This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Mics, pre-amps, boards, etc.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#54548 by speedyvocals
Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:02 am
so lately i've been trying to record some vocal demos onto my computer. I've got no fancy setup; Sony F-V420 and audacity on pc. Whenever i yell/scream into the mic, i'm getting heavy distortion on playback (this would be obvious). But even when i turn down the sensitivity levels and all that i get the same distortion, just not as loud on playback. even when singing loud this happens not just with the screaming.

now, either my microphone can't handle anything more aggressive than singing or i'm doing something wrong. I just figured at least a $100 sony mic would be able to capture some screams.

http://www.bandmix.ca/speedyvocals

by the way, the microphone is plugged directly into the computer (the pink mic input).

#54558 by gbheil
Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:50 pm
I am no sound engeneer but it sounds like to me you are overloading the mic.
Try backing off the mic a bit. Do you have an spit screen or mic cover.
If you are screaming directly into an uncovered mic the air pressure may be overwelming the sound. Not to mention rusting the guts out of your mic.

#54584 by Starfish Scott
Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:07 pm
Spit Screen.. or even Spit Scream

Hey that's a good name for a band, especially a few from here.

#54624 by speedyvocals
Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:47 pm
would a pop filter be the same thing? cause i don't have one of those, And "overloading" is probably a way better word to describe what i'm getting on playback. I'll look into some filters and/or screens, thanks.

#54632 by Andragon
Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:27 pm
Pop filters are used to prevent some heavy consonants from sounding distorted. Just get a Shure SM-something and you'll be fine. And don't eat the mic ffs. Keep some distance.

#54649 by gbheil
Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:38 am
Yea, Pop filter. Thats what they call it. Works on spit too. :lol:

#56717 by Keithar
Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:40 am
speedyvocals wrote:would a pop filter be the same thing? cause i don't have one of those, And "overloading" is probably a way better word to describe what i'm getting on playback. I'll look into some filters and/or screens, thanks.
What you need using your mic is called a compressor/limiter and/or a mic interface. A "pop filter" will not ease off the vocal distortions from Db levels that the mic may or may not be able to handle. This is called pre-mic clipping. You distort the signal via volume before whatever medium you use can sort it out.

#96439 by Scott Stoked
Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:55 am
Yeah, try a SM58 mic or a little pre-amp like the Behringer MIC200. It has a 20dB pad button which may help you out.
#100749 by Instant Goiter
Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:21 pm
This may or not help. Have you tried adjusting( Lowering ) the Mic input on your computer? I had the same issue when I was running direct through the computer mic port. Click on the speaker in the system tray options>Properties>Check the box on recording> OK >Then lower the slider under microphone. Like I said that may or may not work but it's something to try before buying a mic.

#104364 by Beth C
Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:44 am
I kinda suck at this stuff but this is what i would try.
Stand a few feet from your mic then do your scream, after that just use the amplify feature on audacity.
It may or may not work.

#105492 by PCola_Bill
Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:09 am
Most likely, you are peaking the input of your soundcard.

Get a preamp (as low as $30 new) and ensure that you are not peaking the mic.

The F-V420 mic is a unidirectional mic, so ensure you are always singing directly at the input tip of the mic. Even if you have to back away while screaming, you still need to be in a direct line with the element.

One other thing - always perform a "mic check" at the volume and intensity that you are going to be recording at. Just saying "check one two" into a mic is nowhere near good enough. You'll overdrive the mic and your input as well.

Turn the gain all the way down on the preamp and start screaming at your normal delivery and volume. Turn the input gain up until your loudest delivery registers 0db on the meter.

Then record your track. You can use a compressor (dynamics) in post processing to level the track out.