This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All things Keys.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#144143 by Brad1954
Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:47 pm
I would like to start a topic where everyone can talk about their favorite drawbar (slider) percussion and other effects, and how they like to play the organ.
No one is going to agree on what sounds better than what when it comes to real or virtual tonewheels, we all know that and only a few keyboard players today even want to carry a set off drawbars around.
Lets hear from all you other organists.

#154457 by holdsg
Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:39 am
Posted this in another thread. but when I was seeking a dedicated organ to add to my rig, I looked at several of the digital tonewheels such as Korg CX3 and the Hammonds. I ended up getting a Hammond XK1 used, and its meeting all my organ needs. Love the presents, split, and overdrive. The leslie sim is OK, not great, but good enough for my needs. I wouldn't want to have to record with it, but for my CR cover band, its good enough, and at roughly 45 lbs, its not breaking my back lugging it around.
#154895 by Brad1954
Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:38 pm
When some of my slolo's are comming up I usually like to hold or slide into a note, 2 note or triad in the high octave while the (sim) Leslie winds up. then I'm into the solo. When I play chords behind the lead guitars I will use the lower keyboard 5's all drawbars. Then I can sit back and listen to the guitars and I just play dirty chords, slaps and arpegios. My top drawbars usually start at 688632110 soft short percussion.

#155100 by JimClendenin
Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:13 pm
I tried a Yamahq MO6 briefly when I thought my Kurzweil was dead. I liked a lot of the hammond pre-sets but live performance control was awful. The sliders that become 'drawbars' on the hammond settings don't change the preset setting until you move them. So you HAVE to move them EVERY time you select a Hammond patch. Then it jumps to the slider value.
Rehearsec twice with it, never gigged it. Took it back to GC and came home with a Nord Electro 2.. Been very happy with that except for, of all things, the acoustic piano, which is thin and has much lower output than the other options. Other than that, it's been great. I use it for Hammond, clav, and EP's.
The Kurzweil revived and I prefer it for pianos, some clavs, and of course strings and horns that the Nord does not pretend to cover.
#161404 by Kurt Gepke
Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:17 pm
Brad1954 wrote:When some of my slolo's are comming up I usually like to hold or slide into a note, 2 note or triad in the high octave while the (sim) Leslie winds up. then I'm into the solo. When I play chords behind the lead guitars I will use the lower keyboard 5's all drawbars. Then I can sit back and listen to the guitars and I just play dirty chords, slaps and arpegios. My top drawbars usually start at 688632110 soft short percussion.

I think this is a great technique to come into the solo mode or even just for the setup for a guitar solo.
I first started using this when I got into Lee Micheal's stuff. He could really make that A-100 sing and dance.
Another great guy for this is Billy Preston.

Hey, thanks for posting your personal choice for drawbars and perc. I'm going to see how I like thosse settings.

KG

#165518 by Matthew Noah
Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:56 pm
holdsg wrote:Posted this in another thread. but when I was seeking a dedicated organ to add to my rig, I looked at several of the digital tonewheels such as Korg CX3 and the Hammonds. I ended up getting a Hammond XK1 used, and its meeting all my organ needs. Love the presents, split, and overdrive. The leslie sim is OK, not great, but good enough for my needs. I wouldn't want to have to record with it, but for my CR cover band, its good enough, and at roughly 45 lbs, its not breaking my back lugging it around.

Have you tired a Voce V5+?

