This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All things Keys.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#620 by Toddskins
Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:59 am
Well, 'looks like there is no interest in/by keyboard players, or so it seems, so let me be the first to post.

Just moved back to St. Louis, MO and think I might get serious again about recording and producing my compositions using my Killer Dell computer and Sonar v.3. I love to compose and arrange other parts and on my Kurzweil workstation, it is so easy to do. I have some excellent samples of other instruments, and it's a lot of fun figuring out the technique on the keyboard to play convincingly other types of instruments (i.e. guitar, horns, etc.).

Anyhoot... If Rock is not dead, it is pretty sick. I miss the music of 20+ years ago.

#1648 by Think Music
Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:19 pm
Im trapped in the 1970's my self. I do everything in Sonar and Native instruments. :shock:

#1756 by Irminsul
Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:55 am
Good topic.

I think part of the reason we're "missing something here" is that live music is not a real event anymore. Don't get me wrong, Green Day can sell out a ten thousand seater, but outside of that league? Slim pickens. It used to be that just about anytime live music was going on, people would go to see it because it was still an event. I guess I'm betraying my age here, but I'm recalling the days that ELP, YES, etc were crafting the performing scene.

We've become so numbed by ever faster and more amazing media, that the simple and honest act of making music on an instrument is not really a reason for people to gather anymore. Sad.

#1764 by RhythmMan
Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:32 pm
More people would go to see live music if the prices weren't so high.
I've recently skipped 3 different music events in CT, because the price for two tickets at the (3) events was $80, $100, and $160, respectively.
For each event, those were the cheapest tickets available.
I realize that my fellow musicians need to make money. But it's obvious that they don't really care how many people will hear their music.
Making money is their prime concern. It's a job.
It used to be that musicians' prime goals was to delight audiences, and make some money while doing it.
Now their prime goal is to play music eclusively to those who can afford their outrageous ticket prices.
Oh, by the way - the LAST 2 concerts I went to, was EL&P, and Yes, years and tears ago. Both were a great experience.
But - I've got to eat, and pay the rent, too.
#1772 by Irminsul
Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:28 pm
I wish I could agree that money is the determinative factor in the slump. Again, this is just my personal experience, but I have been to many outdoor, indoor FREE concerts from some damn fine musicians and there was practically no one there to watch them. I certainly agree that concert ticket prices these days are "beyond the beyonds" as they say in Ireland, but its part of a more general malaise with music for the public. I guess I could say there doesnt seem to be a great spirit moving "music for the masses" anymore - at least not in the way that it used to in gatherings of people from time immemorial.

I'll get off my soap box now. This has been a subject of bewilderment for me for some time.

#3522 by Chemical Residue
Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:02 pm
Well that Dave Matthews free concert gives a twist to all the posts going on...I mean, that was a huge event.

#3636 by Keys Guy
Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:11 am
This is new to me chatting if you will. I have been playing since 1971. We are defenitly in a new age. I keep reaching for the feeling I got back then. The excitement of the night of the gig. The crowd was automatic. Music was hip. You had to create something. Now you plug in a black box and it's there. Any one can do it attitude. M tv screwed everything up. Video sit on your but at home and watch. I would love to play with another keyboard player. Hammond and piano. Make melody instead of this Rap Crap. ( HMMMM Good name for a tune). Hold steadfast guys. Everything comes around.

#3737 by Chemical Residue
Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 am
dont hate on rap......

#3760 by Irminsul
Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:31 pm
Chemical Residue wrote:dont hate on rap......

With me it's not a question of hate - it's just that I don't resonate with it. It's not in my experience. I wasn't raised no the mean streets, never had to duck bullets from a drive by.

One of the coolest parts of someone's compostions is honesty. These rich, coddled people who try to do the gangstah rap thing just make me laugh.

#3768 by Keys Guy
Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:21 am
I have to agree. I was not brought up in that kind of enviroment. I do not hate any (music). I do not consider Rap a form of music. It's more of a form of protest using the music media as a tool. I belive the M in music stands for melody which is non present in most Rap things. It's basicly a groove box and a poet if you will goin at it. Sure it has to be mixed but most of the lyrics I still do not understand. I am sorry if you do not care for my opinion but for me there is no effort in Rap put in any learning of an instrument wether it's playing or singing. There is no band. Just one or two guys usually bitchen about something we as a society has done wrong by them. There is no show as in show business just one or two guys jumpin around in way to baggy of clothes that do not fit. Come on, at least pull up your pants and when indoors take off your baseball cap so we can see your face. To me it takes practice and dedication to learn how to extend your feelings through an instrument or singing. I guess that's our country today. No responsibility, the easy dollar at the expence of anything that is decent. That's why I am a big fan of jazz. True players that have taken there thoughts and feelings a step farther than most.

#3773 by Irminsul
Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:07 pm
It's so interesting that you brought up melody. See I agree with you - melodic content is gradually disappearing from music, and that's a terrible shame. Melody is the soul of the piece. It's the voice. You can really doll up a melody with some nice chordage and rhythm, and of course some lush production - but if you don't have that kernel of musicality in it - the "here's what I have to say" part - the piece hasn't got sh*t.

#4048 by Tim keys
Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:31 pm
THe major problem i see with modern music is that you have amateur musicians trying to play amateur songs, prior to them ever learning how to arrange and perform a good cover song.
It makse for some really bad music. as for rap ,, id doesnt rhyme with crap for nothing. rat

#5548 by the Real DrumMan
Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:23 am
:twisted: Well,cry me a river!,Being a drummer,looking for Keith Emerson,or Rick Wakeman,to play Prog Rock,or form a tribute band,has been for over 25 years--a pain in despair.Imagine other musicians,who are looking for you--and Keyboard players,even in Entertainment capitol Central Florida--are nowhere to be found!Any analog&MIDI board players out there who need work?And dont want to be a clone/classic top 40 run of the mill band?Let me know,I'm in Palm Bay Florida,the Space coast,and would move,or travel to play with a like minded Board player,Tarkus,six wives,Triumvirat anyone?
Thanks for reading from another frustrated "Prog Rock Player".
Frank "Drumman"Johnson :(
www.drumman.iwarp.com

#5573 by Irminsul
Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:08 pm
Frank, I grew up on Emerson and Wakeman. If you weren't so far away we'd already be playing together.

#6817 by gcobaugh
Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:46 am
theReal DrumMan wrote::.....,Tarkus,six wives,Triumvirat anyone?
Thanks for reading from another frustrated "Prog Rock Player".
Frank "Drumman"Johnson :(
www.drumman.iwarp.com

Names I have not heard in so long. Wish I could find a Triumvirat CD somewhere. But I'm a Uriah Heep kind of keyboard player, unable to find mates that want to play any Heep. Oh well, I'll keep working on my current band mates. Their starting to break down. If I could just get them to do Stealin, and see the reaction to it, I know it would be good, then maybe on to Rainbow Demon and Sunrise.