the Key of C and they don't even know it. You can say guitarists have it easier with playing in different keys. The guitar is patterned for fingerings that can transpose to any key. For example, changing from an Am barre Chord to a Gm Barre Chord just involves sliding your hand two frets down without changing any finger positions. This can also be said for sclaes and modes (same fingerings just different root note). If your band leader wanted to change from a C maj key on a I-IV-V to a G maj key, the guitarist has only to change their beginning position (but same patterns through out). Dont be alarmed when a guitarist says "I can play any key".

#101430 by AirViking
Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:16 pm
D standard is how I tune, but keys would be

C, B, D, F, G, A flat Are all common, (B/C depends on if i got my six string.)

#102186 by ChuggalugBand
Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:24 am
I enjoyed everybodiez' posts. I always get a little unsettled, though, when people post enharmonics cuz they're just not the same. I mean, they are, but they aren't. Happy keying, everyone... :P

#104045 by Krul
Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:43 pm
I just keep it E standard for clarity. Sometimes I'll take it down to an E flat for a ballsier sound.

#104156 by Starfish Scott
Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:55 pm
omg i can't find the ANY KEY! lol

#118836 by KylePorter
Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:29 pm
Up until not too long ago i played in a punk band, not typical 3-chord stuff(even though i thoroughly enjoy that stuff!) we always tried to keep things as musically entertaining as possible. But our singer (also rythm guitar) Kept bringing in songs in B Flat, which got old fast. any time wed try and move them around, he'd complain. Since the bands demise Ive been writing all over the place, also doing songs with key changes, which can be easily ruined, it takes the "right" song to pull off a good key change

#118873 by gbheil
Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:56 pm
I try real hard to play in the key the song was written in.
Otherwise it sounds like crap. :lol:

Seriously, branching out of our comfort zones can only serve to improve our game.

Kudos for that effort.

#118881 by KylePorter
Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:04 pm
sanshouheil wrote:I try real hard to play in the key the song was written in.
Otherwise it sounds like crap. :lol:

Seriously, branching out of our comfort zones can only serve to improve our game.

Kudos for that effort.

Oh I agree completely! However, if you can pull it off, it sounds amazing. We would only go up a full step for the last chorus in the song, and then come back down to the original key.

#118905 by philbymon
Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:38 pm
"You Key do you play in?"

I key use that for voice which the fits. Stretch when you much too, it and bad sounds. Low bad too also sounds.

Other in words, what voice your fits? Then that, use.

Isn't simple, it?

#118916 by Lorem Ipsum
Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:49 am
I like to use quarter tone keys sometimes. Most musicians completely ignore them, which is understandable (G sharp and a half? That will cause some confusion). I would say my favorite key to write for is F#, though I also write a lot in C#. Sharp keys in general are pretty cool. I really like polytonality (using two or more keys at the same time) too but I don't use it often. Do I sound like a music snob or what?

#118919 by philbymon
Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:41 am
Triangulum wrote:Do I sound like a music snob or what?

Not at all. There are a lot of cultures that do this as well. I just don't find it pleasing to my western-trained ear.

#118929 by gbheil
Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:02 pm
philbymon wrote:"You Key do you play in?"

I key use that for voice which the fits. Stretch when you much too, it and bad sounds. Low bad too also sounds.

Other in words, what voice your fits? Then that, use.

Isn't simple, it?

:lol:

#118933 by Chippy
Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:20 pm
Funny..... I forgot I started this in my other guise. :D