This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Let your thoughts be heard about the latest news and gossip in the music world.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#68325 by Cristov
Sat May 23, 2009 6:35 pm
I am sickened by all the white kids out there(yes i am white) listening to rap thinking they are hardcore gangsters! it drives me nuts, i am NOT your freakin HOMIE! :evil: anyways, mainstream is getting too talentless, everyone says oh metal sucks because they have no talent blah blah blah. I garantee any heavy metal guitarist could blow guitarists from any genre out of the water anytime. People shouldnt judge music they know nothing about, they shouldnt like a band only because thats what everyone else likes, my hell people! live your OWN life!
#68330 by RGMixProject
Sat May 23, 2009 7:14 pm
Cristov wrote:I am sickened by all the white kids out there(yes i am white) listening to rap thinking they are hardcore gangsters! it drives me nuts, i am NOT your freakin HOMIE! :evil: anyways, mainstream is getting too talentless, everyone says oh metal sucks because they have no talent blah blah blah. I garantee any heavy metal guitarist could blow guitarists from any genre out of the water anytime. People shouldnt judge music they know nothing about, they shouldnt like a band only because thats what everyone else likes, my hell people! live your OWN life!

Good one, but I think you should say what you really feel! :twisted: :lol:
#68347 by fisherman bob
Sat May 23, 2009 11:40 pm
Cristov wrote:I am sickened by all the white kids out there(yes i am white) listening to rap thinking they are hardcore gangsters! it drives me nuts, i am NOT your freakin HOMIE! :evil: anyways, mainstream is getting too talentless, everyone says oh metal sucks because they have no talent blah blah blah. I garantee any heavy metal guitarist could blow guitarists from any genre out of the water anytime. People shouldnt judge music they know nothing about, they shouldnt like a band only because thats what everyone else likes, my hell people! live your OWN life!
Glad you chimed in here on Bandmix forum. I agree wholeheartedly. I see a lot of young white suburban teenagers dressed up like gangstas with their tattoos, giving hand signs, blasting the rap on their car stereos. I don't see how anybody can relate to that lifestyle. I have no idea what 99% of the rap artists are saying. Maybe I'm too old and not hip any more. As far as your saying any heavy metal guitarist can blow guitarists from any genre out of the water I agree and disagree. The top metal guitarists have incredible technical proficiency IN THEIR GENRE. That doesn't mean they can switch to blues and blow say Stevie Ray Vaughan out of the water IN THE BLUES. Top guitarists in any genre got to the top by WORKING THEIR BUTTS OFF IN THEIR GENRE. A top blues guitarist isn't going to be able to touch any great metal guitarist IN METAL. Get the album Loading Zone by Roy Buchanan and listen to it and then tell me if any metal guitarist could duplicate what Roy did. Could any metal guitarist pull off Rude Mood the way Stevie Ray Vaughan did? Your opinion is obviously in favor of metal because that's the genre you prefer. I have the utmost respect and awe for anybody that can play metal at the highest level. I couldn't touch what some of those bass players are doing. I would be like a duck out of water. A metal bassist couldn't duplicate what I can do in the blues either. Just my opinion...

#68441 by Starfish Scott
Mon May 25, 2009 3:45 pm
Nice Bob, well put. I couldn't have written that any better..

GENRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ECHOING SCREAM)

Look it up if ya don't know what it is..!!!!!!!!

#68467 by philbymon
Tue May 26, 2009 7:41 am
Eh...there'll always be crap out there that someone will buy. So what? Averade Joe's IQ has never been that of a whiz kid. The greatest players & singers have never been mainstream because of that.

I'd be happy with a "cult following." Average ppl don't interest me in the least - not as performers, & not as audiences.

As far as the urban mentality of our youth, I just think it's all funny shiznits. Hard to be offended by ppl who are personally, racially, & socially challenged to that degree.

Do you really think that heavy metal guitarists are all that, while other genres aren't? Sorry. that statement is as ridiculous as the one that says there is no talent in metal (which I've never heard ppl saying, btw).

But thanks for the advice, even though it's unnecessary - I've ALWAYS lived my own life.

