This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#288124 by TonyGuzman
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:00 am
This may sound cocky, but... If a person is serious about finding other players to jam or perform with, then why on earth wouldn't they put a clip of them playing/singing something? Clearly I am a newbie and my profile needs work, but I still managed to upload a couple of videos so that people can hear what I sound like. It's pretty difficult to determine if someone Is a good fit, when there is no music to hear. Seems a bit unprofessional really. My 2 cent contribution.
#288176 by Mordgeld
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:29 pm
Confucius say, man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day. Sure enough, I keep having to ask for samples from people I contact and I do have samples in return. I do find a fair amount of talented musicians where the talent does not extend to marketing themselves. If one is looking for 'pro bono' musicians as it were, one will have to row through a lot of incomplete profiles. I think you can filter for the attributes you want but the selection becomes mighty thin after you weed out all the 'unprofessionals'.
#288226 by Strings N Hammers
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:08 am
The biggest problem I have uploading audio to this site is that it does not accept all types of media files. Now if I tried I could probably figure out how to convert it to a usable file platform but the truth is I have little problem finding bands with the type of instrument I play.

I play keyboards and I live in one of the biggest cities in the nation. My problem isn't finding others to play with, but weeding out bands that don't appear to have their sh*t together.

Those are my honest reasons why I haven't completed my profile, think of it as you will.
#288230 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:44 pm
Mordgeld wrote:Confucius say, man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day. Sure enough, I keep having to ask for samples from people I contact and I do have samples in return. I do find a fair amount of talented musicians where the talent does not extend to marketing themselves. If one is looking for 'pro bono' musicians as it were, one will have to row through a lot of incomplete profiles. I think you can filter for the attributes you want but the selection becomes mighty thin after you weed out all the 'unprofessionals'.

The last guys I played with didn't have anything online, just a few photos from a previous band they'd both been in. I think both had taken some time off while raising kids, so its possible there just weren't any (phone) videos of what they'd done. I almost passed on the chance, because of that and because half the songs on their song list were unfamiliar to me. Instead, I went against my better instincts and auditioned and we gigged for 8 months before the other guitarist quit.
But most other times when I 'went against my instincts', it was a waste of my time.

Zenith Hammer wrote:The biggest problem I have uploading audio to this site is that it does not accept all types of media files. Now if I tried I could probably figure out how to convert it to a usable file platform but the truth is I have little problem finding bands with the type of instrument I play.

I play keyboards and I live in one of the biggest cities in the nation. My problem isn't finding others to play with, but weeding out bands that don't appear to have their sh*t together.

Those are my honest reasons why I haven't completed my profile, think of it as you will.

If you can get gigs or a band with no samples, more power to you - but will you waste your time on an audition without checking out the band's abilities (via video, etc)?
#288233 by Strings N Hammers
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:17 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:
If you can get gigs or a band with no samples, more power to you - but will you waste your time on an audition without checking out the band's abilities (via video, etc)?

It's not so much that I have no audio, I just have them on media files that aren't supported by BM. Unless we're talking a professional, working band I don't really need them to audition for most bands and I especially don't need them to find a band on BM. Chances are if a band needs a keyboardist for the type of music I play then there's not a whole lot of options. Though I might ask a prospective band for audio/videos of their music if I feel it might be a waste of time.
#288283 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:29 pm
It's not so much that I have no audio, I just have them on media files that aren't supported by BM.

You can't convert to MP3?
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#288288 by Mordgeld
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:32 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:...You can't convert to MP3?

To be fair, on 4/23/17, the patent holder for the mp3 format terminated licensing, ceding the market to the aac format. Going forward, as new devices and programs are purchased, the ability to generate, convert, and play mp3 will not be present. This might eventually force BM to upgrade if/when the majority of mobile devices in circulation lack the licensing to play mp3 and instead use the newer aac format. This is not to say you couldn't use an old program to convert to/from mp3.
#288344 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:41 pm
I'll probably be dead before it becomes a problem!
#288553 by TonyGuzman
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:46 pm
First I want ro thank everyone who responded with feedback to this post. Secondly... I am not sure why some people are having trouble uploading mp3 files. I uploaded an mp3 within days of posting in this forum withou t any trouble, so I dont get it. I also have youtube links on my profile as well, so IS possible to upload media files in mp3 or mp4 format. Also... anyone can download the free software version of Audacity with the needed plugin called "LAME" and then choose the export file type after loading the video into Audacity, and I believe iTunes has a way to change the file type as well. You can also just load an mp3 into Windows Live Movie Make and use a single image for the entire video, and then not only choose the export file type, but also use a video format compatable with youtube and upload on youtube, then share the link on bandmix. Not to mentuon that you could probably record ypurself with your phone and then post the media either on youtube or on here. To me it just seems like the peraon or band can't be bothered to promote themselves. I would agree that if you ecpect others to provide samples of thier skills you might consider doing the same. If you prefer to meet people in person maybe that is quicker, I don't know. Anyway, thanks for all the comments!
#289252 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:32 pm
DurnTootinStringBand wrote:BM won’t accept my URL’s to YouTube.

Please, enter the video URL.

This is the error I get over and over.

Any suggestions? I’ve tested the URL’s. They are valid.

There are various 'ways' youtube video links can show - are you copying-and-pasting the link when you click 'share' (below the video) or the actual URL showing in your browser window?
#289258 by schmedidiah
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:54 pm
On Facebook, if you paste a YouTube link in and don't hit the space bar afterwards, it sometimes ends up showing a link without a preview and most people don't even bother to click on it. Completely different software on this site, but it's something I've learned.
#289531 by Andy aka ReLLeK
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:36 pm
For me, my experience is dated so didn't have convenient ways to record back then but tried several times here to update with basic stuff

After 5 fails I got disinterested

There are other sites