This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All things Keys.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#227319 by Starfish Scott
Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:12 am
I am looking at a Kurzweil K2500.

It needs a new watch battery in order to save any custom user presets, but I am to get it fairly cheap.

Anyone know anything definitive about these?

I need a real synth and this looks like it might be the ticket..

Please advise..

#227711 by Starfish Scott
Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:25 pm
OOh okay, so I am pretty sold on a Kurzweil K2500X. (I really don't need the sampler on a K2500XS.)

So I found one, but it's got some issues.

It has a busted (power entry supply module part #4716 (40$)) and possibly could use a good internal cleaning.

I've asked a few authorized Kurzweil repair setups about this and they don't seem to want to tell me anything.

Anyone have any idea what I am looking at to replace this stupid plug and have it cleaned?

This is the piece.
http://www.syntaur.com/4716.html

I'd replace it myself, but I've noticed that some flagship synths do not take lightly to being opened and worked on. I'd rather do it myself, but I don't want to spend a million bucks to get the thing running correctly.

Otherwise, I have a new synth and a real weird sounding one at that !!!

88 key synthesizer is nice, but a truly weird sounding 88 key synth = priceless. (almost) lol

#227718 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:38 pm
If the powere supply connection thingie is busted, how do you know the rest of the synth works?

#227729 by Starfish Scott
Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:12 am
Exactly the current problem, my astute college.

I was dealing with this one guy locally. He was to sell me this K2500X cheaply. So I called him and we chatted a bit.

He offered me a 14 day warranty.

I was calling around and I finally got in touch with "Triple S", one of the few authorized Kurzweil dealers in the area...
http://www.triplesservice.com/index.html

From there, it started to go downhill fast.

First and foremost, authorized Kurzweil dealers are in short supply.

The tech I spoke to warned me about how much trouble I could be getting myself in. He estimated about 400$ worth of work as when that power entry module has to be replaced, it's usually some other repairs that go with it as well.

I about laid a golden brick on the sidewalk right there.

So I got back to my contact and I explained what I had found out and he told me a little story. (moan)

He goes, "he bought it from Bucks County Playhouse". (A fairly well known troupe in these parts.) The guy had complained that he had power issues, so the gentleman from the troupe took it back. When he got it back, the power entry module was busted and the trope fellow told him that he must have done it by accident, because the troupe member didn't do it.

No that sounds fishy as hell to me. I saw what was left of the power entry module and only the ears are broken off. Plus the part is a 40$ part, if he fixed it, the synth would be worth somewhere near 7-800$.

I was buying it for about half.

I finally told the guy that I would take it for slightly less, considering I would have to take it to Bloomfield (about an hour from here) and he could forget about the warranty as I would have to go over it with a fine tooth comb anyway.

He wouldn't budge, had no sound library floppies or cd's, no case and no clue.

In short, I just got done writing him and thanking him, but declining his offer.

If it was a tad cheaper, I would have attempted to repair it but he was a dingdong and a greedy dingdong at that.

Oddly enough, I just got a reply from a guy I had solicited about a K2600XS with full sound libraries, hard shell case, pedals and other goodies. It's far from me, but if I am going to spend the $ I really don't have, may as well get something that needs nothing.

I played a PC3X and I thought that was awesome until I saw the price tag.

Since then I have been sick to my stomach.. lol

(If you can hear me Santa, you can always drop off the "Veena" you stole from me or I'll keep looking to shoot Rudolph and make him into holiday dinner. lol ...with some cheese and rolls, if you are hungry, stop on in..)

Most of us are born at night, but not last night.. Don't be a fool this holiday season.

#227745 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:13 pm
The sounds of old synths are great, but repairs and lack of software that'll work on a new computer kill things - that's why I got rid of the Kawai I bought last year for the Beatles band. I couldn't program any sounds because I couldn't get any software for it that worked with new Windows.
As I don't need a synth for live playing now, I'm happy with all the (free) soft synths I have that I can control with MIDI from my cheap Casio.

#227751 by Starfish Scott
Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:43 pm
I just like the Kurzweil K2500's and K2600's because of all the good Pink Floyd style sounds you can do with them.

I mean, sure they are great with 3 or 4 regular sounds like wurly, piano et cetera, but the really truly weird stuff is right under the surface and if you can work with the V.A.S.T. engine, you can be inspired.

I know because it inspired me and I never would have thought any keyboard would do that save an Alesis Andromeda A6.

Then again, I don't have $3-4K to drop on a keyboard..lol Not even close...

I'd be lucky to be able to afford a cheap Ouija board so I could attempt to channel Rick Wright..

#227757 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:34 pm
Do you have a MIDI keyboard? You should try out some of the free VSTi synths, I've got half a dozen I haven't even loaded up to try out yet, many go way beyond the 'standard presets' and have knobs, sliders, etc. - I've got one which is supposed to be a Mini Moog clone.

#227763 by Starfish Scott
Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:34 pm
I am not really into rack mounted pianos or midi controllers and the like.

I am computer literate, but not in the respect of musical endeavors.

I have a laptop that I use with Sonar 6 and Guitar Rig 2 w/ controller, but that's as far as I go. I keep it as basic as possible.

The VST's in general I am not really comfortable with.

As with most anything else I play, "I only play it, I don't engineer it".
#228385 by alan chapman
Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:56 pm
I haven't used that model but I work as a stage hand and see touring broadway shows come through all the time with these. They must be pretty robust if the guys on tour keep using them. I have used the PC2X (new model out is the PC3X) at our church for 8 years and it has great sounds for the piano, strings, and horns. Not a lot of choices for organs even though it had a B2 emulator built in, also not many choices for pads or synth sounds. I tend to use my Alesis for pads and synths. I would love to have a Kurzweil but thehy are not in my budget at the moment.

#228625 by Starfish Scott
Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:29 am
Try the K2600, that's my current recommendation.

I am just learning to program the VAST engine, but it's freaking spectacular.

More than I could have hoped for...

#229771 by 3917
Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:12 pm
K2500X for sale .Works perfect. Used only 30 hours. 1500.00

#229777 by Starfish Scott
Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:38 pm
1500$ LMAO

Wow, what robbery.

I didn't near pay that even for my K2600XS.

Over here, I can buy a K2500 for 700$ and I thought that was robbery.

Moral of the story, "let the buyer beware".