#68477 by Dave Bolin
Tue May 26, 2009 3:50 pm
As far as the youth goes, whatever entices them to try an emulate the rappers, for many of them will be short lived I'm sure. If that's what they think is cool then so be it. No one could tell my generation what was cool and what wasn't. I personally don't care for it (some of it is tollerable) but that is the beauty of music, there's something for everyone. If you want to make it a racial thing I'm sure the black rappers would agree totally about the WHITE kids being wannabees. But remember the same thing happened with blues, rock, and even some country all stemmed from our black brothers and sisters. That's what made Elvis so successful (He sounded black) So who's to say that the white kids (gangstas) won't take it in a different direction than their black predecessors. Or maybe the seperation of blacks and whites could be closing. If we can manage to let it happen. I say we just let it be.
Now on the topic of metal guitarist. WTF, who ever said they had no talent obviously has no idea what they are talking about. but making the comment that they could blow any other genre out if the water is also ridiculous. The true test of any musician is how fluent they can be in many genres show me the metal guitarist that can chicken pick with albert lee or speed licks with eddy,steve vai or hang with a genuine blues picker. Then you have the ultimate bragging rights, otherwise you're comparing apples to oranges. Peace Out!

#70002 by 1collaborator
Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:50 pm
The world is full of color. Many different shades and blends. Everyone has a favorite or two.

And its another day in Paradise !!!!
#70086 by Andragon
Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:59 pm

'Ey yo dawg, chill, homie! Na don't be hatin on ma shit!

#70103 by Starfish Scott
Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:11 am
The talent in mainstream is to trick everyone into thinking it's really quite good. LOL
#146865 by PaperDog
Fri May 20, 2011 4:56 am

Yeah I Agree... white kids acting like "dey frum da hood.." Its really stupid.

#146866 by PaperDog
Fri May 20, 2011 5:02 am
THE REBEL wrote:As far as the youth goes, whatever entices them to try an emulate the rappers, for many of them will be short lived I'm sure. If that's what they think is cool then so be it. No one could tell my generation what was cool and what wasn't. I personally don't care for it (some of it is tollerable) but that is the beauty of music, there's something for everyone. If you want to make it a racial thing I'm sure the black rappers would agree totally about the WHITE kids being wannabees. But remember the same thing happened with blues, rock, and even some country all stemmed from our black brothers and sisters. That's what made Elvis so successful (He sounded black) So who's to say that the white kids (gangstas) won't take it in a different direction than their black predecessors. Or maybe the seperation of blacks and whites could be closing. If we can manage to let it happen. I say we just let it be.

Its one thing to emulate, borrow and assemble a performance/artistic style...for a song that calls on it... Its quite another to try to pass it off as though its what the artist "is"... White folks cannot possibly represent the angst that black folks have harbored for years... Eminem did it ...and got away with it because he admitted he wasn't trying to be like the blacks... Instead He was trying to out-do them at their own style. He never disrespected it... He set out to lead it.
#204301 by downbymysins
Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:03 am
The best thing you can do as a musician is write and perform your own good music because it is good and because you like it, not because it is popular. :D

#219525 by zar535135
Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:26 pm
i agree with the "white bread suburban wanna-bes" comment. Im an older musician and have had to deal with the "My mommy still wipes my nose" white gangstas types. Too much MTV Yo Raps back in the day. It must be hard for these "white" gangstas to have a hard day on the streets,then go home where mom has done their laundry and made their bed and have a hot dinner waiting for them...And I also agree with Bob...there are musicians that in their genre are held in high asteem and acknowledged for their talent. But it is irresponsible to say that certain type of guitarist are better than the next,just based on what type of music they play. I respect the technical aspect of "Metal" guitarists, but the flurry of speed doesnt really do it for me. I prefer soul and feel to speed and flash. Being a Bass player, Back in the day (80s) metal/hard rock bass players were one note wonders, just lay down a foundation and ride one or two notes..ala Cliff Williams and Ian Hill. Today Metal/hard rock bassist have found their voice and have much talent..
#219532 by Starfish Scott
Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:04 am
downbymysins wrote:The best thing you can do as a musician is write and perform your own good music because it is good and because you like it, not because it is popular. :D

BING, that man wins a prize.

#219556 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:02 pm
zar535135 wrote:i agree with the "white bread suburban wanna-bes" comment. Im an older musician and have had to deal with the "My mommy still wipes my nose" white gangstas types. Too much MTV Yo Raps back in the day. It must be hard for these "white" gangstas to have a hard day on the streets,then go home where mom has done their laundry and made their bed and have a hot dinner waiting for them...And I also agree with Bob...there are musicians that in their genre are held in high asteem and acknowledged for their talent. But it is irresponsible to say that certain type of guitarist are better than the next,just based on what type of music they play. I respect the technical aspect of "Metal" guitarists, but the flurry of speed doesnt really do it for me. I prefer soul and feel to speed and flash. Being a Bass player, Back in the day (80s) metal/hard rock bass players were one note wonders, just lay down a foundation and ride one or two notes..ala Cliff Williams and Ian Hill. Today Metal/hard rock bassist have found their voice and have much talent..

You realize that this thread was started 4 years ago, right? Isn't mainstream rap pretty much dead now? (hoping)