This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All things Keys.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#248274 by SweetChildOMine
Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:07 am
Hello everyone, great community you got here!

I am 26 years old and always been surrounded with music and by many inspiring musicians. Long story short; I used to play the piano as a child and then moved to Keyboards and then because of work and many reasons I left it and always blamed myself for not continuing. I found my real talent, the guitar. I do want to return to the Keyboard (not enough space for a piano) also I am a hobbyist music producer and a keyboard will make it easier recording my pieces.

I am no where near professional but I was hoping you could suggest a proper keyboard which has a proper sound and compatible with different DAWs such as Ableton, FL Studio, Logic Pro and BitWig.

I want to take it seriously and already worked out a schedule to be able to practice properly. I heard a couple very intriguing keyboards were released by Roland, Korg and Yamaha in the past 2 years for under $700.

I understand that for 500-700 I may not get the ultimate keyboard but I know I can get a very decent one. Please suggest the models if you've got the time for it. I really appreciate your help.

Example of one that I liked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gaQN4qCGIE

This is another example, a bit cheaper but good bang for buck:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/williams-legato-88-key-digital-piano
#248322 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:41 pm
Any keyboard would be compatible with a DAW, assuming you are recording audio and have an audio interface. IF you mean MIDI compatibility, the same applies - almost all mid-level keyboards now have MIDI out (usually USB these days).

My suggestion is to get to a music store and play some models to see which ones you like the feel of. Yamahas have always been highly rated for their piano sounds, but lately everyone has caught up with them.
#257811 by Displaced Pianist
Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:57 pm
Dunno if my advice would be considered "professional" (still not sure what that means), but I would avoid anything Williams...or any other off-off-brand. Stick w/ Roland, Yamaha, Korg; they are the big 3 names for a reason (better construction, technology, etc.). If you want to go cheaper, check out the Casios--they make some decent units that are a step above the toys they are known for. Do your homework and check out the reviews of the various units--there are actually websites/forums devoted solely to all things piano/keyboard (for ex., pianoworld.com). Decide exactly what you want--there are a multitude of options that need to be considered (i.e., polyphony, weighted v. non-weighted, connectivity, etc.). And most important, do what Mikey suggests--hit the music stores and play 'em. Would you buy a car without driving it first?

If you don't want to lay out lotsa bucks, there's always the used route & CL. I've gotten some good stuff that way. If you've done your homework and see something decent but don't know how to inspect a used DP or keyboard, find someone who does and ask them to go along. Lotsa folks buy DPs (usually brand new) thinking they'll learn how to play and impress their family & friends, but they don't follow through and soon decide they wanna ditch that DP. That's where I come in--it ain't easy to sell a used DP, just aren't that many pianists around. If you're set on buying new and have identified some good possibilities, you can also check out Amazon--they actually do carry a number of credible DPs & keyboards.

Good luck, have fun...