This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All things Keys.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#122407 by Blue Porch
Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:19 am
So we got a grand piano, and was so excited to record some great sounds. Unfortunatley we are complete amatuers and cannot seem to capture a decent sound. We've tried two mics, 12 inches above center C and another ambient mic in the room - but the sound doesn't seem right, too muted and "echoey". Does anyone have tips on how to mic a grand? We have additional mics, just not sure where to place them.

The sad part, is that I ended up recording the song on the keyboard instead, and it sounds entirely too processed. Below is a link to the keyboard version if you are interested (would love feedback), hoping to re-record on a real piano soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_OFXWjCZn0

(No, I didn't just create this account today to spam you all with links. I've had an account for over 4 years, and in the past have found bass players and other band members on Band Mix. But I pester you to ask for feedback, as I've switched genres of music and want honest candid feedback on this new sound.)

#136030 by Douglas Rawlings
Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:29 am
this is a challenge....close micing is a mistake....i would use a stereo pair equidistant laterally from the soundboard from the center, at about 20-24 inches distance in height...cardioid pattern, and angled at about 45 degrees in relation to the plane...take a third; a tube condenser would be good, and put it under the instrument 1/3 of the way between the keyboard and the end of the piano...lastly, another ambient mic above the piano, approx 5 feet above....put each in it's own channel and blend to taste....experiment with the top open and closed...for a bright sound, lacquer the hammers...or, use an enhancer on the recording, but judiciously, please...you don't wwant it to sound over-processed, and too much aphex or bbe can steal warmth....

if your ambient mic is too echoey, try damping the room....foam. blankets, sleeping bags, mattresses, cats, whatever....

#136055 by dizzizz
Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:32 am
Ahanu wrote:this is a challenge....close micing is a mistake....i would use a stereo pair equidistant laterally from the soundboard from the center, at about 20-24 inches distance in height...cardioid pattern, and angled at about 45 degrees in relation to the plane...take a third; a tube condenser would be good, and put it under the instrument 1/3 of the way between the keyboard and the end of the piano...lastly, another ambient mic above the piano, approx 5 feet above....put each in it's own channel and blend to taste....experiment with the top open and closed...for a bright sound, lacquer the hammers...or, use an enhancer on the recording, but judiciously, please...you don't wwant it to sound over-processed, and too much aphex or bbe can steal warmth....

if your ambient mic is too echoey, try damping the room....foam. blankets, sleeping bags, mattresses, cats, whatever....

The only thing I ever use to dampen...
#138558 by Soccerman58
Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:55 am
Hi
Dunno if you have the budget to buy all the mics for the other reply, but when I was a sound engineer we used to take a flat-fronted mic like an SM57 and put the mic face on the soundboard and use tie wraps to keep it in direct contact with the soundboard. The used two relatively inexpensive condenser mics over the strings.
As the other guy said, run each mic to the main mixer; don't submix beforehand.
Might work for you, might not.
Phil
#139753 by Douglas Rawlings
Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:11 am
Soccerman58 wrote:Hi
Dunno if you have the budget to buy all the mics for the other reply, but when I was a sound engineer we used to take a flat-fronted mic like an SM57 and put the mic face on the soundboard and use tie wraps to keep it in direct contact with the soundboard. The used two relatively inexpensive condenser mics over the strings.
As the other guy said, run each mic to the main mixer; don't submix beforehand.
Might work for you, might not.
Phil

How'd you keep from getting vibration noise?