This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Mics, pre-amps, boards, etc.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#216461 by PreciousPyn
Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:22 pm
Anyone know pros & cons

Ipad/ Android Tablet for Recording?

[I know ipad has garage band. how quality for both?]
#216464 by RGMixProject
Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:43 pm
PreciousPyn wrote:Anyone know pros & cons

Ipad/ Android Tablet for Recording?

[I know ipad has garage band. how quality for both?]

1. No pros all cons

2. For recording? you must be joking... keep it professional dude!

3. Quality? can you say Ford Pinto or Chevy Vega.

#216634 by Cajundaddy
Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:03 am
As an audio sketchpad or doing basic demos? It will work fine as long as you have a quality A/D interface. Will it replace a pro studio and an engineer who knows his stuff? Nope, not even close.

#216661 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:37 pm
There's a whole bunch of equipment out now specifically designed for iDevice recording - interfaces, etc. Not sure if they are 24 bit or 16 bit. If you can record clean tracks through an iPad, great, transfer them to a full-featured DAW on your computer after tracking for mixing.

#217772 by brian_on_bass
Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:38 am
I use an iPad 4 with a Focusrite 18i20 audio interface and Auria DAW. Awesome setup and affordable for home studios. Pro studios would probably want something like Pro Tools, but with all the free or cheap apps for iPad, I can't see where you would go wrong with the iPad setup. Very portable too. I grab the Focusrite, iPad, and snake and come out of the board for easy tracking. Come home and put my feet up on the couch and mix and master and save the MP3!

#217931 by RGMixProject
Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:19 pm
brian_on_bass wrote:I use an iPad 4 with a Focusrite 18i20 audio interface and Auria DAW. Awesome setup and affordable for home studios. Pro studios would probably want something like Pro Tools, but with all the free or cheap apps for iPad, I can't see where you would go wrong with the iPad setup. Very portable too. I grab the Focusrite, iPad, and snake and come out of the board for easy tracking. Come home and put my feet up on the couch and mix and master and save the MP3!

could you post one of your mp3's so we can hear what it sounds like?

#218271 by Lynard Dylan
Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:11 pm
To hear you must listen.

Come on Johnny7 there not talking about the
Fostex down at the Senior Center that Albert
runs on Thursdays.

#218322 by Starfish Scott
Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:55 pm
Oh boy, I can tell this is going to be an ugly one..

Is that gunfire in the hills I hear? lol

#222496 by Fixatetheorchid
Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:32 am
It totally depends on what you're really looking to get out of your recordings. For demos, quick and cheerful unprocessed tracks I'd probably just stick with a line-in (some of the amp sims such as Amplitube aren't terrible) and use GB's stock midi drum kit. If you've got a small mixer you could also stick in a mic to the same line in and, as long as you seriously boost the gain and gate it slightly, vocal tracking is also possible.

If you're really looking to get marketable and radio worthy recordings, I would properly invest. My home rig is pretty simple at the moment, Scarlet 6i6, Avantone CK6 and Samson C01 and a reamp box. However, couple that with a decent DAW like Sonar (even Reaper would do for a beginner) and you'll be able to get some nice sounds.

My experience of ipad recording was frustrating. Not enough screen room and good software for my limiters, EQ, mastering... the list goes on. Unless you have decent preamps too, you'll be struggling to get anything really listenable.
#234714 by mjnelson
Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:21 pm
Oh yah, it can be done with a fair amount of success. I have a link of a recording made via an iPad Mini / iRig mic and an app called "Voice Recorder HD" that is found on the App Store list.

May not be for everyone, but it is simple and the iRig has three adjustment levels to get the level right for live recording.

I have used it for rehearsals and it is very good for a compact solution, and the results can be edited within the V.Recorder app. [http://www.bandmix.com/mjnelson/download/?file=355441]

Hope this helps, especially if you are the original poster. (This might be a bit dated)[/url]