This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Speakers, amps.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#232605 by nickyslix
Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:23 pm
I've recently picked up a pair of EV passive speakers as the new mains for my p.a. system. The problem is, the powered mixer i use is only 120 watts and the new speakers are rated for 400 watts. I was wondering would that difference in power result in either damage to the speakers or the powered mixer. I'm not pushing the powered mixer in terms of volume and there is minimal noise or hum, i just dont want anything to fail during a gig. Thanks

#232612 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:10 pm
You won't damage the head as long as the speakers are within the correct impedance (ohms) that the amp requires. You could, however, blow the speakers out if you crank the amp too loud.

Edited to change:
Just realized the powered mixer is only 120 watts, speakers are 400 watts, no chance of damaging them with too much power! But 120 watt mixer is not very powerful.
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Thu May 22, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#233792 by Cajundaddy
Thu May 22, 2014 3:03 am
They will sound great as EVs don't need all that much power to get really loud. Just don't push the head into the red (clipping) and your gear will last long time.