This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All things Keys.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#174599 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:45 pm
I'd really like something with better strings sound than the Casio WK500 I have. It works fine for recording - I play 1 part at a time, and multitrack at least 3 tracks. Live playing sound is so-so.
Can't afford much. Are the cheap Yamaha keyboards any good for strings sounds? I know people rave about their grand piano sound.
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#174616 by gbheil
Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:53 pm
Don't know. But it is an interesting topic. Been researching them on line myself. Really don't know squat till you hear them though.

#174646 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:33 pm
I agree - however listening to a keyboard through it's built-in speakers can give a false idea of how they sound when plugged into an amp or PA, that's why I'm hoping to hear some opinions.

For recording, I'd love to find a nice (free) VSTi for strings, but so far I have only got one that emulates mellotron, ARP and other older string-synth instruments.

#174654 by gbheil
Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:04 pm
Although unheard by myself the literature on the new offerings by YAMAHA & KORG have a lot of features from "grand piano" sound to recording capability.

And you absolutely right. Everything seems to sound different though a big PA system.
Perhaps utilizing headphones at the store ??

Wonder if we could get a hold of Ron ... he has a lot of experience in these matters, touring ETC.

#174745 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:31 pm
I'm quite happy with the piano sounds in my WK500. Layering 2 sounds and adding some reverb 'in the box' has given me a real pleasing sound when recording. As it's 76 keys, it gives me all I need for normal playing.
I'd like a 61 key instrument for strings that I could put on the 2nd tier of my stand. Have to start auditioning instruments at GC now that I've got my acoustic/electric shopping done!
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#174756 by gbheil
Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:54 pm
Interestingly enough we have a young lady whom should be out this week to audition vocal & keys ...

#179590 by Lynard Dylan
Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:27 pm
For a synthesizer I use a Yamaha PSR 82,
it has 61 keys, and really has alot of sound.
I usually run it thru a 160 watt Crate piano amp.
I don't like that it doesn't have weighted keys.
I play a 88 key Casio Previa as my main keyboard,
just piano sound.

I've sure had good luck with my Yamaha, for that matter
anything I've bought from Yamaha has been good.
#180559 by Brad1954
Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:47 am
The Roland SD50 new is $428 from Sweetwater.com. You could run it with your Casio's midi out. The Selection of sounds (strings) are amazing. They are the same as the SonicCell which was just to expensive so Roland dropped it from there line and came up with the SD50. It also has USB and flash drive and can be interfaced to your computer. 16 channels any number of which could be simultneously used for strings. Comes with nice software too. Check out the specs at sweetwater.com. Live you would need 1.8 to 1.4 inch adapter

#180567 by RGMixProject
Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:57 am
or just use a really good plugin. " EastWest Symphonic Orchestra "

here is a example;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYEGg7FX7-w

#180596 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:19 pm
Should have updated this. I picked up a 'vintage' Kawai K4 for $99 at GC a few weeks ago. The strings and brass sounds are very analog 80s style, but that works for live Beatles tunes.

Didn't want to go with a MIDI unit (or VSTi) for live work, as I need to play multiple parts during some songs and splitting the WK keyboard really limits things.
I've downloaded a couple of new free VSTi's this week, just haven't had the chance yet to try them out for recording.
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#180637 by Lynard Dylan
Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:11 pm
That was good RG I still don't know what a
plugin would do? or how I would play it?

My tech is not good, I can tune one.

#180795 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:26 pm
A plug-in is an effect or instrument (software) that you insert into a track (or the whole mix) in your recording software.
To 'play' an virtual instrument this way, you can do it with any keyboard with MIDI capability, or you can do it with a virtual keyboard (mouse and the computer monitor) or just edit the notes in MIDI (like a piano roll).

#180935 by Lynard Dylan
Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:06 pm
You can player a computer from a piece
wrote in standard notation?

#180950 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:06 pm
No, not standard music notation - MIDI notation. Do some reading here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI (you'll see a picture on the side on what a MIDI 'piano roll' looks like.

#181006 by Lynard Dylan
Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:07 am
Isn't Middle C in the wrong place
''on that midi'' roll?