This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Mics, pre-amps, boards, etc.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#196339 by Starfish Scott
Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:24 am
Hey Mike, that GLS EM-58-S is a dynamic mic, right?

So I need a xlr to 1/4 cord? or do I need the xlr to xlr cord?

I want to use it to finish what I started on Monday, but it's not showing up until Thursday and I'd be insane if I had to wait until that showed up but it'll be part of the one after this one.. (lol I wish i knew what the title was, but I don't..)

("Sh*t or get off the pot" as in never put off until Thursday what you can do on Monday. I might be done on Thursday. Same bat time, same bat channel.)

#196387 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:52 pm
Yes, it is dynamic. Only use 1/4" (balanced - TRS, or unbalanced - TS) if you need it to plug into whatever you are plugging it into. As long as you have XLR inputs, always use an XLR-XLR cable.

#196496 by Starfish Scott
Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:47 am
Thank you..

#197302 by Starfish Scott
Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:15 am
Ok, so I got the mic.

I used it on Friday to jam with a friend and we both thought it funky/something wrong. We tested it next to his mic and something is wrong.

Nice thing is he has a contact at Orange County Speaker Repairs and they are taking care of business cause that mic is not supposed to suck as bad as the one I got sucked. lol

(It's always good to have something around to use a reference.)

#197328 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Hope the replacement is better! Both 57s I got work great, but I have also read where people got them and they were loose in the box, or the box was crushed when they got it.
With mics, you always need a reference - and a spare cable, because you just never know.

With cables, you should always have at least one spare of every style you use in your live set up - including your guitar stuff.

#197443 by Starfish Scott
Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:47 pm
lol Don't get me started.

I have 1000 cables and all of them are bad news..but wireless is worse because I feel like it's coloring the sound.

I am really thinking I want a condenser mic but it's a wasteland out there for that type of thing in CNJ. Everyone wants top dollar, the big chains are greasing you up and everyone is lying as fast as dog can trot.

"Your own 2 ears will give you the best evaluation or your pal that's waiting for you to bomb".... split the difference and go for broke..

#197560 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:25 pm
Best bet is to use a reliable online vendor. One of the best in my book is Sweetwater. They don't carry the cheapo brands at all. Very competent Sales Engineers on staff if you call them.
Tell them what you are looking for, what the use is and what your budget is.
Is this condensor just for recording? Vocals, amps, acoustic instruments, combgination of...? Budget?

#198667 by Cajundaddy
Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:50 am
Different tools for different jobs.

For live vocals to get a punchy focused sound that cuts through, is very feedback resistant, and built like a sherman tank so it can be dropped from a 3 story building and still work night after night? Shure SM 58 $100
The downside is it is not as natural and detailed sounding as a good condenser mic on recordings.

For an excellent highly detailed vocal recording mic that is inexpensive but found in all the top studios because it sounds amazing: Rode NT1-A $229
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... Qgod2zAA6g

The downside is this mic is not ideal for live work because it picks up EVERYTHING on stage including feedback, it is delicate and not road worthy, and requires phantom power.

Different tools for different jobs. If you can only afford one... SM 58.

#198670 by Starfish Scott
Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:22 am
I already bought a GLS EM-58-S.

The first one I got was defective, but the replacement is doing fine.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/produ ... 7-202.html

It's very much like a Shure SM58 but it's slightly shorter and heavier.

If I get a condenser mic, I'll get a Shure SM 58 beta or SM 57 beta.
They just sound a little better, but I like the GLS EM 58 S for a dynamic mic.

30$ is cheap.

#198697 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:16 pm
Glad the 58 clone is working for you!

#198702 by Starfish Scott
Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:53 pm
Yes it's very nice- thanks for suggesting that, Mike.

It's at least as good as a SM58, probably a little better with that funky neo magnet. I had it doing some odd stuff when we were testing it the 2nd time, but it was "good odd"..

"I'd buy another" and GLS was very accommodating.

They are backing up everything they claim with that mic, quick buy them while you can get them cheap.

#199865 by Cajundaddy
Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:37 pm
Chief Engineer Scott wrote:If I get a condenser mic, I'll get a Shure SM 58 beta or SM 57 beta.
They just sound a little better, but I like the GLS EM 58 S for a dynamic mic.

Don't get it twisted Scotty. This is not a condenser mic, it is a dynamic mic:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/media/u ... csheet.pdf

This is a condenser mic and the difference in sound quality on recorded vocals is dramatic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PLw7bc3 ... r_embedded

Apples and oranges.

#199939 by Starfish Scott
Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:03 pm
The sm58 beta and the sm57 beta are not condenser mics?

Yea, I am confused now..

Thanks for setting me straight !!!

(Although now I have to do more research, rats..)

#200036 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:02 pm
The Shure Beta 87A or SM87 might be the condensors you were thinking of?

#200048 by Starfish Scott
Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:33 pm
Yeah I was looking at a used one and I got the idea that all BETA Shure mics were condenser mics.

Color me embarrassed.

Glad I didn't throw down on that as of yet..

That Shure Beta 87 or 87A, is that any good?
Bet it's expensive if it is..probably not worth it.

You'd be surprised at how good a cheap radio shack mic can sound if you're doing it right..

It's like the "Pepsi challenge".
You can taste the difference but you'd drink the Pepsi as well if you're thirsty enough. lol