This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#294378 by stan1146912
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:21 pm
I am in a 5 piece gigging band. We are losing one of our guitarists who also owns the sound system (he did not receive additional compensation for this system or for the running of it). We have a backup system owed by the other guitarist. He now wants to receive 10% of every gig to cover "expenses". He seems to have a wide range of what that covers. I am happy to help with any repairs/replacements needed for the sound system but don't think that 10 % of every gig is the way to handle this. I will add that we gig about 2x a month so we are not talking large contract sums per gig. Anyone run into this situation? Any suggestions?
#294381 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:00 am
Gear discussions need to be started when a band is forming. Now you're stuck. Either you or someone else ponies up for a PA for the BAND to use, or you pay the guitarist the extra.
#294384 by Cajundaddy
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:49 pm
Every band needs to clarify how they generate $$, how they manage the band and expenses, get gigs, provide gear, how each member gets paid, and every band is different. If you want everything even-Steven, make sure you carefully distribute the workload and expenses even-Steven.

In our band I act as band leader, manager, guitarist, lead vocals, sound tech, provide the PA, provide EZUP when outdoors, send out set lists and lead sheets, book 99% of gigs, handle all income and expenses, bank account, accept all 1099s, pay taxes, pay promo site fees, cover Paypal fees. I make sure every player takes home at least $100 cash every gig (sometimes $200 ea), and set aside roughly 15% to cover all band expenses. The other players, show up on time, know the music, and take home the cash. For us it simplifies the process and keeps things from getting weird. No money ever comes out of the other members pockets to cover general band expenses. I just make sure we keep enough in the account and reserve more or less depending on our cash flow. When we get a very high paying gig I will usually set aside a little more. If we have a lot of gigs close together, a little less.

Some bands offer 10% for the PA/sound tech, and 10% finder's fee for bringing in a gig. We don't do it this way but it is one possible solution.
#294406 by Hayden King
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:59 pm
I have to agree with Guitar Mike on this.
Best of luck!
#294553 by JoeStoker
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:51 am
I had some friends who played with a guy who always took one share for the equipment. In reality he had a bus full well used, well powered gear and a small light setup. During this time they were playing a college circuit and he was the one contracted to do the gigs. Considering what a repair/replace would have cost, and the fact that 4-5 guys were taking in ~2500 per gig, it worked out for everyone.

In your situation, if I enjoyed it and my living didn't depend on it I would probably chalk it up to the price of doing biz. If you figure the math on how long it takes to pay for new gear with that 10% it might take a while. If it's semi-pro or hobby, don't let pride knock you out of something you enjoy. Thanks for posting! :)
#294554 by Mordgeld
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:47 pm
JoeStoker wrote:I had some friends who played with a guy who always took one share for the equipment. In reality he had a bus full well used, well powered gear and a small light setup. During this time they were playing a college circuit and he was the one contracted to do the gigs. Considering what a repair/replace would have cost, and the fact that 4-5 guys were taking in ~2500 per gig, it worked out for everyone.

In your situation, if I enjoyed it and my living didn't depend on it I would probably chalk it up to the price of doing biz. If you figure the math on how long it takes to pay for new gear with that 10% it might take a while. If it's semi-pro or hobby, don't let pride knock you out of something you enjoy. Thanks for posting! :)

I have to agree if this is up front. That said, I have been exposed to people that buy or expend funds on stuff by themselves and then come to the band for reimbursement after the fact. What I prefer is that we agree on what equipment we will use, there is no special % allocated, and when replacement is needed, that cost is addressed 100% before the band gets paid. If you are going to support one person's equipment, you need to support everyone's. Better results with one team than a group of mercenaries. (Caveat: for this, the equipment needs to be reasonably exclusive to the band. No one wants to pay for wear and tear that they don't benefit from)