This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All things Keys.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#127175 by Ibn Rah
Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:34 pm
I use a Korg Tr-61, an Alesis Qs.1, and a Korg Vocorder
#128130 by jokers wild
Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:58 pm
anybody using this . any ideas how to get a Hammond sound.if possibleI have a Berlinger Amp ,its OK ,but some of the horn sounds lose their fulness

#135079 by Douglas Rawlings
Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:05 pm
Main synth/controller: Kawai K-4
midi to : Yamaha YS200, Yamaha FB01, Roland D20
Very vintage Yamaha SK20 Symphonic Ensemble
Yamaha PSS680 mini-synth connected to numerous Native Instrument softsynths, my favorites being Absynth 4 and Reaktor

Alesis 8 channel mixer
Roland and Morley volume pedals

I really want a Casio WK200....yeah, I know...cheesy...but it's cheap and has some very decent sounds, especially the pianos...
#135329 by Douglas Rawlings
Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:46 pm
jokers wild wrote:anybody using this . any ideas how to get a Hammond sound.if possibleI have a Berlinger Amp ,its OK ,but some of the horn sounds lose their fulness

dead serious....try to find an old yamaha symphonic ensemble....sk20 or above....you'll love it....
#135330 by RGMixProject
Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:59 pm
Ahanu wrote:
jokers wild wrote:anybody using this . any ideas how to get a Hammond sound.if possibleI have a Berlinger Amp ,its OK ,but some of the horn sounds lose their fulness

dead serious....try to find an old yamaha symphonic ensemble....sk20 or above....you'll love it....

Ok now you have peaked my intrest. Is there anyway you can record a little snippet of what you got going on here. I am currently workin on a production for the Back Alley Band and I am looking for a really different Organ grinder sound.
#136022 by Douglas Rawlings
Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:01 am
RGMixProject wrote:
Ahanu wrote:

Ok now you have peaked my intrest. Is there anyway you can record a little snippet of what you got going on here. I am currently workin on a production for the Back Alley Band and I am looking for a really different Organ grinder sound.

i'll certainly attempt it...this thing has enough stuff on it to pretty much nail the b-3, as well as warp it into something else altogether....analog, pre-midi, with an organ section that has drawbars, percussion, chorus, and vibrato that emulates a leslie quite well, as well as an 11 pin leslie output...also a string section and a polyphonic synth with nifty sliders, and a mixer to put it all together....i wouldn't trade it for j-lo's booty...

addendum: the yamaha is a rare beast; tough to track down...the native instruments b-4 is an excellent b-3 emulation...expandable as well....worth a look....

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... cer/b4-ii/

the b-4 and b-4 II are discontinued, but can be found via torrent download (not that i officially advocate internet piracy....(i never attack ships on the internet ) 8)

#137680 by Brad1954
Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:10 am
For live I use a Roland A-37 midi controller. It's light, takes little room on a crowded stage and the action is lightning fast. Its powers my VK-8m on one patch from output B that I split at F3. I use a Roland SonicCell with the ultimate keys and complete piano expansion cards for the other 127 patches. I can spend hours on my computer at home with the SonicCell perfecting my synth sounds ect. I write to the SonicCell and when I gig live I hit a preset on the A-37 and there is my sound. I don't think there is a "current" controller out there today that comes close to my obscolete A-37. Sometimes I use a Cakewalk Apro500 sitting on a Maudio 88 now.
Last edited by Brad1954 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#161409 by Kurt Gepke
Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:47 pm
Well, things have evolved since the start of this thread but this is what I currently use:

Kawai MP6 88 key stage piano under a Hammond XK-3c under an M-Audio Venom V/A Synth
I sit at this rig and everything rests on a heavy duty On Stage two tier stand. At about 15 lbs, I just let the Venom synth sit on top of the Hammond.

On my two tier Apex stand I have a Roland FantomX6 on the bottom level and a 1989 Roland D50 on top.

Everything is in stereo to a rackmount mixer with power conditioner. I use several different monitor arrangements. Currently I just use a Phonic MK50 for my monitor and run the main outs to the FOH.

In the early 90's I used the D50 over an Ensoniq over my Korg with a rack full of sound mods. I controlled everything with an MX8 MIDI Patch Bay. The rack just became too heavy to hump along with the Korg at over 70 lbs.

I've considered going with sound mods again but I really enjoy being surrounded by all the keys and not having to worry about MIDI crashes and the restrictions that MIDI sometimes brings to live performances.

#164969 by mistakesaplenny
Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:03 pm
I use 2 Korg Triton Pros, and a Roland SH-32 for various runs and arpegs., I also play Guitars, bass and drums. I pretty much do everything myself, gotta love them sequencers. lol

#169083 by pheonix
Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:46 pm
Roland JV1010, Proteus vx , and modified Hammond and leslie mine is a spinet so i can allways make room !!LOL
#169090 by Brad1954
Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:08 pm
I decided that 1 manual was just not enough so updated the A-37 and I am now running my VK-8M with an M-Audio 88es with a Roland A500Pro for the top. I have 2 holes drilled in the M-Audio and 2 screws in the A500pro so they are attached. I run channel 1 on the top and the M-Audio can switch channels very fast. Channel 3 is my lower manual for organ. Channels 4 to 16 on my SonicCell are set up for my favorite settings.
There is nothing like 2 keyboard manuals. I do miss a real Leslie but no way I am going back to carrying one around. All the Leslie sims spin the hi and lo at different speeds but the real one they move in opposite directions so the sounds never team up. The sims just cant get that real sound as they do team up together once they have reached full speed.
I can carry my amp with 1 hand so the sim stays.

#173109 by Vital-Signs-NH
Mon May 14, 2012 7:45 pm
I use the Yamaha s90XS with a Hammond XK-2. also have a Korg mini station for interesting sounds. push it all thru a powered mackie mixer to a set of bose base and toppers. Nice stuff. The Yamaha has every bit of the rich voices as any of the others, Roland, Kruzwel, Korg, but with a very short learning curve.

#173153 by Freddie90
Tue May 15, 2012 4:09 am
right now im just using the yamaha mm6 with a beringher amp. i'm trying to upgrade to a motif soon though

#174527 by JazzAnarchy
Thu May 31, 2012 10:43 pm
I just got a vintage Wurlizter electonic piano (200a series), and it sounds amazing. *drools*