This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All things Keys.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#228395 by Stevestar99
Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:13 am
Well I sprung for a used SK-1.. The electronics are fantasic.. You can hear the difference between my Roland and the SK-1.. The SK-1 beats it hands down... BUT the phyical keyboard sucks.. The keys are WAY TOO stiff for me.. I find myself having to pound on it, so I can't control the key volosity when I'm playing the piano.. You would think, for that kind of money, they would have given you a primo keyboard.. BUT THEY DIDN'T.. Maybe some of you guys like pounding on bricks, but I don't..
Anyway, I broke it open to see if I could change the key pressure.. Yep, I can change it, if I change the 61 springs.. which I would not mind doing, but they made them in a weird shape.. So now, I'm going to have to hand twist 61 springs.. Oh joy... That's unless somebody know where I can get a set of lesser tension springs.. I ain't holding my breath...
Last edited by Stevestar99 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

#228407 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:54 pm
The OEM springs probably lose a lot of their tension in the first few months of extensive playiing, which is why they start them so stiff.

#228426 by Stevestar99
Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:24 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:The OEM springs probably lose a lot of their tension in the first few months of extensive playing, which is why they start them so stiff.

Ya, Mike.. That's what I'm hoping for.. Now I must say, we did do a New Year's private party.. and after an hour and 6-pack, it wasn't so bad.. But to practice on it, sober at home,... ain't no fun

#228732 by Stevestar99
Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:25 am
UPDATE... I re-sprung it.. I removed the .029" (D) .25" (L) springs and replaced them with .026" (D) .33" (L) springs.. NOW I'M IN HEAVEN...

By lengthening the springs, the tension doesn't change as you hit the bottom of the key stroke as it did before.. And it doesn't feel like your fingerer is being force up off the key..

PS.. We had a "big" Jam session last Friday night.. Me and the SK were backing six rhythm/leads.. And the SK out shined them all... "WOW".. was the most common commit I heard from the guitar boys...

And YES.. the SK is worth very penny that I scrounged up for it..

#229633 by Starfish Scott
Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:50 pm
Awesome Steve, adapt and overcome.

If you don't like the way it plays, adjust it to play so you do like the action.

GJ!