That, plus a Ventillator leslie clone, is what I'm shooting for (or, possibly, a Speakeasy Roadbox II)........
#168701 by candiny
Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:50 am
Took it back to GC and came home with a Nord Electro 2.. Been very happy with that except for, of all things, the acoustic piano, which is thin and has much lower output than the other options. Other than that, it's been great. I use it for Hammond, clav, and EP's. http://www.christianlouboutinstiefelverkauf.de

#168803 by pheonix
Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:59 am
I prefer the real deal. I havent found anything that is like the real hammonds i play a modified spinet , sure its heavy but with wheels its not that bad. I think when you have a true opportunity to hear them face to face you can really tell the difference between the hammond and the clone , really hammonds own sounds different. you have to really have a passoin for a true hammond sound , them pushing (or riding) it the gigs make it well worth it. i prefer the first four full out with the sec perc on soft , and agree with above on playing dirty chords on bottom withthe guitars
#181866 by KeyboardChuck
Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:11 am
I've only been playing organ serious for three or four years, so I'm still figuring out what I like.

Most important to me is that Leslie fast/slow sound. I'm always changing the speed of the rotation while I'm comping or soloing.

I actually had a real Leslie for a while -- until I had to roadie my own gear, ant then it was a nonstarter. I then played with the built-in sim in the Nord Electro 2. Nice distortion, but something was missing.

I then sprung for the Motion Sound KBD-3D with the rotating upper speaker. Better, but it lost the doppler effect unless it was aggressively miked and run through the PA.

From there, I went to a Neo Ventilator, which was the very first Leslie sim I actually wanted to perform with. Great sounds, flexible controls, but it was yet another piece of equipment to futz around with. Not to mention $$$.

At some point, I upgraded from the Nord Electro 2 to Electro 3. If you're not familiar with the 3, it's a *huge* upgrade in sound, features, etc. -- they should have given it a new name.

As part of the upgrade, the internal Leslie sim was vastly improved, to the point where I no longer bring the Ventilator along. Great compression/distortion sound as well. If you haven't tried it out, you should.

I now use a "momentary switch" pedal to goose the rotation up, and then let it spin down to a slow background warble. Great sound, easy to control.

YMMV (your mileage may vary)

#185989 by holdsg
Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:16 pm
Just an update,
over the course of the summer I sold the XK-1 and bought one of the new SK-1s, 15lbs! its so small/compact, and the organ sounds great, with a better leslie, and more tweakable leslie sim. the "additional sounds" are just OK, but I don't really need them when I have my Kurzweil main board.
Liking the SK-1 thus far.

#214423 by 4043108399
Sat May 11, 2013 3:46 pm
Hammond XK-1 with a hot rodded Leslie here. Tried simulators for years but always felt like sex with an inanimate object.

#216316 by dniro
Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:54 pm
If your going to spend the Money! Buy The Crumar MOJO Organ!
#227738 by tom507481
Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:25 am
I was using a VOCE V5 clone (the orange one) which had a good sound. They upgraded it to the VOCE V5+ which greatly improved the percussion so that when the percussion is activated the volume of the drawbars is reduced the way a B3 / C3 functions. The clone has no Leslie simulator so I use a Dynacord DLS 223 digital Leslie. I have a 2 channel tube preamp to warm up the digital sound. It sounds great! I can use any of my keyboards to play it using my 360 Systems 8 x 8 MIDI Patcher.

#234916 by David_19
Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:27 am
For me the biggest deal (problem) is finding a good Leslie simulator. I have a real C3+122 and often sample it (for example an ensoniq EPS16+) and it mostly comes down to how good the les-sim at high speed and the slow<->fast sound.

I guess we all have our "standards" for example what I think is acceptable might not be good enough for the next guy, after all it's a trade off between the costs/size/sound etc.

So my contibutions would be:
The leslie in th EPS16+ is actually quite good, the slow, fast and transition are all good.

Alesis Quadraverb Plus had a "lezlie" which also seems quite good.

Now don't laugh, a Behringer RM600 (also a Zoom I believe) - mostly ok but the fast is naff (UK:naff = US: sucks).

The Korg BX3 has a nice les-sim
Hammond XB2 les-sim was ok.
This makes me wonder if the old "analogue" sims sound better than digital ones.

The best was a Hammond X5 and a 760, ok the X5 wasn't anything special but the stop-slow-fast on that 760 was.. well magnificent (US: awesome)