This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All things Keys.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#209424 by Starfish Scott
Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:46 am
I just wanted to know if anyone knows anything about Knabe Baby Grand Pianos?

One could be moving in near me and I was curious if it is any good.

I think it's either a 1965 or a 1979.

#209442 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:07 pm
Older ones are still worth lots of money, if in good condition. For something of that possible age, no way of knowing until you try it out. I taught myself piano on my father's baby grand, he got it on a deal from a piano school, but the thing would never stay in tune.

#209469 by Starfish Scott
Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:55 pm
I think I just hallucinated.

I read it as "he got it from a deaf Piano school". LOL

PS: Just got back from looking at it.
It was out of tune and had been out for over a year.

NO WAY. The chances that thing would ever stay relatively in tune were astronomical.

#209473 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:34 pm
You're probably right. A pro piano tuner/restorer would do a check on it for $40- $100, depenidng on distance he has to travel.
These days used pianos, unless *top* class/rare are seldom worth more than the cost to move them and get them tuned up again.
My mom asked me if I wanted my dad's spinet (he got that after selling the out-of-tune baby grand) and I said 'no thanks'. Online research showed it woudlnt' be worth much, and more than I wanted to do to move it.

"Deaf piano school" - that's a good one! ALthough deaf people can 'hear' a piano bu putting their hands on the casing.

#209538 by Starfish Scott
Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:45 am
If a piano is out of tune for a year, it usually won't hold a tune after that.

After you move the piano, you are supposed to wait 90 days before you attempt to tune it.

Any piano I was ever interested in was in tune when it was shown or else you are asking for trouble.

And you can move a piano around her for about 200$, pretty cheap if you ask me. You just have to find the right victim, I mean piano mover. lol

#212501 by holdsg
Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:33 pm
I learned piano on a Knabe baby grand. It was a great piano for me. I think it was tuned once in the 12 years I played on it. But, having said that, it was never out of tune for an extended period, so I have nothing else I can give you on that question.