This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Offer your professional services here.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#284372 by jason1271559
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:42 pm
Update: THINGS ARE COMING TOGETHER BUT STILL INTERESTED IN FINDING ADDITIONAL HORNS, KEYS AND POSSIBLY A VOCALIST.

There are plenty of Blues bands in Chicago, lots of Funk and Soul bands doing a variety of things. But what there isn't a whole lot of is genuine New Orleans Funk/Jazz music.

I'm a formerly professional drummer with tones of live and studio experience. I have made a living playing music--everything from jazz to country to rock, rnb, salsa and soul--and I have played in a few of these kinds of bands. They always work. They always make good money. There is always a corporate gig, club and wedding that wants this kind of music. I am reliable, professional, I have first rate gear and a first rate work ethic; I have access to a very beautiful and free rehearsal space in Hyde Park with a piano and PA.

So if you're a horn player, guitarist, bass player, keyboardist or singer and you're versed in Dr. John, Professor Longhair, The Meters, Galactic, Soulive, Preservation Hall Jazz Band--their latest, "So It Is" has great tunes we could cover--Trombone Shorty, and have jazz chops to cover stuff like Nicholas Payton, and some of the jazzier New Orleans stuff, i.e., Christian Scott, let's do this. Being able to read would be great but I imagine most of this will be done by ear.

I've been part of bands here in Chicago that have tried to be this, but aren't quite this and I'd like to really nail it. If I have to wait until the right players come around, I'll wait.

A few other things worth stating: The really good version of this band is a flexible operation. That is, the New Orleans thing should be our niche. But we should also have a lean and mean four piece version of the band--Keys, drums, bass and guitar--and a slightly larger version with horns. But the really perfect version of this band would also be very adept at playing jazz standards so that we could go into trio mode for the first half of the wedding reception and full band New Orleans funk mode when it's time to dance. In other words, we would be two or even three bands in one.

For three or four hour club dates, it'd also be best if everyone felt good about expanding the band's niche a bit and covering a broader range of Soul, American and Americana music. By that I DON'T mean psychedelic stuff, no Grateful Dead heads or anything like that. Think more along the lines of The Band, The Staple Singers, Otis, that sorta thing.

It's February so if we move fast, there's no reason we can't be festival-ready for the summer.

Please respond with a recording or video of something you've done. Jobbers are welcome if you're willing to make this one of your jobs. I don't have the time or patience for tons of rehearsals. The right players will require no such thing anyway. Once a week, two to three hours a week will do the trick. But please, no "Call me when you have a gig" emails. I appreciate that position. I've been in that position. But this will require a little investment upfront, emphasis on the "little." Emails saying, "I'm a keyboardist, and I can play Big Chief, so please call me when you've got a bass player and the rest of it" are VERY welcome. I'm not going to waste anyone's time. This is not about a "jam" or "jamming." In fact, if you tend to rely on that word, this might not be the right thing for you. If, however, you tend to do and say, "session," we're probably simpatico. t's about getting it done, having a blast, and making some money. You should be the kind of player that doesn't tend to leave the house for less than $100 bucks--and the kind of player that thinks $100 bucks is the minimum a self-respecting musician should get paid because you take your craft seriously.

Age doesn't matter, just competence improvising, a genuine knowledge of the tradition and a willingness to put in a little time--emphasis on little--to get this thing up and running. You might be 22 and finishing a Masters degree in Jazz Performance or you might be 62 and have lots of experience playing this stuff.

Craigslist is a depressing affair. I'm well aware that most of the people that can actually cover the stuff I've written about are already very busy. So I'm throwing the net out there, well aware that this could take some time to organize. I know from experience that it's worth the wait.