This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All other music related items.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#284072 by Bobby Kane
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:44 pm
Hey, beautifully talented people.

I haven't lived in Massachusetts for very long. One thing I've noticed is that - being from New York where everything is right in your face - it's not so easy to find venues for my specific style where I am currently.

I made a living in NYC for over 15 years just playing music. I've taken a bit of a break, and moved, and have been having a hell of a time just finding places that are down with having a solo musician come in to do a couple hours of entertaining. Would any of you wonderful folks be willing to share some of your favorite spots to gig? It would mean the world to me. Maybe we could even book some stuff together. That always been fun in the past.
#284098 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:53 pm
This place won't help you with that. Suggest you join some of the (many) Massachusetts musician facebook groups. Are you doing solo acoustic guitar-type shows? Just be aware there are a ton of players in the greater Boston area, so its tough to get gigs when you're new, and the pay scale can really suck.
#284147 by Bobby Kane
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:05 am
I'm totally doing guitar and vocal stuff. I made a living at it in New York. I don't think the pay scale can suck any worse than there. There usually isn't any unless you know how to work the bar or the tip bucket. But I do thank you for the Facebook advice. I've joined a couple of groups but haven't really gotten to utilize them to their full potential. I'll do that.
#284196 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:35 pm
Playing for tips-only in the low end of the scale around here - but don't expect a living wage that way in Massachusetts, where tips usually are pretty sucky.
'Guaranteed' pay can be as low as $25 an hour or for a 45 minute 'feature'. Established soloists (most often need to work through a booking agency who handle certain venues) can get $150 to $200 a night.