This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#98882 by Kramerguy
Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:45 pm
I've found myself recently obsessing over an Em / Am combo. Odd.

#98897 by Chippy
Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:06 pm
I found myself wondering what the heck did I start one track in B for! :shock:

Kramerguy wrote:I've found myself recently obsessing over an Em / Am combo. Odd.

#98912 by jimmydanger
Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:42 pm
Kramerguy wrote:I've found myself recently obsessing over an Em / Am combo. Odd.

We do a version of "Long Black Veil" using just those two chords. Dark, man, dark.

#99355 by Kramerguy
Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:02 pm
yeah jimmy, I've been working on a song that's kind of dark, but also keeps adding to itself, the Em And Am are two of 3 common chords (the third is an odd blues chord), but I'm wrapping around G, F (open bar), and usings variations on the Em, Am, and even the F and finding ALL KINDS of crazy additions to the song. I've written over 20 minutes of different melodies and don't know if the thing is going to turn into a 25 minute long yes song, or just whittle down to a dark and sultry 5 minutes..

I do know it's NOT going to be a radio-friendly song lol. That's okay by me.

#99424 by Chippy
Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:01 am
Right now it seems every key!

#99614 by Woody357
Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:47 pm
I do my best soloing in E min, or F Maj

#99616 by jsantos
Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:08 pm
[email protected] wrote:I do my best soloing in E min, or F Maj

I do that too. E phrygian going into F lydian sounds very melodic. Like a tension release.

#99629 by ted_lord
Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:54 pm
I play in Drop D almost exclusively, or I'll tune a quarter step down to B standard (as I wish I had a 5 string) but I'm just a bassist, I'm aware of a couple of scales/modes, and transposed them into Drop D easily enough, and I think I finally managed to get the slap sound proper I think, but I don't have a studio to jam out at anymore.

#99645 by cheshire
Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:56 pm
jimmydanger wrote:It depends on the cover though. Sure you can do Stormy Monday in G, G flat or G sharp. But if you try to do a Zeppelin song and change the key be prepared for negative reactions.

are you kidding? why would the person who started this thread be referring to covers?? i think the idea is when you're just playing your own sh*t by yourself or when actually writing music. i mean come on. zeppelin is good and everything, but why is it that everyone wants to learn the same covers and set the bar for themselves at some sh*t that was 30+ years ago??? music has grown so much in even the past 10 years, and yet everyone still focuses on trying to write and play like sh*t that was new and fresh 30+ years ago. i mean led zeppelin got there by BEING DIFFERENT AND PROGRESSIVE.

#99649 by philbymon
Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:29 am
cheshire, I went to your profile, but your song won't play for me. It might be my sat hookup, so if anyone else hears this futuristic music you've got, that's totally new & fresh & oh so different, I'd like very much to hear thier critique.

Going by your description, though, I can only say that angst has been so overdone that it turns my stomach, & attitude means about a gazillion things to a gazillion different ppl, & most ppl's attitude sucks the big ugly smelly wang to a sloppy juicy finish. Like your attitude, for example. I have no idea what category "indie" is, cuz it encompasses so many different musical styles. "Sludge?" Huh? Punk was so 70's man! Industrial? C'mon! I thought you were talking "new" & "fresh!" Prog is 60's, 70's, 80's & beyond. Flamenco & gypsy? I'd be very interested if you could actually PLAY any of that, cuz 99.999% of your modern "musicians" can't pull it off to save thier collective asses. Still, all in all, I haven't heard anything resembling the "new" in any way in your lil list, save for "sludge," perhaps, cuz that's a term I haven't even heard, & I wonder if it even exists.

Oh! DO tell me how "music has grown so much in even the past 10 years," cuz I sure haven't seen any growth. I see ppl rehashing the same old stuff, but with a huge decrease in musicianship, while they depend on technologies like auto-tune & vocal harmony synthesizers to cover thier lack of skill.

Even your personal sartorial style is a throwback 90's grunge look. Grow up & get with the times, boy!

You can't expect to come in here challenging everyone without getting your chops busted, kid. Covers are many a muso's bread & butter, & from what I've seen & heard from you thus far, I'm not at all impressed.

So - who are YOU kidding with this sh*t?
Last edited by philbymon on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#99659 by Black57
Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:08 am
Ian Parker Terrace wrote:All keys

Same here.

#99680 by 1collaborator
Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:30 pm
Who needs a key?

I just hot wire the thing !

And its another day in Paradise !!!!

#99681 by philbymon
Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:34 pm
#1collaborator wrote:Who needs a key?

I just hot wire the thing !

And its another day in Paradise !!!!

Best answer yet!

LOL

#100673 by Chippy
Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:29 pm
I find it hard that some peeps say every key? That's all well and good when it's just you and a bunch of muso's. Perhaps you have an orchestrated singer who can cope with high/low volumes?

Must be nice... :D

Anywho my original question was barked at and in all reality. What you are doing and who with? Does it affect you? Yes you can transition, develop anything and since that is the case. My Question still stands.