This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All things Keys.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#19500 by neanderpaul
Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:57 pm
I have a Wurlitzer butterfly baby grand like this........
My problem is that when played vigorously it cuts out. You turn it off wait 2 seconds for a "pop", then turn it back on and it's good to go. It has been doing it less and less for a while, but it still does it. I believe it was neglected and that is why it does it. Because the more and longer I played it the less it did it. I took it apart and sprayed electrical contact cleaner in it and checked the grounds to no avail. Any tips?
thanks!!

#24630 by lubega
Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:01 am
Wow. It is beautiful! I would love to get my hands on some older gear like that. I believe I would begin with a Fender Rhodes, and then get a Wurlitzer...

:)

#24636 by HowlinJ
Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:54 am
Neanderpaul,
Just curious, are there any preamp tubes in that Wurlitzer?
Old type Transistors?
If there are any , they may be due for replacement.
John.

#24638 by neanderpaul
Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:05 am
John, I opened her up and didn't see any tubes, but maybe I didn't get in far enough. I saw alot, but I didn't try to go in from the bottom. I think that because it messes up less and less that that would rule out a tube issue, but what do I know? That's why I'm asking. Thanks man!

#151858 by neanderpaul
Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:12 am
I can't believe it has been this long. I finally got the butterfly working perfectly. I can't leave it alone. And I haven't played anything else since I got it back about 2 months ago. I'm in heaven. this is the instrument I was made to play.

#151872 by Starfish Scott
Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:14 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxP71pxwnrg

Check cold solder joint at base of Q9 ?

or

Reed bar making bad contact and shorting out?
#152624 by Brad1954
Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:42 am
If the unit only cuts out when playing hard then it could be a power supply problem for the pre amp or output drivers. As the unit requires more power it just doesn't have it and cuts out. check the outputs with a voltmeter and see if the voltage drops to 0. Possibley a weak protection relay.
Last edited by Brad1954 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

#152643 by neanderpaul
Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:29 pm
I fix lots of things. Cars, jewelry, toys etc etc. Bit I was at a loss on this one. Luckily I found a pro. It has been fixed for a while now. Here is the result.
http://forum.bandmix.com/viewtopic.php?t=18121

#161072 by Kurt Gepke
Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:01 am
neanderpaul wrote:Here is mine in action. http://youtube.com/watch?v=rhhYkwPAcIQ

Nice cover, Paul. Is that a Model 140 ? I had a couple of those and a couple of curve top Model 200 rigs. I kept them in tune with a Peterson strobe and a soldering iron to lengthen and shorten the tines.

KG

#161089 by neanderpaul
Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:07 pm
Thank you! No, it is a 270, butterfly baby grand. Very late in the series. I gave a 200 as well. I know how to tune them ... In theory. :lol: Just haven't had the nerve to try yet.