This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Offer your professional services here.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#213890 by TheLexington
Fri May 03, 2013 2:56 am
Hello folks! The Lexington Bar is now offering space to musicians for rehearsal.

RATES:

From 10am-3pm: $10 / hour.

From 3pm - 7pm (which is happy hour, so keep in mind an audience may develop) the rates are: $15/hour.

This is a great way for bands to not only rehearse and have a beer, but it's also a good way to meet the owner and potentially book your band for future dates at the bar. The bar is owned by a comedian / musician, and you'll feel welcome right away.

As of this post on 5/2/13, we have been open for two months. So if your band wants to play at the NEWEST bar in DTLA, start by rehearsing there!!

To book a rehearsal please email: [email protected]

or call 213.291.5723 and ask for Tim.

THANKS!

The Lexington Bar
129 E 3rd St
Los Angeles CA 90013
TheLexingtonBar.com
#213895 by PaperDog
Fri May 03, 2013 5:42 am
TheLexington wrote:Hello folks! The Lexington Bar is now offering space to musicians for rehearsal.

RATES:

From 10am-3pm: $10 / hour.

From 3pm - 7pm (which is happy hour, so keep in mind an audience may develop) the rates are: $15/hour.

This is a great way for bands to not only rehearse and have a beer, but it's also a good way to meet the owner and potentially book your band for future dates at the bar. The bar is owned by a comedian / musician, and you'll feel welcome right away.

As of this post on 5/2/13, we have been open for two months. So if your band wants to play at the NEWEST bar in DTLA, start by rehearsing there!!

To book a rehearsal please email: [email protected]

or call 213.291.5723 and ask for Tim.

THANKS!

The Lexington Bar
129 E 3rd St
Los Angeles CA 90013
TheLexingtonBar.com

Actually, You should be paying the band if they draw a crowd, you cheap bastard. :?

#213907 by Starfish Scott
Fri May 03, 2013 1:46 pm
f**k for 15$ an hour, you do a couple of 1 hour shows and then renegotiate.

At least it isn't a BAR EAST setup, that's an even bigger (reads exponential) ripoff.

I think the guy has a good idea, he can hear you play, you pay him 15$ for his time and if he doesn't like you, out you go like the dog that sh*t the bed.

And if you are a weasel or afraid, you can always book a day slot, pay 10$ and the rest is pragmatic.

Oh California, where art thou, my wildest beauty.. lol

#213913 by GuitarMikeB
Fri May 03, 2013 2:00 pm
$10 or $15 an hour isn't bad, but not really for 'rehearsal', for showcasing your act before getting some money-making gigs - video, etc. Assume this place has lights, but no house PA.
Figure an hour (+) for set up/breakdown (unless they are aiming for these new punk-y bands that set up in 5 minutes and sound like it). Do a 2-set 'show', total cost $30-$45.

#213915 by Starfish Scott
Fri May 03, 2013 2:01 pm
Eww that would be shitty if they charge you for setup time.

That's like asking him for $ to wait while he writes jokes. (sneer)

#213929 by Jahva
Fri May 03, 2013 3:45 pm
I'm assuming House PA and sound man included. Can you leave a few tip jars on the stage?
Hey DTLA... you never know who might wander in.
I don't think 10-15 is not bad between 4 or 5 guys.
I remember paying 225/ month for a (15x15) room... probably 10-15 rehersals a month a couple hours each round. And that was back in the late 80's early 90's.

Even if you suck you paid your money they've got to deal with it! :P

#213933 by Starfish Scott
Fri May 03, 2013 5:12 pm
Ah faq, I don't think I would actually rehearse in there as opposed to trying out new music or music that you're ready to play to see if anyone actually likes it.

Rehearsals are for band members and shows are for everyone.

It could be a very demeaning experience to get up there and act the fool, then you get to hear what people say directly afterwards...nooooo.

Perfect planning prevents poor performance.

#213945 by PaperDog
Fri May 03, 2013 6:36 pm
In Hindsite....I should not have called him a cheap bastard. When I re read the offer, and then your opinins, it makes better sense now...

Sorry Lexington...

#213949 by Cajundaddy
Fri May 03, 2013 6:50 pm
This practice was well established in New York, Chicago, New Orleans and Detroit especially during the jazz years where a band would come in and rehearse during off hours and chip in a few bucks to the bar owner for offering a roof, lights, heat etc. If you don't mind a few regular customers listening in it's a good way to build a relationship with the local bar and club owners.

If you are good and begin to draw a crowd, they may ask you to come back Friday night.

#213990 by Starfish Scott
Sat May 04, 2013 12:15 am
I knew it sounded familiar..

Wish we had some of this around here, I'd have a new home. lol