This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All things Keys.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#79419 by Chippy
Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:21 pm
We've heard about midi in another thread but what do you use live and why?
I'm trying to get a rig together to play Midi voices live.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

#79448 by gbheil
Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:41 pm
Gibson Les Paul Godess into a Carvin Nomad all tube amp.
Simple is good.
We feed everything through an Carvin RX1200 PA.
On hind sight should have invested in an non powered mixer with at least 24 inputs so we could just add power amps, subs, and speakers as we grow.
For small to medium indoor venues and our genre' / style, the 1200 watts is fine. Anything outdoors, say 50 m square or larger and it's not enough umph.
Yet for a backyard Bar B Q, you dont even need a fire to get cookin. :wink:

#79457 by Chippy
Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:42 pm
Key to the City then.

#79494 by Whitesel
Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:08 am
For live shows when I play keys, it's 2-3 Ensoniq SD1's (2 are upgraded VFX's), They have a great Midi control setup with presets I can set up and use easy during shows and load programs (sounds) and all my presets for each set quick from disk. they are 18 year old Keyboards, but I still love them and love the keys on them better than the junk I've seen in stores lately.

You could always use any keyboard or pedals off a free spinet organ you can get off craigslist for free (see my post on my Midi Pedal project) and link them with those midi cards and use those as midi triggers.

I'm not real big on bringing in a laptop to most of the places I play and the last thing I want to do after working on a computer all week...is sit at another computer at a bar at a gig!!

Lots of companies stopped making a lot of the good rackmount midi controllers and samplers like EMU, mainly because so much lately is software driven. They need to make a good rackmount computer controller, would have to be liquidcooled to deal with the heat and reduce noise.
Have it set up to easily do effects, sounds for midi, recording and so forth. Maybe someone already has one...I haven't looked into it since I've run the same keyboard rig for 18 years.

#79513 by gbheil
Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:03 pm
Sorry Chip.
I know this was a "keys" thread.
My point was the PA. When we have keys involved we run them strereo through the PA.

#79576 by Chippy
Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:03 pm

#88343 by 88 Fingers 1969
Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:43 pm
When considering using MIDI equipment, consider XG as well. I have two General MIDI XG keyboards from Yamaha, and feel they are great. XG broadens the horizons and number of voices on an instrument when combined with General MIDI.

Also consider connecting your General MIDI XG equipment to a computer via USB. This can be done by the use of a UX16 for older MIDI in/out ports, or direct USB connection if your instrument supports it. MIDI files recorded with either GM or XG voices can be played back with GM/XG combo or GM alone.

When not using MIDI cables, most modern USB supportive keyboards also can utilize a flash drive for input.
#108654 by heavenwindministries
Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:25 pm
In Heavenwind Ministries, the band I lead, I use the following onstage.

1. Korg PA500
2. Ensoniq SQR
3. Roland JV880
4. Roland M-SE1

Yes, the Korg is an arranger. I arrange everything in the band. We have two lead singers (male and female), and a bassist. I take care of everything else. For harmonies, I also MIDI out to (3) tc Helicon Harmony-M boxes.

If I am not in the arranger capacity when playing with other bands, I use the equipment above, but add my Kawai MP5 stage piano for the weighted action thing.

I also play in nursing homes for a living and for that, I exclusively use my trusty Roland E-09.
I also own an Ensoniq VFX-SD, but do not really take that out any longer. I use to have many more synths but after getting the Korg, I sold my other VFX-SD, as well as a Roland RA-30, JV880 and Ensoniq SQ1+ 32-Voice.

Frankly, I would love to have a Kurzweil too, maybe the ME61 or something. I would prefer rack stuff now, as I really like to layer and can split the board between the piano/lead stuff on any of my boards.

Grace,
Harry