This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Let your thoughts be heard about the latest news and gossip in the music world.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#38490 by gbheil
Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:06 pm
Yea, That would be one of those steriotypes. Lots of rockers in Texas.
Stiill I thought I heard someone outside yell "get a rope"! :D

#38529 by philbymon
Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:05 pm
Capt. Scott wrote:multiple styles well??

HOGWASH.

Play what you feel. Others are useless, as they don't come from the soul.

You say potAto and I say Potato. lol

Perhaps I have more feelings than some ppl, then, Cap. I feel country. I feel the blues. I feel love songs & hate songs & protest songs & funny songs & rock & even some classical occasionally. I only wish I had the skills to express all the feelings that I have.

That, imo, is what separates a MASTER from the rest of us hacks.

#38624 by Starfish Scott
Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:41 pm
Eat rocks, jr.

If you LOVE country and you play it, then great. If you love anything and you play it, great.

IF you HATE it and you play it well, you are still a sellout bitch.

Fact is, if you play something you don't love just because you think you should, you aren't a master, you are a chameleon.

A MASTER plays what he likes and everyone else thinks it's great too, because it's well played and has emotion.

I don't play no fing freebird crap, but we do play BLACK BETTY because we like it. You can play BOY GEORGE well, but I doubt anyone will think you are a master because you can dress in drag and play "I'll tumble for ya."

#38628 by philbymon
Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:57 pm
Oh, c'mon, Cap!

I said nothing about emulating the strange, nor did I mention selling out by playing stuff you hate. I'm talking about playing different genres of music, & I contend that there is something worthwhile in nearly every genre, for most of us.

To play only one kind of music makes you closed to the benefits of learning what the other genres have to offer, & it narrows your abilities to BE a "MASTER" of music.

Simply because you're closed-minded approach may get you all the gigs you ever wanted, since it's so popular, that doesn't mean that you could ever be a musical master. Don't tell me that you've never played a love song (emo!) or a country tune. You're old enough that I know better.

Also, by knowing how to play it, & play it well, that doesn't necessarilly mean that you have to play it all at every gig. You need to know how it's done, though, & be able to play it well, to be a true master of music. When Bela's touring & playing in his bluegrass act, he doesn't dump any jazz into the set lists, cuz his audience wouldn't approve. When he plays his jazz, however, he does occasionaly slip in a bluegrass piece, cuz that audience is a lot more open-minded & can appreciate both the musical style & the skill involved.

#38668 by gbheil
Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm
I want to get good enough to be a studio guitarist for any genre'
Not that I would enjoy that much, but just think how much harder I could ROCK.

#38691 by ghost 62
Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:00 pm
im glad im not the only one who doesnt like american idol .if they want to keep me entertained come out with american stripper.women only of course :twisted:

#38742 by Starfish Scott
Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:59 pm
I think American idol contestants should have to be gladiatorial participants as well.

Oh and bring back THE GONG for AI. .,, lol

LOVE SONG? ah no.. Closet thing I ever played to country was the Theme From Rawhide.. and yeah it seemed like Bob's Country Bunker, that night..

#38745 by philbymon
Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:41 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You funny, Cap!