This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All things Keys.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#181059 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:15 pm
Lynard Dylan wrote:Isn't Middle C in the wrong place
''on that midi'' roll?

Yes, if it was musical notation! The piano keys correspond to the lines on the piano roll to the right - each one is a channel/sound. You can set them to be the music note itself on a virtual synth, for example, or you can set it to be anything else you want to control through MIDI, for example a drum set with toms, cymbals, etc.
I haven't done any MIDI editing of msuical notes, I just play the part on a keyboard and let the software 'write' the MIDI notation. But if I f**k up a part (say played a C when I wanted a C# or played a note at the wrong time), I could go in and 'move' the note with a quick click of the mouse.

#181070 by Lynard Dylan
Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:15 pm
You couldn't use that live, could you?

I base all my piano playing around Middle C.
You move it and your no longer on the treble clef,
maybe some type of alto clef?
I don't know it just seems like it would make it harder,
for me.

#181100 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:10 pm
Sure you can use it live! All you need is a controlling keyboard, plugged via MIDI into your laptop. Call up the virtual instrument (some have 'stand alone feature available), otherwise, you kick on your recording software (DAW), plug the virtual instrument into it (just like adding a FX), and the output from the computer (or your interface) to your amp.
If you use a bunch of different ones, you can access them all at one time in the 'fake song' you have in your DAW, each one on a separate channel, muted until you need it. Or you can have a different 'fake song' ready to go with each virtual instrument preset on it.

I know the Newfoundland band Great Big Sea's drummer uses it for various keyboard songs he runs in a setup next to his drums. He just has a little mini 25-key keyboard and gets a sound like a Hammond B3 organ on a couple of tunes.

#181114 by Lynard Dylan
Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:49 pm
I'm sure tht was a great answer Guitar Mike,
but I plug my guiatr into my amp, set the volume
level on both pickups and play.

I watch them use the computer, and all the phukkin
remotes (I have a ahrd time with my TV, DVD player,
and cable TV remotes), sure haven't caught on yet.
They told me today weregoing to start recording everything
we play, practice and shows, maybe I'll become a little
bit more techie.

They've got 2 songs on their CD that are more piano based
then guitar, but they played it on ProTools, now I have to
reproduce it live. I play piano just like I play guitar, I plug it
in to my head, set the volume level and play.

#181240 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:38 pm
Guitar players don't need to know MIDI, but if you got yourself a MIDI-capable guitar, you could do it all from the guitar.
Keyboard players, on the other hand, need to know it unless they are just doing piano/organ basic rock tones. I don't miss the old days of moving a Hammond B3 and full-size Leslie speaker around!

#181243 by Lynard Dylan
Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:43 pm
They've got a Hammond organ sound on one
song, but I've only worked on guitar parts.

Keep pushing the knowledge about midi's thru
the forum, one day I'll catch on. :)

#184161 by Lance Woodrum
Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:38 pm
:D Try a Kurzweil 2500 it has great piano and strings much better than most other keyboards unless youget into the $1800 ot better price range
A used one youcan get for less than $1000

#184266 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:16 pm
Rokaround wrote::D Try a Kurzweil 2500 it has great piano and strings much better than most other keyboards unless youget into the $1800 ot better price range
A used one youcan get for less than $1000

Yeah, I wish! I spent 1/10 of that for the vintage Kawai, which will do for now.