This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Drums and Accessories.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#48882 by twistedviewlabs
Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:11 pm
crazycloe wrote: try spankin it lefty for strong muscles.

what happens if you switch-hit...heh?

#53808 by misterzero
Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:56 am
I am embarrased to ask this, but what exaclty is heel-toe anyway? Is that when you use your heel on the first beat and then you rtoe on the second?

If so, I play heel-toe sometimes and heel up others. I just want to make sure I am getting my jargon correct.

Also, heel-toe can be played with big feet, I take a size 15 US, just play barefoot, like me.

#53898 by gbheil
Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:32 am
I was "taught" to do my count with my heel only.
I do my best work when I use my whole body.
Just get in the groove and rock on.
#55357 by Brutiful skin slapper
Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:23 pm
yoo! it does definatly help if youve got smaller feet! but if not there is a way!!
start off your doubles at like 110 until the technique feels human to you then just continue.
After a while it feels do-able and you can continue getting faster.
REMEMBER: ball of foot strickes first and as you slide down the pedal for the second strike using the toes, make sure the beaters released off the bass head.

#89980 by Ghostnotes
Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:46 am
Tap dancing lessons............it really works.

No joke

#90537 by Southernboy
Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:26 am
Which hand to you tend to start a fill/roll on? I count in my head & with my hi-hat. I play with the ball as well with the heel down. Depend`s on what I`m doing if I`m playing my double kick pedal or just triplets with the one kick? If you have a domianicy with one hand do paradiddles.
LRLRLL RLRLRR.......... . There`s many way`s to help with a dominate hand. I have the same trouble too.
Listen to my playing on my profile and you`ll hear I have over come this because for sure is a handycap. With a lot of driving yourself crazy with the lesson stuff by the time you`ve done it 100 time`s you should be good? Really though which hand is the problem? I start with rights, I play right handed drums but I`m a lefty & can play that way too. Play guitar right handed,toss a ball right handed. Shooting Lefty all the way???? :shock: It is what it is ? lol I`ll check back and see whatcha got for me.
Good luck p.s. count in your head when you play u know 1,2,3 & 4 @ what ever note your playing in, (whole note,half,1/4 ,8th, 16th`s so on) if in 4 bar measurements , four bars one measurement @ a time!
Southernboy

#90539 by Ghostnotes
Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:05 am
I had the exact opposite problem. I'm a left handed person who plays on a right handed kit and had to train my right hand. The nice thing about playing like that is my right hand is always cocked and ready to do a drum roll/fill. On the other hand, if it is an odd roll/fill my left is dominate so it's no big deal.My avatar does not show it but i have another 22"ride on my right side and another 16" floor tom on my left. That helps too.

#95908 by Louie Van Deven
Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:49 pm
Dr.Hook wrote:I can't do the heel toe, my darn feet are too big. Any other techniques to improve foot speed, that apply to people with big feet??
Heel toe should work with any size foot. Except maybe if you are Shaq. I have size thirteen and it works. Your heel doesn't need to touch the pedal even. I personally don't like the heel toe. I've found that the swivel technique works better for me. It is louder and offers me greater control than the heel toe. Check it out Doc. Good Luck!

#130490 by aaron josephdrums
Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:33 pm
I WENT TO ABILLY COBHAM CLINIC IN 1984 HE WAS PLAYING YHE DRUMS BACKWARDS. HE SET THEM UP LIKE MOST LEFT HANDED DRUMMERS DO HE PULLED PEOPLE OUT OF THE AUDIENCE AND MADE THEM TRY TO PLAY THE REALLY GREAT PLAYERS WERE ABLE TO PULL IT OFF ,BUT SOME OF THE PEOPLE REALLY STRUGGLED. THE POINT HE WAS TRYING TO MAKE WAS THAT IF YOU PRACTICE THAT WAY YOU CAN ACHIEVE MORE BALANCE. ALSO HAND AND FOOT SPEED BREAKS DOWN TO THE WEAKEST LINK, IF YOU ISOLATE YOUR HANDS AND FEET YOU CAN FIND WHICH IS WEAKER THAN HALF THE PROBLEM IS OVER THE REST IS JUST PRACTICING. ANY GOOD SNARE DRUM LINE WARM UPS THAT ISOLATE THE HANDS ARE ALSO GREAT FOR THE FEAT. JOHN WOOTEN,MARTY HURLEY,MATT SAVAGE MATERIAL.ALSO STICK CONTROLL BY GEORGE LAWRENCE STONE. PLAY THE EXERCISES DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF TIME WITH THE WEAKER LIMBS AND IN AMONTHS TIME YOU WILL NOTICE A HUGE DIFFERENCE I HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

#137172 by Lead Guitarist Available300272
Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:55 pm
Ghostnotes wrote:I had the exact opposite problem. I'm a left handed person who plays on a right handed kit and had to train my right hand. The nice thing about playing like that is my right hand is always cocked and ready to do a drum roll/fill. On the other hand, if it is an odd roll/fill my left is dominate so it's no big deal.My avatar does not show it but i have another 22"ride on my right side and another 16" floor tom on my left. That helps too.
what's your email,?I'm looking for a drummer. [email protected]

#140331 by Ghostnotes
Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:28 pm
The Brownstones wrote:
Ghostnotes wrote:I had the exact opposite problem. I'm a left handed person who plays on a right handed kit and had to train my right hand. The nice thing about playing like that is my right hand is always cocked and ready to do a drum roll/fill. On the other hand, if it is an odd roll/fill my left is dominate so it's no big deal.My avatar does not show it but i have another 22"ride on my right side and another 16" floor tom on my left. That helps too.
what's your email,?I'm looking for a drummer. [email protected]

Contacted.

#226360 by gr8guitar
Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:50 pm
You might want to check out a drummer I used to work with back in the 70's. His name is Paul Kroeger. He was great back then but even better now. You can check out my profile on >bandmix.com> and my screen name is >gr8guitar<Also> www.tompetersonjazz.vpweb.com<. Looking to get something together in the jazz-commercial-lounge genre but will consider other styles. Tom