This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Mics, pre-amps, boards, etc.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#233169 by rsw1002645
Sat May 03, 2014 12:18 pm
Hello, dear forum users!

I am planning to buy USB-audio interface.
It should correspond only to two main tasks – the microphone connection that requires phantom power supply. Secondly, it should have the connection for the synthesizer.

My budget is up to 500-600 $
I have studied many variants and Roland quadrapture is a leader in comparison with others (according to the price/quality rate).
On ebay this miracle of technology costs $ 300, as when other interfaces with comparably the same characteristics cost minimum $ 500.

Maybe there is some other sites where I should look for it, and there are better alternatives.

The main requirements are the phantom power supply, the compressor in real time (preferably hardware, but it can be software if it can work with MAC and Windows and there is the possibility to broadcast it even in the case of sound output to Flash in the browser (the webinars broadcasting, which is carried out in the browser via Flash)).

However, I have not fully understood whether Roland quadrapture has the compressor or not. According to the description – it has.
Compressor is an indispensable requirement.

Thank you, in advance, for your help!

#233183 by GuitarMikeB
Sun May 04, 2014 12:36 pm
Not sure why you want a compressor as part of the audio interface. If you are recording, record without fx, then add later. If this is for some type of live use, use an outboard compressor.
I don't think the Roland has built-in compression (I could be wrong), but no doubt comes with limited software that does it.

When you reference 'synthesizer input' - do you mean MIDI? If so, with MIDI DIN connector or USB?
Check out the forums at homerecording.com, tone of advice there about interfaces and recording in general.

#233233 by rsw1002645
Tue May 06, 2014 9:40 am
Compressor in audio interface is needed for two reasons:

1. Sound is processed in real time for broadcast online (webinars). And this is one reason why it is very desirable Hardware compressor, because software sometimes without shamanism is very difficult to set up for online-translation

2. Portability, which, again, is attainable by the "universality" of the device, rather than a single compressor and separate audio interface

> When you reference 'synthesizer input' - do you mean MIDI? If so, with MIDI DIN connector or USB?

I'm not completely sure, because knowledge of synthesizers close to zero, and this is only needed in the near future ... if there is a good synth with USB, then certainly it is better USB, because audio interface is needed is USB, which is planned to be used only in conjunction with a laptop