This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Mics, pre-amps, boards, etc.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#223834 by Shamanic_Dreamer
Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:45 pm
Hi, I have a Behringer Xenyx 1204 like the one shown below.

My question has to do with the AUX Sends and Returns.

Every channel has a "1 AUX MON-pre" pot, and a "2 FX POST" pot.

But I don't understand what these pots do. Or how they are related to the AUX Sends and Returns jacks pictured above.

To make matters even more confusing there are more Stereo Aux Returns pots above the MAIN MIX section.

What I would like to do is use a guitar amp reverb as the as the FX processor. But I don't know how to wire it up. Or if this can even be done.

So I have several questions.

1. Can I use a small guitar amp as a reverb processor?

2. If so, how do I wire it into the 1204?

3. After I wire it in how do I use the "1 AUX MON-pre" pot, and a "2 FX POST" pot to control the amount of reverb on a channel?

4. Will all channels then have access to this reverb processor?

I have no clue what I'm doing in terms of using an external FX processor.

Thanks for any help regarding these questions.

#223845 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:10 pm
The '1 AUX MON' controls the amount of signal from that channel sent to the Aux Mon output before the channel volume slider.
The '2 FX POST' controls the amount of signal from that channel sent to the FX output after the channel volume slider.

If your guitar amp has a separate input and output for the internal FX (reverb), you could use it for for FX processing, but I doubt the amp has that feature. Besides, it would probably sound like crap.

The Aux outputs can be used to send the mixed signal to powered monitors or to an external FX unit. The FX return is used to put the external FX unit's output into the main mix, then controlled on how much of that is mixed into the output.

If you wanted an inexpensive mixer with reverb, should have gone with the Mackie PRO-FX series, much better mic preamps.

#224082 by Shamanic_Dreamer
Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:20 pm
Thanks for the reply Mike.

I'm still not clear on how '1 AUX MON' and '2 FX POST' actually work. I mean, I understood what you said, but they don't seem to be working that way on my mixer. Maybe I have it wired wrong?

The '2 FX POST' pot seems to be the only one that does anything. The '1 AUX MON' pot doesn't seem to have any affect at all.

My wiring is simple:

In the close-up below I'm going out from AUX sends 2 to the Amp input. Then from the Amp headphones OUT I'm coming back into the mixer at AUX STEREO RETURNS LEFT 2. It's just a mono output.

This actually seems to work to some degree, but not as good as I had it before which was to run the mics straight into the guitar Amp, and then run the output of the amp into a standard mixer channel input. That has actually been working pretty well for me. The only reason I've been thinking about changing it because I'm using two studio mics and running them both into the guitar amp ends up making them mono instead of stereo. So I was looking for a way to split the mics up into left and right channels. I thought that maybe using the FX feature I could get the stereo effect.

In any case, the guitar amp doesn't seem to work as good as a reverb processor. It works just fine as a mic pre-amp though. And that's how I've been using it up till now.

I'm wondering if it would be worth picking up an actual reverb processor?

I was looking at this one which is stereo and is also fairly inexpensive. It has some other effects in addition to reverb. It's a Behringer FEX800.

I just want some stereo reverb. I don't want to get into anything real costly. I'm on a budget and this is just a hobby for me.