This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Lights, faders, etc.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#92289 by gbheil
Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:46 am
How about a discussion of light systems?
What kind of lighting do you use for gigs.
Par cans vs LED
Strobes, Balls, Moon flowers, lasers ??
Are the sound activation systems better than the old days?
Floor lighting and / or from above.
Smoke ? Cool fog, hot (rising) fog?

Do's and dont's from your experienced stand point ?

#127141 by JOgleJSO
Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:11 am
This is what I have. Most of the LEDs are American DJ lighting1 10' flat truss, 2 T stands, 16 can lights (par 38 Halogen), 2 halogen floor lights (general work lights), 2, multi-color LED can simulators (both one unit), 2 LED Gem Pulses with multi-color moon flowers and LED strobes, 2 LED strobes, 2 white LED moon flowers, 1 lazer, 1 small fogger,
40' of box truss, 25 500W cans, 4 follow spots, 2 power distribution stations, 2 other moving lights, 1 industrial fogger, 4 flash powder detonators, 15 500W NSP.

#127190 by gbheil
Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:55 pm
:shock:

That's pretty serious stuff.

#202472 by Virtual Reality
Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:28 pm
:idea: I think it is only smart to go with as much LED lighting as possible, the power demands of traditional lighting is far too great for a mobile DJ or club band to manage. One PAR 64 500 watt light will draw as much current as 10 LED lamps of similar output, and produce a lot of heat as well. The cost is not that bad if you shop around. I have 8 LED DMX PAR 64 RGB light from China, they cost around $60 per light with free shipping. They look great and are easy to program. I am running Venue Magic DMX + AV software on a PC, it runs the video lights, teleprompter, click track, and backing tracks on a multi track timeline. I also have LED strobes, traditional strobes, lasers, moon beams, special effects LED's, LED pin spots , Slim PAR 64 LED RGB up lights, Halogen Flood Lamps, LED Moving Head Fixtures, DMX Hazer, several dimmer/switch packs, and a DMX LED strip light in the kick drum. Venue Magic runs the show flawlessly every time, I purchased the software about eight months ago at a cost of $500. I also have 4 PAR 64 500 watt cans. I have the show set up in my home running on a regular old house breaker box. I have no issues with tripping the breaker, if I want to trip it all I have to do is turn on the 500 watt cans, but I don't because the last time I used them in the house they melted the cover off the wall socket.

If you want to take the easy way and use your lights in sound mode, that is cool. If you want to look like a pro is running your light show, get venue magic and a drummer that can play to a click. If it is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

#202473 by Virtual Reality
Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:33 pm
I will be posting some videos of my lighting design on my profile, feel free to let me know what you think.

#202476 by RGMixProject
Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:40 pm
Virtual Reality wrote:I will be posting some videos of my lighting design on my profile, feel free to let me know what you think.

You have to change your video to public if you want us to watch it.
:idea:

#202481 by Starfish Scott
Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:47 am
Tee-hee lol

#202483 by gbheil
Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:31 am
I have our video on my page. Utilizing our lights fog and my set design.
Here is the YT link as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi2C3PATcmQ

Tap it a few times if ya don't mind.

Just shy of 600 views.

#208968 by Crazy_keyz
Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:15 pm
LED Lighting is wonderful...draws less power, is flexible etc. but doesn't provide the throw in large venue situations unless you are using a REAL lot of them.
My group is very similar to The Trans Siberian Orchestra only we do 600-2500 seat theaters instead of arenas. We use 120 Par 64 cans...600W and 1000W, 80 Par 56's, 14 Par 46's, 32 Par 64 LED's, 2 Martin moving heads, 4 American DJ moving heads, 6 X- Laser PODS, CO2 chilled fog, an Arena Hazer, 2 Antari snow machines, 2 follow spots, trussing etc. We program and run the show using Venue Magic software ( great tool, easy to program scene changes).

As you can imagine, we have many thousands invested in this rig. I would love to convert a major portion of it to LEDs. The problem is the band wants to get paid, the crew wants to be paid, agents want to get paid, hotels want to be paid, caterers etc. You get the picture. ;-) Fun stoppers. All of them!

#208970 by Starfish Scott
Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:26 pm
Hey Scott, good to see you made it..you'll find what you need here.

#209048 by gbheil
Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:22 pm
Crazy_keyz wrote:LED Lighting is wonderful...draws less power, is flexible etc. but doesn't provide the throw in large venue situations unless you are using a REAL lot of them.
My group is very similar to The Trans Siberian Orchestra only we do 600-2500 seat theaters instead of arenas. We use 120 Par 64 cans...600W and 1000W, 80 Par 56's, 14 Par 46's, 32 Par 64 LED's, 2 Martin moving heads, 4 American DJ moving heads, 6 X- Laser PODS, CO2 chilled fog, an Arena Hazer, 2 Antari snow machines, 2 follow spots, trussing etc. We program and run the show using Venue Magic software ( great tool, easy to program scene changes).

As you can imagine, we have many thousands invested in this rig. I would love to convert a major portion of it to LEDs. The problem is the band wants to get paid, the crew wants to be paid, agents want to get paid, hotels want to be paid, caterers etc. You get the picture. ;-) Fun stoppers. All of them!

Imagine that . . . :wink: