This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Drums and Accessories.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#95673 by jonznk111
Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:43 pm
Why are the snares rattling when doing rolls on the mounted toms?Never had this problem so was wondering if its because of the cheap quality that came with the kit.Snares are as tight as they can possibly get.I already got good quality drum head replacements but still have that persistent rattling....Guess while I am at it,also need to know what Zildgian cymbals are best for rock style playing but aren't heavy sounding.Want quick crashes and quality ride and hi-hat(maybe soft rock sound)
#95676 by RGMixProject
Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:21 pm
jonznk111 wrote:Why are the snares rattling when doing rolls on the mounted toms?Never had this problem so was wondering if its because of the cheap quality that came with the kit.Snares are as tight as they can possibly get.I already got good quality drum head replacements but still have that persistent rattling....Guess while I am at it,also need to know what Zildgian cymbals are best for rock style playing but aren't heavy sounding.Want quick crashes and quality ride and hi-hat(maybe soft rock sound)

Sounds to me like you got the snares upside down, or one sides is uneven in tension.

I never NEVER buy cymbals without hearing them first.

There around 6 major cymbal names in the music biz.

1. Paiste
2. Ziljian
3. Sabian
4. Meinl
5. Bosphorous
6. Istanbul

and you can get a lemon from any of them.

When I test cymbal's at the store I hit them with everything I got. If they don't break or dent and they have the right sustain, I own them. The guys at the store hate it when I come in. But WTF, if I am gonna fork out 300 bucks for something you hit everyday they better live with it.

#95685 by Drumbo38
Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:55 pm
Make sure that the snares are centered on the resonant head and loosen the 2 bottom lugs near the snares on each side until you see wrinkles start to develop, then tighten the lugs back about one half of a turn or so. This will eliminate quite a bit of the sympathtic rattle you are hearing.

Cymbals are a tough choice. I agree you really need to play and hear them for yourself before you buy them. I never buy cymbals without testing them myself first. If you have the dough, start with some Zildjian "A" Customs. These are my personal favorites. If you are cash poor, try the Sabian XS20 series. I like these better than any of the bottom of the line Zildjians.
#96029 by jonznk111
Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:36 pm
Thank you guys for your help.After all these years of playing I never knew fixing the snare problem was so simple but we are always learning no matter how old we get...Once again,thanks for your help on both issues.

Jon
#97560 by SeanJonesDrums
Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm
Is it a buzz? If it is, it is sympathetic vibration because your snare and toms are tuned too closely. Try raising the pitch of the toms or the snare drum. If it is a rattle in the drum, take the drum apart, examine it, pack the lugs with cotton, and make sure heads, rims, snare strainer, etc. are in good shape. I hope this helps.

#102522 by Drummerboy007
Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:36 am
You may have already gotten what you needed, but please allow me to
reply as well.

First of all, I recommend that you watch this Bob Gatzen video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcHAFgafPkE

Secondly, I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend getting Rhythm Tech's
Active Snare System snares. They are pre-tensioned snares attached to
an aluminum brace the length and thickness of the snares. See:

http://www.rhythmtech.com/products/acc/ ... snare.html

After I first used these, POW! The snares stopped vibrating and I got way
increased sensitivity from my snares and a much, much broader "voice"
for "tensioning" of the snares.

Also, I tend to tune my batter head, an Evans EC Reverse Dot, fairly
tight, -which is probably somewhat tighter than average compared to
other drummers. I play a Chad Smith Signature snare. Boy do I get a
beefy cannon sound out of it. It is still sensitive, but no buzz anywhere,
ever.

I hope this helps. I wish I could tell the world.

#105502 by Procrast
Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:11 am
I agree with Drummerboyoo7 the rythymtech snares are unbelievable! I got my first one as a gift YEARS ago and have never used anything else since.

#116552 by Shadow Road
Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:36 pm
If none of the above work for you (which it probaly will or until get what you need) then you can take some sowing thread and weave in through the snare. Use small thread and it will not effect the sensitivity but will help with rattle.
#232679 by mark1000434
Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:04 am
Menotu wrote:If none of the above work for you (which it probaly will or until get what you need) then you can take some sowing thread and weave in through the snare. Use small thread and it will not effect the sensitivity but will help with rattle.